Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Cold Reload

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

konman wrote: »
    not sure where to post this but the better knowledgable here on about a greenland high establishing or not, but if im not mistaken didnt we have a greenland high much of may, june, july, august and september last year?

June and July especially Konman. Awful months really.

Below is the MSLP (based on 12z reports) as well as the mean 2m temperature which are based on 18z readings for the north Atlantic region for June 11:

191646.png
    IMAGE SOURCE: ECMWF

A good, healthy 'greenie' there steering in polar sourced westerlies over Ireland. July had pretty much a similar set up though it declined somewhat during August and September.

Pray let us not have a repeat of that summer again for a long long time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I got it right this winter, discounting the odd blizzard here or there.

Sorry I missed your LRF or remember you making a forecast , my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Not to forget Ken who left this on the 5th of Jan

http://media.todayfm.com/podcast/51156/

Not a million miles off, this time!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well cant say Im too inspired by the 12z , I think a few days off are in order ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I thought I'd put this in here seeing as it's a chat thread. Can I set you to thinking about the weather in London this coming weekend please?

My daughter is off early Friday to London for a school trip. They're only allowed bring a Ryanair carry-on size case. Would she be better off wearing a down jacket and snow boots while over there? Will it be cold enough for that or should she just wear usual winter gear? My head is wrecked going through the 7 day forecasts trying to figure it out. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

I thought I'd put this in here seeing as it's a chat thread. Can I set you to thinking about the weather in London this coming weekend please?

My daughter is off early Friday to London for a school trip. They're only allowed bring a Ryanair carry-on size case. Would she be better off wearing a down jacket and snow boots while over there? Will it be cold enough for that or should she just wear usual winter gear? My head is wrecked going through the 7 day forecasts trying to figure it out. :D

Yes, have her wear a down jacket or some other warm coat as well as a woollen hat! It'll remain very chilly (but mostly dry) in SE England, with temperatures struggling to rise much above freezing point by day. As for snow boots, I don't think they'll be necessary, as there won't be any snow on the ground. However, warm footwear of some kind should be the order of the day.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thank you kindly, Conor.

I was looking at the pictures of snow on the ground there at the moment and was going a bit wild with the boots. Not sure now though, it's either Converse or her fancy boots. Neither are terribly suitable. :(

Thank you kindly, Conor.

I was looking at the pictures of snow on the ground there at the moment and was going a bit wild with the boots. Not sure now though, it's either Converse or her fancy boots. Neither are terribly suitable. :(

There was never much snow on the ground there and most of it has melted by now anyway, as this webcam shows:

http://www.abbeyroad.com/Crossing

My prediction is that it'll be very cold but dry and snowless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I got it right this winter, discounting the odd blizzard here or there.

I think the Donegal Postman accurately predicted this winter back in late October saying Ireland will have a mild, bland winter and that's exactly what we have to this day bar a few chilly days and about 4 night frosts so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think the Donegal Postman accurately predicted this winter back in late October saying Ireland will have a mild, bland winter and that's exactly what we have to this day bar a few chilly days and about 4 night frosts so far.

Actually apart from the above average temps the real tale this winter so far is the tiny number of air frosts - from October to today, about three or four.

Must be some kind of record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭thomasj

I think there must have been two days if even this winter that the cold air came out of my mouth when i spoke/breathed and that was within the last few weeks.

I heard they gritted the roads this/last week in dublin, and i noticed a fair few places selling snow grips for shoes, another flop!

While im not sure winter might be over just yet especially given we had record breaking temperatures last october and november and nature tends to spring a surprise when we least expect it im starting to lose hope we'll see snow this side of spring! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Oh my goodness the despondency in here. We get weather 365(6) days a year. Surely we can find something to talk about whilst we wait for the snow. C'mon. Chins up folks !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Chin up everyone !

lol

cfs-2-336_eoz9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Chin up everyone !

lol

cfs-2-336_eoz9.png

I bloody wish!!!! Ah well lucky sods in 2/3 of the rest of Europe :P

Im off to London next monday morning and was wondering the EXACT same, ' '

'what to wear, what to bring OMG OMG OMG ?? Hard squeezing a load of stuff into a small bag. LOL, bleedin Ryanair. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Some very dence fog,around parts of kildare/wicklow,be carefull if your goning out driving,walking ect...

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Met E now going for normal temps at end of the week :confused:

My head hurts with all this chopping and changing

ZX7R wrote: »
    Some very dence fog,around parts of kildare/wicklow,be carefull if your goning out driving,walking ect...

Ditto in east Co. Galway. Very dense.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Ditto in east Co. Galway. Very dense.

No fog in East Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

darkman2 wrote: »
    Yeah we seem to be headed for a quiet period of weather with high pressure near by or situated over us. Cold at night but nothing spectacular yet. Often prior to a strong Greenland block becoming established we have a week or two of high pressure dominating our weather before retrogressing Northwest. That seems the most likely scenario now. But things do change quickly aswell and you never know when the models might pick up on a sudden signal.

Ah darkman, I do always love your optimism!

While I'm gutted we might not get to see any snow this winter I am delighted that some settled weather may be on its way. Cool, clear and sunny winter days can be lovely and there's been far too few of them recently.

After the miserable summer we got I genuinely thought there'd be a lot more dry, sunny and settled weather over the winter months as I thought that the Atlantic couldn't possible keep dominating our weather for another entire season. How wrong was I!?

Maybe this upcoming settled period is a sign of a less Atlantic-dominated weather pattern in Ireland for the weeks ahead.

• Advertisement

compsys wrote: »
    Cool, clear and sunny winter days can be lovely and there's been far too few of them recently.

I wouldn't be too sure of that either.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

yes as darkman says things still delicately poised but the Atlantic seems to have a strong grip over us for... well forever now. We are stuck in this weather forever and all weather forecasters can just write as the weather forecast on their sites ditto with outbreaks of ditto and continuing ditto.

On another note wont this be one of the mildest Winters ever. It certainly is the mildest 3 months I can remember. Even in the 90s which were mild there was some cold nights at times. This Winter will average at least 6c if the models dont change. Thats mild.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Personally I feel this winter is over, in the 7 years I been reading this forum, this winter has to be the most dissapointing waste of a winter and tbh cant wait for it to be over at this stage. Theres only 3 weeks of winter left now and the signs do not look good for Ireland. We may get snow in March but that's Spring and March is when I normally expect temperatures to start rising with thoughts of a another warm April hopefully. Many parts of Ireland have not seen a flake of snow fall since Christmas Eve 2010, what a shame. Looking on the bright side I think winter 2012/2013 can only be better than this one.

Me too; I agree entirely! I can't wait for this miserable winter to be over! At least we've the annual summer monsoon to look forward to now! :rolleyes:
    I really need to move to another country and climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Oh well thats just great then, not only can I not lamp post watch, I can't planet or star watch either. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yes fog!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

baraca wrote: »
    Yes fog!!!!
    Lucky you :cool: ;)

Not Like Joey B to go off on one but :

Joe Bastardi @BigJoeBastardi Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Uk people.. some milder weather this week before atmospheric anarchy in UK next week. This does not look warm to me. pic.twitter.com/zfRFsuKT

I can only presume he means us Irish in that too as the HP seems to be sitting off west coast but not over us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Not Like Joey B to go off on one but :

Joe Bastardi @BigJoeBastardi Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Uk people.. some milder weather this week before atmospheric anarchy in UK next week. This does not look warm to me. pic.twitter.com/zfRFsuKT

I can only presume he means us Irish in that too as the HP seems to be sitting off west coast but not over us

I think we need some divine intervention from mother nature.
    I'm new to these weather discussions and its like looking for a needle in a haystack,or fishing for trout off season LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Esk1m0

Conor30 wrote: »
    Yes, have her wear a down jacket or some other warm coat as well as a woollen hat! It'll remain very chilly (but mostly dry) in SE England, with temperatures struggling to rise much above freezing point by day. As for snow boots, I don't think they'll be necessary, as there won't be any snow on the ground. However, warm footwear of some kind should be the order of the day.:)

Totally agree. I’ve been based here in the city of London for the past 3 weeks and it has been very cold and of course snowy (though most has now melted in the London area). This east wind is truly bitter today! Looks to be very chilly through the weekend as well. The UKMO issued a Cold Weather Alert – Level 3 a couple of weeks ago and keep extending the time frame. Currently set to end Friday but I can see that being extended again. I would add gloves and a scarve to the necessary items of clothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Even MT has lost interest in our weather!

Looking at his forecast today all he has to say is Mild, wet, cool and that's our weather covered for ooh, perhaps the next MONTH??????

Give me very cold dry and sunny please or else snow.

I detest this "Meh" weather........!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement