Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO form/Application

• 29-01-2012 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

Hey im only after remembering I need to apply for college! So is it to late? How do I apply? and where do I go to apply? Also how do I pay for it? cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Read the sticky at the top of this forum if you haven't done so: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056474257

Also, apply before the first of February as it's €40, whereas it's €60 afterwards!

You pay by credit/debit card online. You can also pay by bank giro as far as I know, but it takes longer, and you want to make sure to get the application in before 1st February!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Oh right but there is like no office I can go into and get someone to help me fill it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Oh right but there is like no office I can go into and get someone to help me fill it up?
    Read the CAO handbook before you fill it (it might be a bit of a bore, but it's very important) and make sure you understand how it works, especially how the preference system works (first choice, second choice, etc and how you're only offered one choice from your Level 8's and Level 6/7's). I'd recommend filling it up online, it's easier, cheaper and you can't exactly forget anything.

It's up to you what courses you would like to study after school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Not that I know of, as such, but you can also go to a career guidance teacher and they'll be able to help you choose courses, work CAO etc.

If you know which courses you want to apply for, that's the hard bit - paying for and filling in your CAO is easy. Read the CAO Handbook (linked to in the sticky), it's quite thorough and should answer a lot of the questions you need!

Sites like www.qualifax.ie and www.careersportal.ie contain databases of college courses in Ireland, along with entry requirements, description, and CAO codes!

jumpguy wrote: »
    Read the CAO handbook before you fill it (it might be a bit of a bore, but it's very important) and make sure you understand how it works, especially how the preference system works (first choice, second choice, etc and how you're only offered one choice from your Level 8's and Level 6/7's). I'd recommend filling it up online, it's easier, cheaper and you can't exactly forget anything.

It's up to you what courses you would like to study after school.

Im looking to go to killybegs to do the fetec level 6 and 7 in practial cookery. but its not listed on the courses. This is the most mind bogeling thing ive ever done.

• Advertisement

Im looking to go to killybegs to do the fetec level 6 and 7 in practial cookery. but its not listed on the courses. This is the most mind bogeling thing ive ever done.
    You sure that isn't Culinary Arts at Killybegs with Letterkenny IT (course code LY346)?

jumpguy wrote: »
    You sure that isn't Culinary Arts at Killybegs with Letterkenny IT (course code LY346)?

Oh that must be it. :eek: Im awful at things like this. Sorry about that.

Oh that must be it. :eek: Im awful at things like this. Sorry about that.
    'Scool, don't be afraid to ask if you need a hand. :)

Im just filling up the application form now. Last year I done my leaving cert. But it was the leaving cert applied. Im now doing a fas fetec level 5 culenry arts course. Does it matter that I done the applied leaving?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No it doesn't, if you are using your FETAC Level 5 results for entry (make sure you have a full level 5 award) to the course.

I would advise you to ask a teacher at college on Monday for help with your form. It's not worth taking the chance of making a mistake at the application stage and it will do on Monday to submit your form.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    No it doesn't, if you are using your FETAC Level 5 results for entry (make sure you have a full level 5 award) to the course.

I would advise you to ask a teacher at college on Monday for help with your form. It's not worth taking the chance of making a mistake at the application stage and it will do on Monday to submit your form.

That will do cheers!

Applied today! Culinary Arts for the following.
    Letterkenny IT
    Athlone
    Dundalk
    Mayo-Galway IT

so ready to cook up a storm. :)

Edit: Thanks for all the help guys!

Advertisement