Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problemo with parvo

• 29-01-2012 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Okay so story is one of my doggies died from an unrelated cause on the 6th of January.

My second dog belongs to my boyfriend but I currently have her as he's at college. Now when we got her we were told that she had her vaccines yada yada.

Turns out, my mum got a pup. So her first dog went and got its booster jab for parvo and, the pup got done at the same time for its first jab. Thinking that my dog was okay, we let her play with them etc.

So she got sick last week and spent the last week in the vets. They confirmed with blood tests that it was parvo and she was parvo positive. Now, the vet didn't give me a straight answer whether or not I should get her re-vaccinated, even though she had parvo.

I'm hoping someone here could give me some advice to get her vaccinated again or not. I honsestly thought she was vaccinated, my boyfriend sorted out the paperwork for his dog, I didn't. I just want to know peoples opinions and if a dog which had parvo can still have a long healthy life. I'm freaking out cos as I said earlier, I just lost my other 4 legged friend from a kidney disorder!

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I'm no expert on parvovirus but I understand enough of it, since my sister had 2 westies that both died from the virus in just a few weeks from each other.
    The inital + booster shots take 14 days to complete and need to be boosted yearly. So it might be prudent to take a few steps at home to try and contain it.

Firstly isolate the dogs from each other, and clean up their poop the same moment they make it. The virus dehydrates them very quickly, the will need 2-3 times their normal water supply.

Second, cleaning is important, and from what I understand again.. the virus is resistant to most cleaners. So in the home, surfaces, floors (tiles or lino) skirting boards, saddle boards etc use a 1:3 ratio bleach solution. Bleach is the only thing that can kill parvovirus in the home. Carpets, curtains furniture etc should be steamed. You have no idea where your dogs have been in the house, so to be safe, do everything.

thirdly, Yard or garden, if you have a fertiliser hose, refill it with Jeyes Fluid, and in a 1:3 ratio again, saturate everything from above head height all the way to the ground, (it won't harm the grass or plants, bleach will) you need to do this 4-6 times over 2 weeks when the virus has finally cleared out, and at least once a day while it's present.

You might think this is overkill, but it's not, the parvovirus can exist for up to 2 years where the dogs have pooped. The virus lives and is transferred from "pooped in" areas. (which is why it's responsible and hygienic to to pick up after your dog in public places.

If your vet wants to keep the dogs in isolation and on a drip, I would let him and thank him.

Finally, I'm not trying to scare you, but if you don't know about the virus and how to clean your property of it, I suggest you start learning all you can.

Here's a link: http://www.dogforums.com/dog-health-questions/27870-parvo-clean-up.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,799 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Vince32 wrote: »
    I'm no expert on parvovirus but I understand enough of it, since my sister had 2 westies that both died from the virus in just a few weeks from each other.
    The inital + booster shots take 14 days to complete and need to be boosted yearly. So it might be prudent to take a few steps at home to try and contain it.

Firstly isolate the dogs from each other, and clean up their poop the same moment they make it. The virus dehydrates them very quickly, the will need 2-3 times their normal water supply.

Second, cleaning is important, and from what I understand again.. the virus is resistant to most cleaners. So in the home, surfaces, floors (tiles or lino) skirting boards, saddle boards etc use a 1:3 ratio bleach solution. Bleach is the only thing that can kill parvovirus in the home. Carpets, curtains furniture etc should be steamed. You have no idea where your dogs have been in the house, so to be safe, do everything.

thirdly, Yard or garden, if you have a fertiliser hose, refill it with Jeyes Fluid, and in a 1:3 ratio again, saturate everything from above head height all the way to the ground, (it won't harm the grass or plants, bleach will) you need to do this 4-6 times over 2 weeks when the virus has finally cleared out, and at least once a day while it's present.

You might think this is overkill, but it's not, the parvovirus can exist for up to 2 years where the dogs have pooped. The virus lives and is transferred from "pooped in" areas. (which is why it's responsible and hygienic to to pick up after your dog in public places.

If your vet wants to keep the dogs in isolation and on a drip, I would let him and thank him.

Finally, I'm not trying to scare you, but if you don't know about the virus and how to clean your property of it, I suggest you start learning all you can.

Here's a link: http://www.dogforums.com/dog-health-questions/27870-parvo-clean-up.html

Jeyes fluid will not kill parvo virus,nor will frost or the like.
    Bleach will kill it in the correct ratio but it takes a very long time to get rid of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

For cleaning, try Trigene that vets use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Um, thats not really what I was asking?

Unbelieveably I've done all the cleaning inside and outside.. with the vets instructions.

I just didn't get a satisfactory answer from my vet about revaccinating her and wanted peoples opinions.

Sorry.

Which dog are you asking about, your post doesn't make it clear - your Mum's first dog, the pup she got, or your other dog? You say you were told your other dog had its vaccinations, have you got a vacc card with proof of that?

I had a litter of pups here, some got their first parvo vacc at 6 weeks. Whilst in the vets, one went to the toilet and it was very runny, and the vets said they didn't want to vaccinate the rest of the pups in case the pup had parvo, or similar. So we waited a few weeks, took them back and the vet re-vaccinated the ones who had already been done, and gave the others their initial vaccination. But this was the pup's initial, parvo only jab.

• Advertisement

Ah okay. Its my only dog at the moment.

I have got a vaccination card here, found it yesterday but i'm concerned since the vet in question is unreliable, and after my boyfriend got her vaccinated (I wasn't there at the time), he did mention she was sick but the vet told him it was normal.

I suppose I'm concerned about a few things.

Since she's parvo positive, my vet mentioned she would always have to be isolated from other dogs, which, as she's only 10 months could be detrimental to her progress training and behavior wise.

My vet also mention that i'm not to walk her where other dogs walk at all, so what am I suppose to do, never walk her again???? I live in a place where there is a lot of dogs living and walking everyday, and I want to be able to exercise her.

Also, she said I could never get another pup since my dog is parvo positive. I don't mind this but I'm very very disappointed that later on down the line (I'm talking years here), I'll never be able to get her a companion.

I'm concerned that she won't have a normal healthy life after this, the vet said it flares up again, so am I looking forward to a life of constantly running to the vets?? I suppose because I lost my first dog I might be over analyzing this, but i'm really concerned.

I would ask another vet. I've never heard of a dog being parvo positive and therefore never allowed to mix with any other dogs ever again. But, I'm not a vet, so I don't know if that is possible.

I have heard of dogs having parvo and surviving, and going on to live normal lives.

So I think a second opinion is probably the best thing to do.

Thanks ISDW. I thought it sounded quite wrong when the vet said it but i didn't question it.

I am going to get a second opinion I think then...

But as long as she gets her booster jabs up to date, she should be ok, no??

The inital + booster shots take 14 days to complete and need to be boosted yearly.

Like I said I'm no expert, but this chap, DMV (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine) is: http://www.greatdreams.com/eeyore/parvo.htm . This was 12 years ago, but it's the same info I got from my sisters vet, but I haven't read anything to the contrary yet...so I assume it's still the current thinking on the subject.

Basically the first shot @8 weeks, is a primer for other boosters to come, another booster is needed @12 weeks, and possibly again @16 depending on the breed. Then once yearly, as the virus mutates new vaccines are needed, and the year x one might not cover the year y one, or parvovirus 2a,2b and recently 2c.

Your vet will (or should) know his stuff, if your not satisfied a second opinion is a good option, and heavens above don't take unqualified information from the internets ( yes yes like mine now...) over a qualified medical professional. Parvo is very serious and should have your full attention until it clears.

Regarding immunity, The exact timing of the vaccine injections may vary, what is important is that the puppy receive the complete series. Veterinarians must do a better job educating dog owners about how vaccines work, and why the boosters are critical if we are ever to eradicate parvo from our dogs' lives

Dogs and cats that that come through the illness have a higher chance to resist the infection at a later time, but it's only a chance albeit better than an animal that hasn't been infected. Once the dogs are clear for period of time, they can resume normal activity. (again this is to the best of my knowledge, which is unqualified)
    Since she's parvo positive, my vet mentioned she would always have to be isolated from other dogs, which, as she's only 10 months could be detrimental to her progress training and behavior wise.
    Only for as long as parvo is present in the home, once the dog(s) recover, normal life can resume, you don't want your sick dog to infect healthy ones, either yours or someone else's.

Other than that, I can't really offer anything else. I hope you and your dogs come out the other side healthy and happy.

Vince, alot of breeders will get the puppies a parvo only vaccination at 6 weeks of age. Then they start their 'normal' course, including parvo again at 8 weeks, with the second booster two weeks later. This initial course of vaccinations isn't actually completed until the dog gets their first annual booster one year later.

• Advertisement

I understand all about the vaccines. My other dog that died was taken and got her beginning vaccines as well as her booster jabs every year, so I understand all that.

I'm taking this seriously, deadly seriously because I could not cope with loosing my other pet. I've my house spick and span and I won't be taking her outside for the forseeable future, maybe 3 or 4 weeks. I'd hate to think I gave the virus to another dog.

My pup will have to be content with the kitchen as an obstical course and the back yard for now. :)

I am a responsible dog owner and I am very concious of dog health and nutrition. I guess I'm just a little ancy about it all. I feel like a failure even though I know I could not have done anything to stop it.

I'll take people advice on board and let you all know how Rusty is getting on!

Yeah ISDW that's right, but I thought we were talking about the pup, not the adult? so the yearly booster would not be an issue.
    My mistake, However the shots are given, and on what schedule there must a primer and a booster shot given about 2 weeks apart, and in 'at risk breeds' a third shot may be required. At least that's my understanding of the whole thing, if I'm wrong please correct me, I'd hate to be giving bad advise on such a serious topic.

If it were me, I'd keep the pup away from the adult until it comes through, and keep a close eye on the pup, if it gets sick before the 14 day booster period is up it will need antibiotics and possibly a drip. My sister's westies were only pups and we (the whole family) were ignorant and uninformed about the seriousness of the affliction, until it was too late, if we had of taken action sooner they would still be with us... damn that's very sad...

The adult, with annual booster done, should be strong enough to come through with the vets help.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm sure all the animals will come through, your doing everything you can to help them along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Personally I avoid information given on US sites in regard to practically everything tbh. At worst it's unreliable and often impossible to find out if the source is actually who or what they say they are and only confuses matters. At best the same information doesn't apply to Europe, I doubt very much that we have the same strains of diseases here or the same vaccine manufacturers and we definitely have a very different approach veterinary medicine.

OP I would ring the vet and ask them to clarify the issue here as there seems to be some confusion in the communication of what you are supposed to do. If the information still sounds incorrect then ask another vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

ISDW wrote: »
    I have heard of dogs having parvo and surviving, and going on to live normal lives.

+1 my boy nearly died from parvo when he was only a few weeks old, we were told to expect the worse, in fact one vet suggested just putting him to sleep. Thankfully he pulled through and is now 4 years old and fit as a fiddle. He has a totally normal life.

I was never advised to not walk him, just to be very very vigilant about cleaning his messes when out, which of course we do anyway. Obviously we couldn't walk him until he was re-vaccinated but after that you should be fine.

The virus can last up to 2 years, so do not have any very young, very old, ill or un-vaccinated dogs in your garden for that time. But healthy, vaccinated dogs should not be a problem. (please get a medical opinion on this)

With regards to vaccinations, you definitely need a second opinion because it will depend on your individual circumstances. In our case, the the vaccinations started again when the pup was fully recovered.

You might hear a lot of people tell you that they never fully recover, I certainly was, I thought I had a lifetime of a sickly dog ahead of me. Even when he was recovered I was told by someone, an experienced "dog person" that it would be kinder to have him PTS because he'll never be healthy.
    This handsome fella disagrees.

383261_199750870100974_100001981871592_422710_1096110270_n.jpg He's a picture of health!

On another note, OP I'd try to get a vet who you feel you can rely on. My vet has been a life saver on so many occasions and in my opinion its really important to have a good relationship.

Maybe if you post your general area people could recommend vets in you vicinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

ISDW wrote: »

+1

In the earlier 80s my Dad got a present of a beautiful english setter pup from a friend. He got parvo and the vet said he wouldn't survive. My sister, who is a nurse & big into dogs, looked after 'Schnapps' for weeks and he survived. Anytime my sister met the vet he always talked about Schnapps and said he was the only pup he knew that survived parvo. Schnapps lived a great life. Lovely pet.

Thanks very much Whispered, your guy seems so lovely!!!

I was most concerned I suppose about her not having a full healthy happy doggy life.

I want to be able to enjoy things like the beach, woods and hiking with her, obviously when she's given the all clear.

I have her at home the last few days, she's eating and drinking well and back in great form!
    I've burned all her old toys and had to buy her new ones and got new bedding etc for her, she's spoilt!

Thats great to hear, when they start eating again it's a very good sign !! I'm so happy for you :)

She deserves to be spoilt !! after going through that, I couldn't be happier for both of you, it's a great relief.

Keep up the good work

Hey guys, just to keep you updated on my doggie situation!!

So she's having a great old time here at home, she really bounced back from it afterwards!! She's actually got fatter! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Zara23

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Ah okay. Its my only dog at the moment.

I suppose I'm concerned about a few things.

My vet also mention that i'm not to walk her where other dogs walk at all, so what am I suppose to do, never walk her again???? I live in a place where there is a lot of dogs living and walking everyday, and I want to be able to exercise her.

Also, she said I could never get another pup since my dog is parvo positive. I don't mind this but I'm very very disappointed that later on down the line (I'm talking years here), I'll never be able to get her a companion.

I'm concerned that she won't have a normal healthy life after this, the vet said it flares up again, so am I looking forward to a life of constantly running to the vets?? I suppose because I lost my first dog I might be over analyzing this, but i'm really concerned.

First off, that's ridiculous. I am a Veterinary Nursing student and work in a Vet practice and I can tell you that no dog with parvo (and I've seen about 50-60 cases) has ever been recommended to be isolated from other dogs forever. Of course parvo requires isolation for a few months until the virus is out of the system but they do not stay parvo positive forever. It is very resistant and can stay in the environment for years but as long as everything is cleaned with a parvocide you can of course get another dog down the line.

The survival rate depends on the age of the dog, the severity, how long he has been ill, vaccinations status etc. but honestly I would say about 50%.
    Dogs can still get parvo even when they are vaccinated, but this normally causes less severe symptoms. If this is the case with your dog, then the survival rate is even higher as he will not have been nearly as dehydrated. Just because he got it once does not increase his chances of getting it again once he is better, as long as he has vaccines up to date.

In relation to re-vaccination, was he already vaccinated and you want to know if he needs to be done again? Or was he not vaccinated and you want to know when he can be done for the first time?
    Either way you would need to wait as the parvo vaccine is a live vaccine which carries a small dose of the virus. You dont want to reintroduce it back into his system until he is 100% better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I agree with whispered ; v good advise.
    Sometimes with all the stress, dog leaping off vets table , running around with a biscuit & thermometer etc the vets message can get diluted or messed up!!
    Go back down & have a talk with them & bring a list of q's to tick off ; as you can see from here ; there is a lot of confusion!!!

My dog got parvovirus & was catastrophically I'll for months; also now a happy ending with the Monster running like a lunatic & eating in circles around her.
    Don't give up.

And for the record : I've worried about the parvovirus/ will other pups/dogs catch it from me question too. Parvovirus I was told lives on grass, footpaths, public areas; everywhere.that's whynew pups are supposed to be kept in until their vacs are " safe". I don't know about un-vac'd pups in your home; but no vac'd dig that has visited me has ever caught parvo from my floors.
    Might be worth Q'ing your vet on that again too ; and maybe an over the counter visit to another vet; without the dog!!!!

I hope your pet is back on it's feet soon.
    & I'm sorry to hear about your first dog : (

• Advertisement

My dog is fine now, thanks.
    She was sick for the most of 2 weeks but as I said before, it happened more than a month ago and just wanted to say thanks to people for their advice!!

I've started to reintroduce her to certain family dogs, we go walkie at night time when nobody else is about!

Zara23, I think she was vaccinated, my boyfriend has her vet record but I might get it redone in a month or two to be certain. Thanks for saying she doesn't have to be kept in isolation forever, she's only being reintroduced to dogs I know for certain they are vaccinated!
    She stayed in the vets for one week and then the week after she came home she was a little down but now she's fabulous!!

Thanks Justathought. I'm finding it hard to keep her entertained on her own cos she was so used to having another doggie there and now she's bored! All her new toys are destroyed cos she's so energetic!! :)

Advertisement