Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Soldiers in WW2-tracing relatives

• 29-01-2012 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to start looking for graves etc of a relative who may have served in the US army during WW2? I was asked recently and tbh British soldiers in WW1 seem to be the ones with moe information available. The US is a whole other story.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I recently started looking for information on a relative of mine who was in the US Army Air Force in WW2 and went Missing in Action.
    When I started out I never thought I would discover so much information - not only did I learn the exact details of his death ( interesting but harrowing ) but I learnt the identity of the Luftwaffe pilot who shot his bomber down ! I have also made contact with veterans who knew my cousin and relatives of other members of his crew.

Most important thing to learn is the Unit details of the individual concerned when you have that you can Google it and hopefully bring you to forums of veterans and interested relatives.

My experience has been an amazing example of the power of the internet. The US seemed to keep a lot of records and this can only serve to help you in a search.

There is a website of the US Battlefields and Monuments Commission and you can do a search using a name and this will also provide the unit details.

PM me if you need a few tips !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

National Archives has a system for searching for service records:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

Advertisement