Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made dog biscuits !

• 29-01-2012 1:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

11 p.m. and decided to look for recipes online, came accross one that I had all the ingredients for, decided to give it a go. It's REALLY easy and made 40 good size biscuits !!

I didnt have bone shaped moulds (ordering them on eBay now!) so I used Xmas ones . . . here is a picture.

Let me know if you want the recipe and if you want to put your own recipe in this thread to share with others that would be great!

;-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Oh do post up the recipe, I'm always interested in dog treat recipes. I sometimes make liver cake, liquidise the liver (usually lamb I use), throw in some flour, an egg I think, maybe some chopped carrot and a few cloves of crushed or chopped garlic then stick it in a tin (lined with greaseproof paper otherwise it's impossible to remove from the tin without ruining the tin as I'v found out twice :pac:) and bung it in the oven til it looks about done. Very technical! :D Himself goes mad for it though, I chop it into loads of small bitesize pieces and use it for training. It does smell though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Cheesy Dog Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
    1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 tsp.garlic powder
    1/2 c. vegetable oil
    4 - 5 Tbsp. water

Combine everything except water

Whisk in food processor until consistancy of cornmeal

Then add water until mixture forms a ball. Roll it into 1/2" thickness and cut into shapes

Bake on ungreased cookie sheets about 10 min. (depending on size of shapes) at 200 degres

Cool and store in refrigerator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

That looks fantastic, maybe I'll give one to my brother for funzies, hell I might have one myself !

actually they may be dog biscuits but yes I might have one , they are just savoury cheese biscuits really. the house smelt lovely last night !!!

Keeper of secrets :pac: what site did you find them on?

• Advertisement

I'll have to try this one soon:

15 Minute Liver Treats

1 lb chicken livers
    1 cup flour
    1 cup corn meal
    1 Tablespoon garlic powder
    1 Egg

Place chicken livers and liquid in blender, liquify. Add egg, mix a minute more. Pour into bowl. Add flour, corn meal and garlic powder. Mix. Spray jelly roll pan with pam. Pour mixture into pan. Bake 15 minutes in 400 degree hot oven. Cut into small squares while still warm. Keep in freezer to prevent spoilage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

i made some last year - out of dry food lol!! My poor baba was on an diet of RC sensitivity at the time and nothing else as I was trying to figure out what was causing him probs so i ground it up, added enough water to get a paste and rolled it out, cut into shapes and baked it. I got bone cutters off ebay and everything lol!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

falabo wrote: »
    Cheesy Dog Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
    1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 tsp.garlic powder
    1/2 c. vegetable oil
    4 - 5 Tbsp. water

how many is cups?
    and the vegetable oil - how much also?
    and did doggy like them???

the dogs are going crazy for my biscuits !!

doesnt matter what cup you use as long as you're using the same one for all the ingredients . . . . just a standard big enough mug I suppose . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Realtine wrote: »
    how many is cups?
    and the vegetable oil - how much also?
    and did doggy like them???
    A cup is 8 fluid ounces volume. Since it's a volume measurement it's pretty difficult to convert to weight (obv a cup of sugar will weigh different to a cup of peanuts). Use a measuring jug to measure it out, or just about any cookery supply shop will sell measuring cups quite cheaply.

MAde them!

the doggies seem to like them.
    Mine were a bit thick tho will remember to squish them down a bit next time.

cool !! nice to know they love the biscuits !!

I found it really rewarding and relaxing to make my own dog biscuits !

Cool site! I have never been one to bake but I'll have a go at the Tuna biscuits :)

• 1 cup yellow cornmeal or 1/14 cup corn flour
    • 1 cup oatmeal
    • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    • 1 small can tuna in oil -- undrained
    • 1/3 cup water

love the Tuna biscuits recipe, will be making those next weekend !!! cant wait.

Vince32 wrote: »
    Cool site! I have never been one to bake but I'll have a go at the Tuna biscuits :)

• 1 cup yellow cornmeal or 1/14 cup corn flour
    • 1 cup oatmeal
    • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    • 1 small can tuna in oil -- undrained
    • 1/3 cup water

Feel free to post a picture of the Tuna Biscuits !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I've recently started making Nigellas recipe for cheesy feet, it's ok for dogs as well it's just basic ingredients and I've tried it with wholemeal flour as well but you need about 75g more added of the wholemeal.

I generally make dog cookies with rice flour, the dryness of the rice flour gives a crunchy biscuit, and it doesn't matter if the biccys come out hard in fact I bake them till they are to make sure they are good and crunchy.

My dogs love the wild salmon and parsley or the oat and honey ones.

You can just use a cup ..well a mug.. to measure out all the ingredients and add a little more water if it's too dry and a little more flour if it's too wet. Just needs to come to a ball (I used the food mixer with the dough hook) and you can roll it out on a floured surface.

1 cup flour (rice flour)
    1/2 cup of oats
    1 tin of wild salmon (or makerel or whatever fish you want) in oil
    1/2 cup of water
    About 3 tablespoons sunflower oil

Bung it all in together and mix, bake at 170 until you tap the top of the cookie and it's hard and a teeny bit browned around the edges.

The honey one is just (same again minus the fish) a good dollop of honey, an extra 1/2 cup of oats and a 1/4 teaspoon ish of ground cinnamon.

I've tried dehydrating liver pieces in the oven the dogs loved them and have made carrot cake using the same method as a banana bread but without bothering to add sugar, used a bit of honey instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sigma force, my dogs (and daughter) loved the peanut butter and banana muffins, just got more rice flour so will try out the fishy ones.
    Oliver loves his fishies!

Am a cookie cutter nutter and have zillions (well a box full) of cookie cutters and lots of different dog breeds like poodles, sheltie, daxie, gsd etc. bones, a big kennel and a paw cutter.
    Not that the dogs care about the shape that's purely for our own amusement.

The bone cutters are easy enough to get but I had to order all mine on ebay at the time but you can get the bone cutters in homevalue hardwares baking section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a big box of cookie cutters too, have cat, bunny, crocodile and some other animals, but no dogs, must take a look.
    Mine will have to make do with animals, dinosaurs or daleks!

• Advertisement

Am a cookie cutter nutter and have zillions (well a box full) of cookie cutters and lots of different dog breeds like poodles, sheltie, daxie, gsd etc. bones, a big kennel and a paw cutter.
    Not that the dogs care about the shape that's purely for our own amusement.

The bone cutters are easy enough to get but I had to order all mine on ebay at the time but you can get the bone cutters in homevalue hardwares baking section.

They look great..
    I had to use my christmas tree cutter they looked a bit odd but the doggies didn't notice.;)
    They definitely love them I gave them a choice bewteen a 'regular' bikkie and a homemade one and the homemade one won. I'll bake them a bit harder next time, make them a bit crunchier, and experiment with other recipes.

Great money saving tip...

I sometimes make a batch and freeze them in ziplock bags they thaw grand at room temp. Deffo does save money if you make a large amount and at least you know what's gone in to them some of the ingredients in the shop bought treats aren't very healthy. It's funny watching them eating a star shape they have to work around the pointy bits.

I've made doggy brownies using carob powder before, can be hard to get carob powder and carob chips where we are but they make a nice alternative so you can make doggy chocolate chips.

Doggy birthday cakes a cupcakes are popular with ours as well, we don't know the exact date of two of our dogs birthdays so we just bake a load on the one day and treat them all..they barely taste it though they just wolf the stuff down but I find baking doggy cakes or cupcakes with rice flour can make the cakes very dry so I need to rethink my ingredients.

Made homemade peanut butter the other day and the dogs have raw carrots smeared with it, seemed to like it.

No time to bake yet... lol never thought I'd say that !

It's on the list for 2moro, so saty tuned for pics :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I made up a batch of tuna and salmon biscuits today. Didn't follow any recipe as such just threw in whatever I could find. I'v no idea how much a proper cup is but I used a regular sized teacup as opposed to a mug.

1 185g tin of tuna in sunflower oil, undrained.
    About just less than half a tin of salmon.
    1 egg.
    About a quarter cup of porridge oats.
    Just less than a half cup of wheat bran.
    I initially added 1 cup of flour, half and half plain and self raising but I added probably close to a cup of again mixed flour later on to make up a dough. And flour to roll it out on the worktop.
    Less than half a cup of water.

Put the tuna, salmon and egg into a blender along with some water and blended for under a minute. Spooned this into a big bowl and slowly added the rest of the ingredients until I had a dough to flatten out. Cut out some star shapes and baked in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes for the bigger stars and 20 minutes for the smaller ones @ 175C. Cooled on a rack and hey presto! They rose only very slightly and gave the inside of them a slightly softer texture as my guy prefers softer biscuits rather than crunchier ones, some of them were too thick so I'd say roll to about a quarter inch.

Some of them before baking:

img1617px.jpg

Some of them in the oven:

img1620k.jpg

And the end result:

img1629u.jpg

img1633h.jpg

The little tiny ones are about the size of a €2 coin and handy for training treats. I'v got one very happy doggy who nearly inhaled the first biscuit I gave him! One question though as there's tuna and salmon in them should I keep them in the fridge or is an airtight lunchbox ok? Also can I freeze them?

I'm going chancing peanut butter cookies tomorrow using pretty much the same recipe just replacing peanut butter with fish. And maybe a weird question but I'v got a lunchbox full of leftover plain white cooked rice, I see no harm in throwing some of that in too? :confused:

zapperzy your biscuits look absolutely fantastic. I have just ordered some cookie cutters sahpe of a dog house, bone, dog ect ... also oredred some cear bags and ribbon .... will be handy for give away presents my dogs buddies !!!

Advertisement