Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Phone Cable Question

Options
  • 29-01-2012 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

I have a question regarding the phone cable coming into the house from outside.

Below is a picture of where the cable comes in (i took off the plastic cover and moved aside the cables for a better view)

IMG_1449.jpg

The black cable you see is the external cable coming in, it has just 2 copper wires (seemingly) that are attached to the bottom of the... thing there (no idea what it's supposed to be called) the cables on the top of the thing both run to phone sockets further inside the house.

Is this outdated wiring? i ask becuase our internet is always disconnecting and our phone is extremely crackly when making calls, i was trying to establish whether the problem was ours (inside the house) or our ISPs (outside the house)

Is there any DIY i can do to make the connection from outside to inside better? or would a rewiring help?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Just try tightening connections ,then plug in your phone to the nearest phone point,
    if you have an internet router you should have a filter aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

As above. Have you installed DSL filters on ALL plugged in phones/devices? Sounds like an unfiltered phone or device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Hi guys

I'm only using the one socket at the mo ( i disconneced the other one)

I'm using a filter on the socket that has a phone and dsl plug.

I've tried a few different filters, same result.
    Tried 2 different routers, same result,
    Tried different cables, same result

The socket has a very long cable linking it to the box thing (in the picture i posted) because it goes all the way around three door jambs, there might be some issue with that being so long maybe?

Phone lines plug into more than just phones nowadays. DVBs alarms. If you are sure or want to cut to the chase. Try this. Disconnect all the internal stuff from the main box in the picture (not the two thick black ones). Now get a cheap stickback phone point and wire it up with a few cm of cable. We have removed the internal wiring from the equation.

Plug in the router/phone filter, then phone and listen for a clear uncrackling tone. Now temporarily move router-modem to the area and test for a bit (assuming you can do without and wired ethernet connection for a bit at the current router location). This should at least eliminate the internal wiring but you will be stuck with 1 phone point and the router by it for a bit. If its still bad and you have filtered and wired the temp setup properly then it would suggest a line issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    If you are sure or want to cut to the chase. Try this. Disconnect all the internal stuff from the main box in the picture (not the two thick black ones). Now get a cheap stickback phone point and wire it up with a few cm of cable. We have removed the internal wiring from the equation.

Was going to try this and went to Homebase to try and get some cable, the only phone cables i saw had 4 different coloured wires, which ones need to be wired into the box thing or do i need something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

use what ever 2 colours u want , just make sure u do the same at the other end. Normally use blue and white blue....

Its just a temp hookup. Any two will do. On the Phone jack u buy there could be a number or terminal labels and colours. Some times R's or L1 L2 or red and green. With two terminals its obvious. If theres more just plug in a phone and splash the terminal combination till u hear something.

190414.PNG

Advertisement