Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO Bray Councillors with regard to Snow

• 29-01-2012 2:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭

Theres a serious possibilty of disruptive snow at low levels from about Thursday. MET Eireann won't start talking about it till its definate 2-3 days from the event.

While I am sure the Council staff did their best last year and the priority was the major roads, the treatment of the roads on the Seafront side off the town was almost non existant. At my end of the Meath road it was several days after the first falls on November 26th before the junction with Albert avenue was gritted and salted. The second time it was gritted was on the day of the thaw and it was not gritted at all for the second bout of snow from December 16th to 26th.

The result was one of our own parked vehicles +5 or 6 others on different occasions being T-boned by cars sliding across the junction. If our repair bill was anything to go by the total damage to all the cars must have been well over €25000. If those cars had not been parked there the Newsagents at the junction would have had a car through the window several times or even a fatality. Can you imagine some poor old dear or child just walking out of the shop as a car slid across the junction towards them.

This did not happen in the snow of Winter 09/10. Why? Because the council dropped off grit to several key locations such as junctions and slopes. After a day or two the residents realised that the council workers were not coming back and it was obviously there for residents to spread themselves. A bit of a lack of communication but we figured it out in the end :D Absolutely no problem with that. Actually it was a great idea because it freed up the overworked council workers to look after the main roads.

I would go out and spread more grit everytime I noticed cars starting to lose traction/slide again. The result was not one incident that Winter.

Why was that not done last year and can the council please do it this year if it snows.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Have you contacted them?

I think only one posts here

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

gah snow. last year was beyond a joke in wicklow town too! i live on the seafront here, and the council yard is on the seafront, but we still got no grit or nothing. snowed in (which as you can imagine, for a completely seafront location means the snow would have been a HUGE amount). i dread to think of it happening again

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cllrmcmanus

Hi Calibos

The council will provide grit and salt for residents to apply to non-principal roads in their area. The one proviso is that the residents have to provide a container for the grit in advance. If you contact customer care, they will be able to give you the rest of the details.

In an ideal world, we would like to be able to grit every road in the town, but we just don't have the budget, the staff, or the equipment.

We are better prepared for the snow (if it comes) this year. That being said, I think we did quite a good job during the last snow. Anyone who drove through Bray and out into Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown last year will have noticed that the roads were in much better condition in Bray/Wicklow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Good to know about the availabilty of grit Ronan. Thanks.

Like I said/alluded to in my previous post I am aware of the great work the hardworking council staff did on the main routes in the town last year and the year before and I know the resources aren't there to have enough staff to grit everywhere several times a day. I am just a bit perplexed why the great idea of leaving grit at traction blackspots for locals to spread that was implemented in January 2010 was not implemented again in Nov/Dec 2010. The only problem with January 2010 was no one informed the residents that it was theirs to use and people were afraid to touch it for 2 or 3 days until it was obvious the Council workers weren't coming back :D

Last year myself and 2 other residents in the area took it upon ourselves to grit the road several times a day with builders sand kindly donated my the Chinese proprietor of a local business.

It will be great to have access to the real stuff for the next snow. :D We seem to have escaped the worst of the cold and all of the snow experienced by our continental neighbours this week but with such a large pool of intense cold on the near continent never mind the east we are bound to get another easterly blast before February is out and this time the Atlantic might not come to our rescue!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Calibos wrote: »
    Good to know about the availabilty of grit Ronan. Thanks.

Like I said/alluded to in my previous post I am aware of the great work the hardworking council staff did on the main routes in the town last year and the year before and I know the resources aren't there to have enough staff to grit everywhere several times a day. I am just a bit perplexed why the great idea of leaving grit at traction blackspots for locals to spread that was implemented in January 2010 was not implemented again in Nov/Dec 2010. The only problem with January 2010 was no one informed the residents that it was theirs to use and people were afraid to touch it for 2 or 3 days until it was obvious the Council workers weren't coming back :D

Last year myself and 2 other residents in the area took it upon ourselves to grit the road several times a day with builders sand kindly donated my the Chinese proprietor of a local business.

It will be great to have access to the real stuff for the next snow. :D We seem to have escaped the worst of the cold and all of the snow experienced by our continental neighbours this week but with such a large pool of intense cold on the near continent never mind the east we are bound to get another easterly blast before February is out and this time the Atlantic might not come to our rescue!! :D

yes thank merciful we managed to escape with just a touch of frostbite, but thanks to phil the groundhog! winter is far from over, so there is another chance to get hit with the evil white stuff yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Hi Calibos

The council will provide grit and salt for residents to apply to non-principal roads in their area. The one proviso is that the residents have to provide a container for the grit in advance. If you contact customer care, they will be able to give you the rest of the details.

In an ideal world, we would like to be able to grit every road in the town, but we just don't have the budget, the staff, or the equipment.

We are better prepared for the snow (if it comes) this year. That being said, I think we did quite a good job during the last snow. Anyone who drove through Bray and out into Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown last year will have noticed that the roads were in much better condition in Bray/Wicklow!
    i live in charlesland greystones..where can i go to council yard to fill my own buckets with grit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maudi wrote: »
    i live in charlesland greystones..where can i go to council yard to fill my own buckets with grit?

no idea - this is about Bray

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Maudi wrote: »

The council yard is on the main road on the Killincarrig side of the Town Council offices. They have a supply of grit there. I got some last year and it was a great help. Just ask at the Town Council office for directions to the yard.

Advertisement