Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Aldi steak?

Options
  • 29-01-2012 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Whick Aldi steak is it that people are always raving about on here? The €9.99 one in the plastic pack or the €14 one in the box?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I get the ribeye in the box. Think it is E11.99?

I think it has more flavour then the sirloins in the box. Its amazing and melts in the mouth. It also has a little more fat in it. I think you need a bit of fat on a steak to get the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

its the one in the box, specially selected range. the rib eye is 11.99 and the fillet is 13.99. they are WELL worth it!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The ribeye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How big are these steaks.
    The prices sound very high.

Wholesale butchers FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Dinkie wrote: »
    I get the ribeye in the box. Think it is E11.99?

I think it has more flavour then the sirloins in the box. Its amazing and melts in the mouth. It also has a little more fat in it. I think you need a bit of fat on a steak to get the flavour.

+1 It's fantastic. A lovely treat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Mellor wrote: »
    How big are these steaks.
    The prices sound very high.

Wholesale butchers FTW

They are fairly big! You could feed 2 out of 1 steak if need be.

I find them great as a back up. If you don't feel like cooking on a sunday a couple of them and a bag of chips from the chipper and its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Just polished off the ribeye, home made chips, onions and mushrooms... heavenly:)
    Def the rib aye !

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

Yeah, it's the Angus Rib Eye. €11.99 for two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Tbh, the difference in taste between the rib-eye and the fillet doesn't justify the much higher sat-fat content in the former. I've had both and while the difference in flavour is negligible, the rib-eye has almost twice the saturated fat content of the fillet.

And I can't remember who posted about the prices seeming high, but €13.99 for two fillet steaks (generally about 6oz each) is significantly cheaper than my butcher, where I'd easily pay over €20 for the same weight. And, I'm sorry to say, the Aldi SS steaks are far superior taste-wise. My butcher isn't hanging his for long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I'm a big fan of the aldi rib-eye and striploin, best steaks I've ever gotten outside of a restaraunt but - have they made the rib eye's a lot thinner recently - I remember getting ones a year or so ago and they nice and thick, got one last week and it was very thin, hard to cook rare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

After seeing this thread I had a craving for a rib eye. I don't know about you Okedoke, but mine was just as thick as I remember. About 8oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

EddyC15 wrote: »
    After seeing this thread I had a craving for a rib eye. I don't know about you Okedoke, but mine was just as thick as I remember. About 8oz.

I thought it was the same weight alright but a smaller diameter and thicker - but I may be misremembering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

And if you're looking for a nice tasty burger that won't shrink when you cook it, try the Aldi Irish Angus QuarterPounders in the black box..They're the Specially Selected range-absolutely amazing and I'm not a huge burger eater
    :D

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Tbh, the difference in taste between the rib-eye and the fillet doesn't justify the much higher sat-fat content in the former. I've had both and while the difference in flavour is negligible, the rib-eye has almost twice the saturated fat content of the fillet.
    Sat fat conent means little. It's not a universat bad fat, despite what you hear.
    Raw fat content means even less, and the inter muscluar fat in rib eye is left in the pan.

How different is the calorie content?
    And I can't remember who posted about the prices seeming high, but €13.99 for two fillet steaks (generally about 6oz each) is significantly cheaper than my butcher, where I'd easily pay over €20 for the same weight. And, I'm sorry to say, the Aldi SS steaks are far superior taste-wise. My butcher isn't hanging his for long enough.
    Yuo pay per weight, both number of steaks. two steaks means nothing if I can't see them. 14 euro for 350g (12oz) of meat sounds very high for me.

I don't live in ireland, but in australia (which tends to be more expensive) it ranges from $15 to $35 a kilo. Which is a lot cheaper thna the prices above.

Are you sure they are only 6oz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Sat fat conent means little. It's not a universat bad fat, despite what you hear.
    Raw fat content means even less, and the inter muscluar fat in rib eye is left in the pan.

Yuo pay per weight, both number of steaks. two steaks means nothing if I can't see them. 14 euro for 350g (12oz) of meat sounds very high for me.

I don't live in ireland, but in australia (which tends to be more expensive) it ranges from $15 to $35 a kilo. Which is a lot cheaper thna the prices above.

Are you sure they are only 6oz?
    Beef in NZ and Oz is way, way cheaper than in Ireland. And its pretty good quality too.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Beef in NZ and Oz is way, way cheaper than in Ireland. And its pretty good quality too.
    It's been so long since I bought meat at home.
    When I went back at xmas, I ate out, or took no notice of prices.

But my dad did pick up a 2KG fillet of beef, and he certainly wasn't paying 50 euro a kilo

I'll have to compare the calorie content next time I'm there.

And I'm aware that you pay by weight in both cases. My point was that the price per kilo is still significantly lower in Aldi than in my butcher.

Just checked the weight online, the Aldi steaks are 200g each, so just over 7oz.

Haven;t been to Aldi in ages, just checked this today. 276kcal per steak for the fillet, 589 for the rib eye. And yes, they're the same weight.

Again, the difference in taste just doesn't justify it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,494 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€13.99 for two high quality 200g packed fillet steaks is good value

Superquinn (also sells high quality fillet steaks) sell a single 200g packed one for €9.99

That's 43% more expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ribeye is definitely the way to go imho.

if you want to try and do it a little differently, this lifehacker article has an interesting idea that i tried at the weekend of searing the steak from frozen and then finishing it in the oven and it worked out very well indeed. i think it would work out particularly well if you are the sort of person who likes their steak well done (i don't, i'd eat it raw if i was allowed:D) as it still keeps the steak juicy and tender.

http://lifehacker.com/5883796/for-a-perfectly-cooked-steak-sear-it-when-frozen-and-cook-it-in-the-oven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

unkel wrote: »
    €13.99 for two high quality 200g packed fillet steaks is good value

Superquinn (also sells high quality fillet steaks) sell a single 200g packed one for €9.99

That's 43% more expensive...

And according to an article in the Irish Times last year it's the exact same supplier!

SBWife wrote: »
    And according to an article in the Irish Times last year it's the exact same supplier!
    but is it the same steaks?

plenty of suppliers will provide produce for different big name chains, but it's not always the same stuff supplied to each chain.

personally i'd rather get it from aldi than superquinn though either way, i don't think the extra cost would be worth it even if it was different meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

They are described as the same fillets from the same animals!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2011/0822/1224302803354.html

SBWife wrote: »
    They are described as the same fillets from the same animals!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2011/0822/1224302803354.html
    that's moosic to my ears. :D

Advertisement