Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats Problem + LandLord

• 29-01-2012 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I am living in a house , I have been renting for over 18 months , I have now rats problem , Am I suppose to pay bills for getting them out ot LL.

I am looking for rat poision , I have heard strom is best but where to buy in dublin

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

topdost wrote: »
    I am living in a house , I have been renting for over 18 months , I have now rats problem , Am I suppose to pay bills for getting them out ot LL.

I am looking for rat poision , I have heard strom is best but where to buy in dublin

thanks
    I think the landlord could justifiably argue that you have responsibility for solving the rat problem since they arrived after your tenancy began.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Landlord is responsible for the cleaning of the house interior ONLY...if he/she "didnt" provide a hoover in the property at the time of the contract being signed and the tenant moving in.

The landlord is also responsible for the cutting of grass in front/and back garden...only if he/she "didnt" provide/leave a lawn mowerin the house,or the tennants to use and cut the grass.

thanks

Why have you got rats??

What is the problem that has caused the sudden rat problem??

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

A good cat is the best thing. You don't really want a rat to eat poison and then die under the floorboards... yuck... Mind you, then you've a cat to look after..

lisaj wrote: »
    A good cat is the best thing. You don't really want a rat to eat poison and then die under the floorboards... yuck... Mind you, then you've a cat to look after..

....................Depending on the contract signed between the tennant and landlord.

Some landlords have contracts in place for "no pets" to be kept in the house.

Just like some landlords have contracts that state no smoking.

A contract is a contract,at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Had a simular problem a few years back I explained the issue to the landlord who refused to deal with it, I told them I was going to ring the EHO, pest control company work me the following morning at 8am!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

thanks

I wouldn't use poison indoors. They make a terrible smell when the bodies decay in a hard to reach place. Get some old fashioned snap traps in a local hardware shop; don't use the rubbish ones you get in Woodies. Use peanut butter to bait them. Find the entry points and get the landlord to seal them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm a landlord my tenant rang on hysterics saying there was rats. I paid a company 145 Euro to get rid of them. It took them four visits and they told me how they were coming on which I rectified. Now I'm not sure if it was my responsibility or not. The reason I paid es to keep the tenant. Just put it to the landlord that you'll moved. If your leaving the place a mess it may be only fair you pay.

Advertisement