Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin 1 a good place for non europeans to stay?

Options
  • 29-01-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi i'm going to Dublin to work and would like to know where the good areas are.

I read about scangers or knackers? these people can attack everyone right. But they like to attack non europeans?

Maybe Talbot, mountjoy, gardiner street I will live in because it looks very nice on google maps.

I dont know what areas are good but I think maybe you can help me.

Thank you very much
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Best thing before you start is let us know where you'll be working and what's your budget like.
    We can help with areas then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 navsat

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Best thing before you start is let us know where you'll be working and what's your budget like.
    We can help with areas then.

I have 2000€ and I want to share apartment. I will work in city center.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

navsat wrote: »
    I have 2000€ and I want to share apartment. I will work in city center.

I'm guessing you're not aiming to spend €2000 on accommodation? You should have a look at the Grand Canal Dock area which is close to the city centre. If you're sharing, you should be able to find somewhere good for a decent price. You could also look at the Ranelagh and Rathmines areas which are about 20-30 minutes walk from the city centre (and the Luas runs through Ranelagh).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Hi i'm going to Dublin to work and would like to know where the good areas are.

I read about scangers or knackers? these people can attack everyone right. But they like to attack non europeans?

Maybe Talbot, mountjoy, gardiner street I will live in because it looks very nice on google maps.

I dont know what areas are good but I think maybe you can help me.

Thank you very much

I would avoid the areas you've mentioned above - they are probably some of the roughest parts of the city. I certainly wouldn't walk around them late at night.

Another poster mentioned Rathmines, Ranelagh etc, which are generally decent areas and very popular with renters. If you want Northside of the city - Stoneybatter, - Phibsborough, etc have decent, quiet parts.

Remember there's good and bad pockets everywhere, so whereever you're looking at be sure to go there in the late evening and see what it feels like after dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

For your own sake AVOID Talbot Street and Dublin 1 in general. It's like an open air heroin market.

Rent in Castleforbes D2 or near IFSC just avoid Sheriff st area and you will be grand.
    Why not Clontarf? it's a stop away (3 mins) on the dart and it's like heaven compared to D1.

Also look at Killester, Whitehall, Griffith Avenue, Drumcondra, Santry and Beaumont ALL within easy distance of the city centre and all quite safe.

Don't rent anywhere between Connolly station and Henry st. and Parnell to the Liffey if you value your safety and sanity.

D1 Is not a good place for anyone to live unless you want to be close to over a dozen heroin/methadone clinics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

For your own sake AVOID Talbot Street and Dublin 1 in general. It's like an open area heroin market.

Rent in Castleforbes D2 or near IFSC just avoid Sheriff st area and you will be grand.
    Why not Clontarf? it's a stop away (3 mins) on the dart and it's like heaven compared to D1.

Also look at Killester, Whitehall, Griffith Avenue, Drumcondra, Santry and Beaumont ALL within easy distance of the city centre and all quite safe.

Don't rent anywhere between Connolly station and Henry st. and Parnell to the Liffey if you value your safety and sanity.

D1 Is not a good place for anyone to live unless you want to be close to over a dozen heroin/methadone clinics.

Depressingly very accurate :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Some strange answers here. Apart from pockets of Nigerian Dublin 15, Dublin 1 has easily the highest proportion of non-European residents of any district in the country.

I want shops within walking distance, street view with google maps talbot street and smithfield looks clean.

Clontarf and Rathimnes have bad bus connections?

if you know areas with lots of shops and restaurants in walking distance please tell me.

Let me say im not party type person and I dont go out after 22:00 usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

There's junkies all over the city, Dublin 1 isn't any worse than Dublin 2 in that regard. It's certainly no more dangerous than other parts of the city - even if some of it looks like a kip. That said, I'd rather not live off Talbot street or Marlborough street, given options. And as the previous poster said - much of Dublin 1 is about as multi-ethnic/cultural as you'll get in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

For your own sake AVOID Talbot Street and Dublin 1 in general. It's like an open area heroin market.

A bit of an exaggeration I would say. You'll see plenty of addicts hanging around east of O'Connell street, but they're pretty harmless. The most hassle you're likely to get is being pestered for spare change.

There are certainly nicer parts of the city though, so it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Advertisement

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    A bit of an exaggeration I would say. You'll see plenty of addicts hanging around east of O'Connell street, but they're pretty harmless. The most hassle you're likely to get is being pestered for spare change.

There are certainly nicer parts of the city though, so it wouldn't be my first choice.

Is there many murder in dublin 1 and dublin 2? civilian or gang related?

Some strange answers here. Apart from pockets of Nigerian Dublin 15, Dublin 1 has easily the highest proportion of non-European residents of any district in the country.

Balbriggan has as a high a ratio.

alastair wrote: »
    There's junkies all over the city, Dublin 1 isn't any worse than Dublin 2 in that regard. It's certainly no more dangerous than other parts of the city - even if some of it looks like a kip. That said, I'd rather not live off Talbot street or Marlborough street, given options. And as the previous poster said - much of Dublin 1 is about as multi-ethnic/cultural as you'll get in the city.

OP asked about D1. I agree D2 is also a kip.

Is there many murder in dublin 1 and dublin 2? civilian or gang related?

No Dublin West is the murder capital. Alot of theft and petty crime in city centre. It's also an extremely noisy and polluted place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

As has already been hinted if you have the money then maybe you should try somewhere other than Dublin 1. If you really must live in the D1 area then while it is one of the dodgier places to live, you will have a bigger opportunity to meet other non-Europeans in the area.

You don't say where exactly you're from but if you're worried about any racist aspects of the general area I wouldn't say it's any worse than a lot of areas of the city in that regard. And like I said with many people not of European descent in a similar situation to yourself living in the area, you won't be alone.

Dublin 1 is expensive (because central) and accommodation is usually small or sub-standard compared to other parts of town. It is also convenient (due to central location), well policed and has a large non-European community. I'd recommend living in a gated apartrment block in the area with decent security. But I'd recommend similar no matter what part of Dublin the OP was thinking of moving to.

dsmythy wrote: »
    As has already been hinted if you have the money then maybe you should try somewhere other than Dublin 1. If you really must live in the D1 area then while it is one of the dodgier places to live, you will have a bigger opportunity to meet other non-Europeans in the area.

You don't say where exactly you're from but if you're worried about any racist aspects of the general area I wouldn't say it's any worse than a lot of areas of the city in that regard. And like I said with many people not of European descent in a similar situation to yourself living in the area, you won't be alone.

No worry about racism, I want to be able to go alone and walk around dublin 1 without get attacked or robbed.

But you all say many heroin addict, they attack people everyday or?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

I want to be able to go alone and walk around dublin 1 without get attacked or robbed.

What's the attraction to Dublin 1? If it's because you think the '1' means 'city centre', like 'zone 1' does in London, that's not entirely true. Dublin postcodes are divided so that odd numbers are on the northside of the city, whereas even numbers are on the southside. The city centre is divided across Dublin 1 and Dublin 2, neither of which is more central than the other.

Gae wrote: »
    What's the attraction to Dublin 1? If it's because you think the '1' means 'city centre', like 'zone 1' does in London, that's not entirely true. Dublin postcodes are divided so that odd numbers are on the northside of the city, whereas even numbers are on the southside. The city centre is divided across Dublin 1 and Dublin 2, neither of which is more central than the other.

Also Parts of Dublin 3 and 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

And I'm sure its probably our own that cause all the trouble there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

If you're worried about getting attacked then stay well away from talbot street and gardiner street, to be honest even if you lived there I don't think you would have huge problems but they are rougher than most other places in the city, you might be able to find a shared house near south circular road, a lot of muslim people live in that area and the chance of a racial motivated assault there would be very low.

charlemont wrote: »
    And I'm sure its probably our own that cause all the trouble there.

Most, not all. Dogmatic self-loathing is just as much a form of racism as xenophobia. The location of methadone clinics in Dublin 1 draws them to the city centre, causing criminality problems, but junkies aren't the sole cause of criminality in Dublin 1, nor are Irish people. Consider, for example, the nationality/ethnicity of the aggressive beggars and scammers in Dublin 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Mercurius

No worry about racism, I want to be able to go alone and walk around dublin 1 without get attacked or robbed.

But you all say many heroin addict, they attack people everyday or?

Thanks

No the junkies don't attack people everyday. The majority of them are harmless.

Which part of Dublin 1 exactly where you thinking of renting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Mercurius wrote: »
    No the junkies don't attack people everyday. The majority of them are harmless.

Which part of Dublin 1 exactly where you thinking of renting?

they certainly are not harmless. Stay away from D1. It is absolutely disgusting.

As others have said. Clontarf,Raheny if you want to stay north and be close to city centre.

NickDrake wrote: »
    they certainly are not harmless. Stay away from D1. It is absolutely disgusting.

As others have said. Clontarf,Raheny if you want to stay north and be close to city centre.

is there much people always on talbot street, o connell street 24/7?

is there much people always on talbot street, o connell street 24/7?

Yes they are packed 24/7, they are amongst the busiest streets in Ireland. There is a period between around 3 am to 6 am that they get a little bit quieter but there is no such thing as peace and quiet in the city centre. Connolly station emptys people by the thousand out onto the talbot street area making it a prime spot for junkies begging and petty theft. Mobile phone theft is common there.

O'connell st. is O'connell st., it is the heart of Dublin and is never quiet.

Consider, for example, the nationality/ethnicity of the aggressive beggars and scammers in Dublin 1.

Irish? I have never been harrassed by anyone other than Irish people and I'm a Northside Dub.

Yes they are packed 24/7, they are amongst the busiest streets in Ireland. There is a period between around 3 am to 6 am that they get a little bit quieter but there is no such thing as peace and quiet in the city centre. Connolly station emptys people by the thousand out onto the talbot street area making it a prime spot for junkies begging and petty theft. Mobile phone theft is common there.

O'connell st. is O'connell st., it is the heart of Dublin and is never quiet.

then odds not high to get robbed or beaten:D

then odds not high to get robbed or beaten:D
    Navsat you trolling or what? You ask for advice you got advice it's up to you if you want to take it or not.

• Advertisement

Irish? I have never been harrassed by anyone other than Irish people and I'm a Northside Dub.

A Northside Dub who's never encountered aggressive Roma beggars? A Northside Dub who's never read the many, many stories in the press about Eastern European ATM scammers?

You're trolling, bud.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement