Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is overclocking this build safe?

Options
  • 29-01-2012 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Coolermaster Centurion 590

3x NB-Multiframe® S-Series M12-S2 Fans

Corsair TX650W

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz G0 Stepping

4GB - TWIN2X2048-6400C4 PC2-6400 2GB Kit 4-4-4-12

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo

EVGA GeForce GTX 285

Samsung HD501LJ 500GB 7200,16 MB Cache

NEC AD7191S

Im a complete noob when it comes to this, read that 3.0ghz is fairly safe but was wondering if i needed more power/cooling etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I take it you have the stock cooler. You'll want something else before you go messing in your BIOS (unless you don't mind your computer being very loud). Something like this maybe:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/arctic-cooling-freezer-7-pro-rev-2-cpu-cooler-73WG.html?refs=4294946930&src=3

Other than that you're good to go. I'd have a look online for an overclocking guide, but in general, take it slow, do lots of stress testing, and most importantly: only change one thing at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭after_shock3000

roon3y wrote: »
    Coolermaster Centurion 590

3x NB-Multiframe® S-Series M12-S2 Fans

Corsair TX650W

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz G0 Stepping

4GB - TWIN2X2048-6400C4 PC2-6400 2GB Kit 4-4-4-12

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo

EVGA GeForce GTX 285

Samsung HD501LJ 500GB 7200,16 MB Cache

NEC AD7191S

Im a complete noob when it comes to this, read that 3.0ghz is fairly safe but was wondering if i needed more power/cooling etc

Have a Q6600 myself on a P5K board.
    3.4GHz seems to be the sweet spot for me. When I go past that I need a fair bit of extra voltage so the heat goes up quite a bit. It'll do 3.6GHz stable, but I don't see the point in pushing it hard for 200MHz extra.

If you're going to go for 3GHz you probably won't have to move the voltage up much, if at all.

If you want a good cooler, the one I have is a Prolimatech Megahalems and it's surprisingly quiet.
    It's a very tall cooler, so make sure your case can take it if you do decide on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 roon3y

thanks for the replys, ive went with the arctic cooling freezer pro..
    iv never overclocked anything before so im gonna try for 3 and work my way up. on a side note my gpu runs at 50c idle, does this seem quite hot?

Idle means nothing, what's its load temp?

(50°C seems fine)

sorry i ment to say cpu idle at 50c and full load 85-90c..
    i know this is quite high i am going to buy some as5 and re-set tomorrow..hopefully should be the fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

50 idle is alot... My gpu is at 30-35 on idle and most I have seen to go up was 68.

I know there are differences between brands and models, but 90 at full load is too hot amd I would not want to have it so hot for long time periods.

Ok, so your CPU idles at 50°C, and loads at 90? That's too hot. If it's your GPU, then that's not so bad. It's hotter than normal, but certainly not unheard of. If it is your CPU, then something's up, and yes, I'd try a repaste and reseat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Serephucus wrote: »
    Ok, so your CPU idles at 50°C, and loads at 90? That's too hot. If it's your GPU, then that's not so bad. It's hotter than normal, but certainly not unheard of. If it is your CPU, then something's up, and yes, I'd try a repaste and reseat.

Lol my bad. I only sow he changed it later.

Funny enough my gpu and CPU temperatures are very very similar.

Still 90 on gpu max load is alot, I would not like to have my gpu working more then 85.

CPU 90 is way too much too.

my gpu runs at 70-75c loaded..got fans on auto using evga precision..gtx 285 is a hot card so thats not a problem. i will just avoid stress on cpu untill my cooler arrives friday.

Advertisement