Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lesson for the family while using tethering on iphone

• 29-01-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i'm going to tell you a short story that happened to us the other week.

My brother was in the hospital being quarantined, and so my mother gave him her iphone 3gs to use on his last day of quarantine so he wouldn't be bored.

However, he tethered the iphone via usb to his laptop for a few hours that night. Little did he know, how pricey those few hours of internet would cost.

Long story short, for a few hours of tethering o2 charged 614 euro! After talking to o2 for a while they agreed to halve the cost to 307 euros since my mothers been with them for so long.

An expensive lesson for my family, have to say i nearly had a heart attack when i saw her monthly bill!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

vodafone and o2 charge a fortune for tethering but i don't think 3 emobile or meteor do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Eoin247 wrote: »

Long story short, for a few hours of tethering o2 charged 614 euro! After talking to o2 for a while they agreed to halve the cost to 307 euros since my mothers been with them for so long.

An expensive lesson for my family, have to say i nearly had a heart attack when i saw her monthly bill!

Same thing happened to my friend just before Christmas - she started using her new IPhone 4s as a personal hotspot but was on the old unlimited data contract where tethering is prohibited

She ran up a bill of €750 before they contacted her - after a long argument with her pointing out that she was unaware she wasn't allowed to do it and that the O2 rep in the op had shown her how to use the personal hotspot option they finally cut the bill to €30 - after she demanded to speak to a supervisor btw

Maybe you could try to get them to cut the bill further if you call back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

guil wrote: »
    vodafone and o2 charge a fortune for tethering but i don't think 3 emobile or meteor do

Vodafone now allow you to tether from your existing data bundle if you're on bill pay as well.

It's also worth noting that before you switch on tethering/personal hotspot that there is a warning that additional charges may apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

If they don't drop the bill even further change over to Three. 30 day rolling contract with all you can eat data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I have unlimited tethering with 3 for 20 per month. I can't see why anyone isn't with 3 for an iphone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Rediculous
    Weather tethering or not....data is data.....they shouldnt be charging you extra.

TheZohan wrote: »
    If they don't drop the bill even further change over to Three. 30 day rolling contract with all you can eat data.

That doesn't apply to new customers who signed up to plans including all-you-can-eat data since the beginning of Jan.
    Three changed their terms and conditions but pre-existing customers can continue to tether on the all-you-can eat data plans

There's a lot of confusion out there re which plans allow it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I have unlimited tethering with 3 for 20 per month. I can't see why anyone isn't with 3 for an iphone!

You don't according to their T&Cs which they seem to be enforcing these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Because they're terrible. The phone will spend more tome roaming on Vodafone 2G than it will on Three's own 3G network.

Also, are you prepay? Expect to see your tethering curtailed pretty sharpish as the T&Cs prohibit tethering on prepay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Lumi wrote: »
    Same thing happened to my friend just before Christmas - she started using her new IPhone 4s as a personal hotspot but was on the old unlimited data contract where tethering is prohibited

She ran up a bill of €750 before they contacted her - after a long argument with her pointing out that she was unaware she wasn't allowed to do it and that the O2 rep in the op had shown her how to use the personal hotspot option they finally cut the bill to €30 - after she demanded to speak to a supervisor btw

Maybe you could try to get them to cut the bill further if you call back

I'm not too sure about being able to do that now. It's been a few days since she went to the store and talked to them, and only after a while did they agree to halving the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,594 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mr.S wrote: »
    But when your tethering to say, a laptop or a PC you will be using more data then you would be on just your phone = more costs for the operator.

That said I agree networks shouldn't charge extra for tethering, its a bit cheeky.

Its not always clear but the networks do say if they charge and how much for tethering. So no real reason for someone to complain if they got a huge bill.
    If you use more data, or go over your limit far enough. But if one person uses 2GB data on the phone, and another uses 2gb via tethering. They should be treated the same. Directly from the data bundle then charged for excess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Mellor wrote: »
    If you use more data, or go over your limit far enough. But if one person uses 2GB data on the phone, and another uses 2gb via tethering. They should be treated the same. Directly from the data bundle then charged for excess.

Agree with ya

You should be able to use your data that you have paid for by any means you want.

If you go over your limit then charge for the extra

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Kensington wrote: »
    Because they're terrible. The phone will spend more tome roaming on Vodafone 2G than it will on Three's own 3G network.

Nonsense. Utter nonsense.

I'm not too sure about being able to do that now. It's been a few days since she went to the store and talked to them, and only after a while did they agree to halving the cost.

I still think its worth ringing O2 and speaking to a supervisor or contact then through Talk to O2 on boards

They have written off or significantly reduced similar bills for others and you are still being landed with a hefty bill

Kensington wrote: »

Can't agree with you. I checked them out thoroughly before porting from O2
    My bill has halved and I no longer pay exorbitant roaming charges when I work in the UK

Coverage is excellent In Dublin city centre and Galway city where I tend to be based most of the time and the Three like Home service is brilliant.

I still think its worth ringing O2 and speaking to a supervisor or contact then through Talk to O2 on boards

They have written off or significantly reduced similar bills for others and you are still being landed with a hefty bill

Thanks! I made a thread in that forum ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76818969#post76818969 ). And if that doesn't work i'll ring them.

Hopefully this will all work out!

Thanks! I made a thread in that forum ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76818969#post76818969 ). And if that doesn't work i'll ring them.

Hopefully this will all work out!

Good luck & to be fair I've always found O2 to be pretty good as regards customer service. Be firm but polite!

It might be no harm to ask for the terms and conditions that apply to her particular plan while you're speaking to them - just to prevent any other nasty surprises

Good luck & to be fair I've always found O2 to be pretty good as regards customer service. Be firm but polite!

It might be no harm to ask for the terms and conditions that apply to her particular plan while you're speaking to them - just to prevent any other nasty surprises

Great news! They contacted me there to tell me that all extra data charges got removed! I got you to thank for encouraging me to post a thread on the o2 part of the forum. Thanks times a million :)

Great news! They contacted me there to tell me that all extra data charges got removed! I got you to thank for encouraging me to post a thread on the o2 part of the forum. Thanks times a million :)

Hey!! I'm delighted for you & your Mum :):)

And it has to be said, fair play to O2 & Sheena for taking up your case!

Hope your brother is on the mend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Rediculous
    Weather tethering or not....data is data.....they shouldnt be charging you extra.

Because it takes away their lucrative mobile broadband USB dongle business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

naasrd wrote: »
    Nonsense. Utter nonsense.
    It certainly isn't, 3G continuously dropping out, 3G coverage wildly fluctuating from great to non-existent and the infamous "stuck on 2G" are all fairly well documented on the Talk to Three forum by many people, so it's not just me alone in the experience.

If you're lucky enough that you move around in areas with good 3G coverage then great, go for it but overall, from experience out of all the networks, they have a lot of work to do with their network yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I had my own tethering horror story last year. I was using a jailbroken iPhone to tether to my iPad, which I only do now and again and as I have an unlimited data plan I wasn't worried about going over my limit.

I updated the software when IOS 5 came out and did a bit of tethering using the in-built hotspot. Then I got a bill that included €70 for a few lousy MBs of data. When I called they said I wouldn't be charged for tethering if I was jailbroken, but I would if I wasn't

I argued that how could the average user possibly know this and they conceded the point and cut the bill down to €35. I continued to argue that if they were conceding i was right they were still ripping me off for the sake of a few mbs of data that I could have for free if I used them a different way. In the end they dropped the charge.

I'm not that bothered about tethering as I'd only use it the odd time, so I'm still with O2 but I'd say it's a deal-breaker for a lot of customers.

Advertisement