Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing dimmer switch from 2 way circuit

Options
  • 29-01-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭

Hi, I currently have a dimmer switch at both ends of a lighting circuit, which is not a great idea, I believe. I want to completely eliminate the switch at one end so that there is only one dimmer controlling the set of lights.

The image below shows how the dimmer that I want to remove completely is currently wired. It's marked as the one on the left. Currently, there is a wire going into common from the switch beside it. Then there is a wire into L1 and L2 (as it's a 2 way). If I am to remove this, do I disconnect the wire that leaves the common and place that into the common into the switch beside it? Also, do I connect L1 & L2 together in a connection box, or whatever it is they are called?
    Finally, as the circuit would then be 1 way, do I need to make changes to the existing wiring in the other switch?

Cheers

Dimmer-LivingRoom.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

it may be simpler to replace the switch at the other end with a 2 way switch

having said that,you can just replace the insert on that 3 gang dimmer with a dummy dimmer ,which just acts like a switch
    just get a plastic one from your local wholesaler and use the brass knob from your existing one

this will keep your 2 way switching in place

if you want to get rid of your 2 way switching then
    join wires from com + L1 in a connector block
    disconnect L2 and tape it up in a connector block(not connected to anything)
    no need to do any thing at other switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

EDIT: Deleted, Meercats post is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

shorter and simpler than robbies;)

if you want to get rid of your 2 way switching then
    join wires from com + L1 in a connector block
    disconnect L2 and tape it up in a connector block(not connected to anything)
    no need to do any thing at other switch

cheers robbie
    posted same time

meercat wrote: »
    shorter and simpler than robbies;)

Indeed, although its the explaining thats tricky. Either way is effortles for the electrical person.

A standard 2 way switch at the other end would be the best job alright.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    A standard 2 way switch at the other end would be the best job alright.

Even i could manage that in my confused state today meercat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Cheers, thanks guys. That seems fairly simple and straightforeward. Have a really bad headcold at the moment so won't do it today. Thanks again for your advice. :)

Advertisement