Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation

• 29-01-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Im going to have ago at putting down attic insulation.
    Then put some chipboard down in one area for storage.

My attic is approx 20ft by 20ft.
    The Joist depth is 5inchs.
    The Joist Width Is 15Inchs.

What would be the best insulation for this job?
    How much/rolls would i need?
    Im on the Dublin North side, were is the best place to by the insulation?
    Anything i need to be careful of before doing this job?

Any help hints would be of great help....
    Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭clint123

You know you can get a grand for this ? if you use a company from the sei website ? the grant is only €200... the job may cost you about €500/600 ( less the grand then ) and it will be done professionally .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Im going to have ago at putting down attic insulation.
    Then put some chipboard down in one area for storage.

My attic is approx 20ft by 20ft.
    The Joist depth is 5inchs.
    The Joist Width Is 15Inchs.

1. What would be the best insulation for this job?
    2. How much/rolls would i need?
    3. Im on the Dublin North side, were is the best place to by the insulation?
    4. Anything i need to be careful of before doing this job?

Any help hints would be of great help....
    Many thanks in advance
    1. sheepswool natural insulation, followed mineral wool (which will be cheaper)
    2. 20 x 20 ft so approx 45msq - if you look on the packet of your preferred insulation, you will see a m2 coverage. For instance, I bought knauf insulation recently it was circa 25€ for 3.3msq 200mm thickness to top-up the existing 100mm I had insitu. (there's loads of brands and types on the market to suit your budget)
    3. go to your local hardware shop
    4. yes retain 50mm continuous ventilation at the eaves if you dont you will have condensation issues and possibly mould issues on your ceilings. also before placing any major weight on your attic joists you may want to consider beefing them up or at least building the platform over a supporting wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

There's another great attic insulation thread I found immensely helpful, I'll check out my post history and link to it. The earthwool stuff is great, by the way, it's still glass wool but nowhere near as irritable. I found, after much looking around, that the builder provider stores were the cheapest. They're more than willing to do a deal and I bought more than was necessary, just in case, as they're happy to take any unused rolls back (although, even after buying 5 more rolls than I though I'd need I still used it all!).

Edit: Another good thread

Advertisement