Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Cheap External Insulation Options

• 29-01-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I have a section of wall in my house that isnt insulated and cant be insulated from the inside due to tiles so I was thinking of putting up some kind of cheap insulation on the outside like fibreglass or kingspan then putting some wood cladding over that and have it hopefully look like a house feature!

Wise?

Any other cheap options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not wise.

The sort of things you are suggesting will likely turn into a disaster when the materials get wet and waterlogged.

Pick 'cheap' or 'success' I doubt you are likely to manage both.

There are external insulation cladding systems based on polystyrene sheets, fixed to the wall then rendered with a synthetic silicone based render for weather protection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_wall_insulation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

leonvquinn wrote: »
    I have a section of wall in my house that isnt insulated and cant be insulated from the inside due to tiles so I was thinking of putting up some kind of cheap insulation on the outside like fibreglass or kingspan then putting some wood cladding over that and have it hopefully look like a house feature!

Wise?

Any other cheap options?

NOT WIZE.

Advertisement