Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC/MMA etc crossover Thread *Spoilers for latest show*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Good comeback but Mendes will regret not using just wrestling that guillotine attempt was weak sauce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Conor granite face and chin saved him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Tinie wrote: »
    If McGregor gets full mount on a wrestler like Chad and finishes him there, i'll eat my hat.

Fries with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was not expecting such a loose transition when Mendes was going for the guillotine but Jesus McGregor pounced.

Fries with that?

??? In terms of wrestling only one guy was in control there :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Only one guy won there too.

Only one guy won there too.

Erm yeah I saw... more confusing that people think he won with or had a full mount. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Fries with that?

I didnt see any full mount :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Post fight conference
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=KeJgKTY7mfQ

Lawlor and MacDonald were taken to a hospital

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That was great.

Thought Mendes had the two rounds and then McGregor just went nuts. Super happy for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hadn't been a huge fan of McGregor but that fight changed my mind taking on Mendes on short notice after months preparing for Aldo and hearing now that he wasn't fully fit going into the fight fair play to him he is a money making machine with a mouth but he is backing it up in the cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought he might have come unstuck with this bout but he got the job done so fair play to him for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

Mother of God! that Lawler/MacDonald fight last night was something else. Two absolute warriors. Just a tremondous PPV card and one of the great nights in Irish sport.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Erm yeah I saw... more confusing that people think he won with or had a full mount. :eek:
    What I was saying though was that none of it really matters except for the result. I know very little about MMA and UFC, but in fairness he got the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Anyone listen to Wrestling Observer Radio after the fight? Was funny listening to Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer talking about the Irish fans.

"When McGregor won, these guys were throwing everything in the air, even my things."
    "It took 45 minutes to get out of the arena, and these guys were singing the whole time".

They even compared him to Stone Cold Steve Austin and said it was the craziest pop they've ever heard when McGregor won.

Meltzer seemed to indicate that if he keeps winning he could be the biggest draw in UFC or WWE history; which would be a pretty incredible achievement in itself.

Some early indicators suggest it could be the most successful UFC fight in history. Most likely it won't beat UFC 100 in PPV buys though.

It was Dana White in the post-fight conference who said McGregor is now their top draw beyond Ronda. He cited various metrics like social media, weigh-in attendance, gate as well as pre-buys on both PPV and online.

Bryan Alvarez seemed shocked that sports fans would celebrate with enthusiasm and sing a few songs. Such a sheltered life he must live, for a sports journalist like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Ageyev wrote: »
    It was Dana White in the post-fight conference who said McGregor is now their top draw beyond Ronda. He cited various metrics like social media, weigh-in attendance, gate as well as pre-buys on both PPV and online.

Bryan Alvarez seemed shocked that sports fans would celebrate with enthusiasm and sing a few songs. Such a sheltered life he must live, for a sports journalist like.

have you ever seen american fans of sports? they dont celebrate, they just riot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Melty talking about Croke Park is so unreal in many ways. Alvarez knowing what Croke Park is might be even more of an indicator of how successful McGregor has turned out.

have you ever seen american fans of sports? they dont celebrate, they just riot

You'd think a sports journalist would be aware of celebrations of sports fans outside of the USA but Alvarez doesn't even pay attention to the sports he covers.

Re: Croke Pk, I'll believe it when I see it. Dana said if Conor beats Aldo then they will do what they can to make his first defense in Croke Park. There are a lot of issues with this from curfew to time difference affecting PPV buys. At the press conference Dana said there are more Irish in England than in Ireland... Britain has the Cardiff Stadium and London Millennium stadium which both hold a good few thousand more than anywhere in Ireland.

It wouldn't be the same though, holding a title fight in Wales or England. I think it could open up new things for them here if they went all the way with Conor McGregor and had an event at Croke Park and they adapted to fit within the curfew of the venue and the time zone of the region. The Irish contingent in Las Vegas seem to have struck a chord with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Ageyev wrote: »
    You'd think a sports journalist would be aware of celebrations of sports fans outside of the USA but Alvarez doesn't even pay attention to the sports he covers.

Why? The sports he covers are predominantly US-based. Anyway he wasn't criticizing the Irish fans, just talking about them; what is wrong with that? Even the Irish fans who were there said the atmosphere was amazing.

There's nothing wrong with what he said, as far as I can see. I'm sure there have been others out there probably giving out about how the Irish came and colonised Las Vegas on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Good comeback but Mendes will regret not using just wrestling that guillotine attempt was weak sauce
    Was not expecting such a loose transition when Mendes was going for the guillotine but Jesus McGregor pounced.

I think you are both selling Chad short here. The guillotine was solid. He set it up from the top, that sort of stuff is Alpha Male 101. McGregor got out because his escape was perfect, reactions were lighting fact.
    A number of higher level BJJ guys were impressed by it.
    Some early indicators suggest it could be the most successful UFC fight in history. Most likely it won't beat UFC 100 in PPV buys though.

UFC100 was particularly unique.
    Two title fights, and 3 champions on the card (2 in the the HW title). Plus the Brock and GSP factors. If 189 takes the second highest spot, it could be considered a phenomenal success.
    Obviously 189 had two titles too, but previously 145 struggled to break 300k, and now its looking like the 1million mark is in sight.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think you are both selling Chad short here. The guillotine was solid. He set it up from the top, that sort of stuff is Alpha Male 101. McGregor got out because his escape was perfect, reactions were lighting fact.
    A number of higher level BJJ guys were impressed by it.

Think he lacked the energy to go for it. I am going to say its down to the body kicks by McGregor as Mendes slowed down immediately in the fight with little movement. He should have stayed on top and won the round imo but Conor had a massive advantage on the feet

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭brassringclub

For this chat, the Gracies do a great breakdown of the fight in their usual breakdown. Makes great viewing, the mechanics behind the mat exchanges.

Think he lacked the energy to go for it. I am going to say its down to the body kicks by McGregor as Mendes slowed down immediately in the fight with little movement. He should have stayed on top and won the round imo but Conor had a massive advantage on the feet

The body shots definitely slowed him down. But that didn't affect the guillotine imo. If he got the leg across to half guard, then he is stuck there. His escape was only good in for a 1 second window. I imagine he's drilled that countlessly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

One of the better Countdowns in a while:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I just can't bring myself to get excited or stay up for a Rousey fight anymore. It's almost a foregone conclusion that she will win within a round. I've been stung staying up for some of her fights. I hope she wins but if they want the money fight have her fight Cyborg and then she can retire and have cameos at as many wrestlemanias and in as many films as she'd like.

I absolutely love Ronda, think she's a perfect badass that kids can/should totally look up to

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm pretty apathetic towards her now,she is so much better than the last few challengers that her fights seem feels pointless, basically she has to fight someone while ignoring the elephant in the room

• Advertisement

I'm pretty apathetic towards her now,she is so much better than the last few challengers that her fights seem feels pointless, basically she has to fight someone while ignoring the elephant in the room

Which elephant?
    (There could be a few)

Advertisement