Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC/MMA etc crossover Thread *Spoilers for latest show*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Didn't know McGregor was coaching on TUF this season. Just was flicking round TV and found it by mistake on 3E. Awesome. Episode one just airing right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Lobov is as hard as coffin nails

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

TUF is still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like someone might be looking for a Wrestlemania gig/payday after last night or a full time new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,181 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Looks like someone might be looking for a Wrestlemania gig after last night.

Could be around the time a certain computer game comes out where they are the cover star so need the hype

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Looks like someone might be looking for a Wrestlemania gig/payday after last night or a full time new job.

I hope not i cant stand her. If its her coming in and beating up steph then its fine but id be disgusted if they had her go over the likes of a sasha, becky or charlotte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

ricero wrote: »
    I hope not i cant stand her. If its her coming in and beating up steph then its fine but id be disgusted if they had her go over the likes of a sasha, becky or charlotte

Like it or not Sasha, Becky or Charlotte would be damn lucky to be in the ring at the same time as Ronda nevermind actually get an advertised match against her. Sasha as Snoops dominant wrestling star cousin vs Ronda the mainstream machine would generate huge publicity for WWE which is why I dont see it happening. We prob get Nikki Bella with Steph in her corner v Charlotte with Ronda in her corner and then the visual of Steph getting taken down by Ronda, again!

Rousey got Holm'd!
    The look on Dana White's face was priceless :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Saw people comparing this to Buster Douglas. This isn't even in the same universe as Douglas beating Tyson.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Oh dear, she'd be booked closer to Brock Lesnar brother brah! Dominant 'real' fighter, part-time attraction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Win or lose, any of those three would give anything to fight Ronda, especially at WrestleMania in one of the big main events (although I guess that role would go to Stephanie). Even if they lose, any of those being in the same ring as Rousey and looking competitive against her would do wonders for them, certainly much more than what is happening with them at the moment.

Her value has certainly dropped now and anyway she is filming a movie in Indonesia around the time of WrestleMania next year so it's pretty much confirmed she won't be there. I'd still expect her to come in at some point and do a few matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Saw people comparing this to Buster Douglas. This isn't even in the same universe as Douglas beating Tyson.

Bizarre. Holm was dominant throughout both rounds, Ronda just wasnt there. Early on as Holm was landing strikes to Ronda's face the commentators were more concerned with waffling on about whatever else. It was as if they were asleep and only woke up half way through. "Biggest upset in history" is doing a disservice to Holm.

From the MMA fourm...

e6a63lD.gif
    pbvHH4G.jpg
    c781b103de6673a0a52375043bbd8be6.gif
    pbvHH4G.jpg
    UltimateCloudyKillifish.gif
    pbvHH4G.jpg
    L3Izlmr.jpg
    pbvHH4G.jpg

CT1iaSvWEAAgvjf.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Yes, I'd imagine Ronda will really struggle for ways to earn income because she lost one single fight. Other than the Holm rematch, which will make her more in one night than 95% of the WWE roster earns in a year, or the multiple movies on her plate, including a movie about her own life that she is starring in, as well as all her multiple endorsements and sponsorships, she has nothing. So sure, I'd imagine she'll be penniless, destitute and effectively unemployable by Mania season.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Monokne wrote: »
    Yes, I'd imagine Ronda will really struggle for ways to earn income because she lost one single fight. Other than the Holm rematch, which will make her more in one night than 95% of the WWE roster earns in a year, or the multiple movies on her plate, including a movie about her own life that she is starring in, as well as all her multiple endorsements and sponsorships, she has nothing. So sure, I'd imagine she'll be penniless, destitute and effectively unemployable by Mania season.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

:confused:

Who is this Ronda person you are on about????/

I am talking about
    Matt Sydal losing to AJ Styles
    at : ROH Survival Of The Fittest Night One.

Time for
    Airborne
    to return

You seem very upset about this Ronda person.

Hahahah, in what universe is a career prelim guy going to get a Wrestlemania payday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Moved Ronda talk from other threads in here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

something seemed off to me about ronda in the weigh in she looked gaunt and then your twitter post about holm seemed weird and maybe she was thinking she might get beat.

you gotta think dana white is freaking out a little as he looked devastated after the fight and he must be praying to god mcgregor doesnt lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hopefully Aldo can do a job on McGregor, then Danas face would be even more priceless.

gimmick wrote: »
    Hopefully Aldo can do a job on McGregor, then Danas face would be even more priceless.

On this, I really dont understand alot of the hate many Irish ppl seem to have towards Conor especially the wrestling fans. Hes the ultimate pro wrestling promo guy except in the UFC. And hes also insanely talented inside the octagon and backs up all of his predictions while staying humble and gracious towards his opponents once the fight is over.

Trust me I get that just cos hes Irish we dont have to support him but it does seem to me that the more talented and successful Irish sports stars are the more Irish ppl seem to resent them eg Roy & Robbie Keane, BOD, Rory McIlroy

I like McGregor the fighter. I dont like the personality.

I could have made my point clearer though. If he were to lose after Rousey losing and Jon Jones controversy in 2015, basically his 3 golden gooses will have left Dana down.

• Advertisement

Jones was never a golden goose. His numbers are really poor per the standards of LHW champions. Lots of fights in the 300 - 400k range.

But that started improving in his last few fights no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

LeeJM wrote: »
    Trust me I get that just cos hes Irish we dont have to support him but it does seem to me that the more talented and successful Irish sports stars are the more Irish ppl seem to resent them eg Roy & Robbie Keane, BOD, Rory McIlroy

Keane was amazing, but you could see how how people would dislike him as a person, it wasn't jealously or any such bollocks.

BOD was always well liked and very little animosity towards Rory either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

On this, I really dont understand alot of the hate many Irish ppl seem to have towards Conor especially the wrestling fans. Hes the ultimate pro wrestling promo guy except in the UFC. And hes also insanely talented inside the octagon and backs up all of his predictions while staying humble and gracious towards his opponents once the fight is over.

I like Conor but ive never got this almost hero worship thing he has going on about him.

On the others i think only roy keane has people resent him as they dont like him as a person. Robbie never hear much resent except for maybe some comments about being to old to play now.

Mcllroy i never hear much resentment except from me cause i just dont like him and never really have. Respect his talents could just never take to him.

McGregor encompasses the worst of modern Irish society. The majority of his fans are thick young lads who wouldn't know Forrest Griffin if he grabbed them by the bow-tie. Even Kavanagh is a bit of an arse tbh. He's a class fighter but an insufferable tit.

Where's this BOD backlash btw?

I was probably over reaching with a BOD backlash considering I was basing it off some AH comments and some tweets around his retirement saying hes not as good as ppl seem to think, overrated due to Irishness, not as nice in person etc. So I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong to include him there :o

In fairness Lee you do make a fair point about Irish begrudging our own. Robbie is a real harsh example of that. At least with Roy Keane you can see why he got guff. Think McGregor warrants it while still deserving respect as a fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Irish sports probably dislike McGregor and UFC/MMA precisely because of the pro wrestling schtick. Gold and rugby and GAA etc. get by on sporting merit and that alone. UFC's business model is built on people like McGregor performing his unsportsmanlike "zaney" character routine as seen in the world tour press conferences earlier this year.

The satirical Waterford Whispers kinda summed up why sports fans in a country with a "fair game" mentality might not like it:

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/04/01/conor-mcgregor-burns-down-jose-aldos-house-as-mind-games-continue/

mcgregor1.jpg

Conor McGregor Burns Down Jose Aldo’s House As Mind Games Continue

“I will consume you like the affordable biscuit you are,” McGregor said as he jumped on the table, then taking the time to produce a picture of Aldo’s wife and subsequently urinating on it. This was disrupted however by an over eager fan who attempted to get McGregor to urinate on him.

Laughing maniacally at this point to raucous applause and chants, McGregor added “she’s dead Jose, upon your return to your favela a beaten man, you will sleep alone like some sort of unlovable cucumber that cannot find itself a suitable salad”.

“What can I say, Conor is box office baby,” explained Dana White as he shrugged off questions about McGregor’s actions.

Tl;dr McGregor talks pony and sports fan tend to prefer a bit of sportsmanship rather than a sport where success is, in large part, based on talking pony.

I have read a few times he's a bit up his own arse. Drico is genuinely World Class at what he does though. Very few Irish athletes can say that imo.
    I think I want to see Dana throw a tizzy if Conor loses. On Saturday he was like a child who's parents didn't stop at the shop for sweets.
    Horrible to see from the mouthpiece of the company.
    Rousey and the UFC were talking about her taking a break to do movies or the long rumoured Cyborg fight before Saturday. It was a good thing for women's mma she lost imo. I'd agree that people wanted to see her lose as she was being rammed down fans throats as Miesha Tate said. Her gameplan was so bad even days later I wonder wtf went through her head.

• Advertisement

A bit shorter than usual but I enjoy Robin Blacks breakdowns.
    REALLY looking forward to Weidmann vs Rockhold tho

Advertisement