Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC/MMA etc crossover Thread *Spoilers for latest show*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Soooooo...quite the weekend then.

Did anyone on the board watch it live? I fell asleep.

I'm wondering will McGregor really go back down to 145 again and defend his title because he looked scary the last time I saw him at that weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Won 50 off a 3 euro bet on Tate and Diaz. Could be a good thing for McGregor if he can bounce back but hopefully he'll lay back on his tryhard promos and gimmicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Soooooo...quite the weekend then.

Did anyone on the board watch it live? I fell asleep.

I'm wondering will McGregor really go back down to 145 again and defend his title because he looked scary the last time I saw him at that weight.

I stayed up for it, got to sleep at about 6:30 and had to be up at 9. Currently like a zombie.

Fun seeing McGregor lose and all but the real drama was the ending of Holm/Tate, that was like something out of a WWE beat the clock challenge. Tate needed the stoppage and got it with about 90 seconds left with a bloody amazing finish. I let out a yelp when Holm flipped her and she still had the choke locked in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So triple threat for UFC mania now eh Holm vs Tate vs Rhonda

obviously not but you kinda gotta feel a bit for Holm as it seems Rhonda is next in line for a shot instead of Holm getting a rematch, Great chance for Rhonda to win back her belt though as she has beaten Misha twice already and then she will probably have to face Holm again. Going round in circles!

With regards McGregor especially with them talking about his next fight being at UFC 200 him defending his belt makes the most sense and I would guess that'll be against Edgar

Yeah Dana White must have thought he hit the jackpot with the Tate win as it set up a lot of possibilities...and then the main event happened. Having said that I'm sure McGregor will still be a big draw for the forseeable future but there's no doubt a lot of his aura has gone now. I can't see him doing his usual shtick next time. I'm wondering if he will effectively turn babyface and present a more humble persona next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,181 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So triple threat for UFC mania now eh Holm vs Tate vs Rhonda

obviously not but you kinda gotta feel a bit for Holm as it seems Rhonda is next in line for a shot instead of Holm getting a rematch, Great chance for Rhonda to win back her belt though as she has beaten Misha twice already and then she will probably have to face Holm again. Going round in circles!

With regards McGregor especially with them talking about his next fight being at UFC 200 him defending his belt makes the most sense and I would guess that'll be against Edgar

They should have Holm V Rousey for the number 1 spot then winner V Tate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Yeah Dana White must have thought he hit the jackpot with the Tate win as it set up a lot of possibilities...
    I doubt he feels that way he said he hated the fight a few days ago as it risked this outcome. Holm got beat by someone (Tate) that Rousey crushed twice. An undefeated Holm vs Rousey was Megabucks for them. The fight still has appeal but the shine is off it a bit imo.

I think Conor needs a break tbh. He must be exhausted from the camps, fights & media commitments the last year. The cut will be tough as will fighting again in July. Can see him fight Aldo next even though Frankie should be next in line.
    Twas a bad defeat for him & he kinda makes me think of an old wrestling adage in that if you run down your opponent so much you gain nothing from beating him & look bad if he taps you on 10 days notice....yeah he jumped up 2 divisions but Nate ain't a welterweight either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

ERG89 wrote: »
    I doubt he feels that way he said he hated the fight a few days ago as it risked this outcome. Holm got beat by someone (Tate) that Rousey crushed twice. An undefeated Holm vs Rousey was Megabucks for them. The fight still has appeal but the shine is off it a bit imo.

I think Conor needs a break tbh. He must be exhausted from the camps, fights & media commitments the last year. The cut will be tough as will fighting again in July. Can see him fight Aldo next even though Frankie should be next in line.
    Twas a bad defeat for him & he kinda makes me think of an old wrestling adage in that if you run down your opponent so much you gain nothing from beating him & look bad if he taps you on 10 days notice....yeah he jumped up 2 divisions but Nate ain't a welterweight either

Agree with a lot of that, Dana definitely would have wanted Holm to retain, as her look does take some shine of a rematch with ronda down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I was marking out during the Tate vs. Holm fight. Delighted with the result. Round 2 was amazing.

Sickened Cormier vs Jones is off. Replaced with OSP then. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Brock Lesnar is close to finalizing a deal to fight at UFC 200, per Ariel Helwani.

No information as to how he's allowed this by his WWE contract. I'd suspect either Dana is backing up the brinks truck to Vince, or perhaps an agreement has been made where Ronda can go the other way at a future Wrestlemania.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Monokne wrote: »
    Brock Lesnar is close to finalizing a deal to fight at UFC 200, per Ariel Helwani.

No information as to how he's allowed this by his WWE contract. I'd suspect either Dana is backing up the brinks truck to Vince, or perhaps an agreement has been made where Ronda can go the other way at a future Wrestlemania.

The Ronda one sounds like a reasonable trade off. Rousey vs. Steph would certainly get more eyes on the show, for as bad of a match as it would be.

martyos121 wrote: »
    The Ronda one sounds like a reasonable trade off. Rousey vs. Steph would certainly get more eyes on the show, for as bad of a match as it would be.

I don't think they'd have a bad match. They would practice it to death and book it with all the bells and whistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I don't think they'd have a bad match. They would practice it to death and book it with all the bells and whistles.

I do. Rousey isn't trained in pro-wrestling and obviously knows little to nothing about in-ring storytelling (yeah she watches it, but doing it is another thing completely). Won't be the worst women's match ever or anything, but it won't be a good wrestling match and will need to heavily rely on those bells and whistles you mentioned to make it entertaining.

Suppose it depends on your definition of a good match. To me, if what you do gets over with the people, you had a good match. If it didn't, then you didn't.

I think you're way underselling Ronda there as well. Storytelling wouldn't come into it. It would be scripted start to finish, like Stephs last match. Steph managed to put together a 2.5 - 3* match with Brie Bella, who's the drizzling ****s, just by working it out ahead of time. Ronda is a superb athlete who's watched wrestling all her life and does faux matches in the gym with Shayna, Marina and Jessamyn all the time. Could easily equal or better the match Steph had with Brie, and given the star power, it would get over huge with the people.

Now that I actually sit and think about it, it would be a struggle for them to have a bad match. We've already seen Ronda do a huracanrana in the vids she's posted with the horsewomen, so you give her 2/3 highspots to shine, Steph takes over with some chicanery, works over Ronda for a couple minutes with some holds, Ronda blows a comeback, run ins ensure, armbar, tap and we're home. 11-13 minutes, no problem.

Per FrontRowBrian:

Brock's deal was renegotiated prior to Wrestlemania again this year so they could get more dates on him. Brock got the UFC option added in. Has been in camp since Wrestlemania 32. A video may even air as soon as tonight during UFC199 hyping his return.

None of this is guaranteed but this is what his sources are saying.

Meltzer now also reporting Brock had a clause put in his deal just prior to WM32 that he could take a UFC fight if he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

martyos121 wrote: »

They may just go for Rock/ Ronda v Trips/Steph which they teased in 2015,that would also draw big money as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Well if lesnar is coming back to fight at ufc then it explains why his match vs ambrose was lousy and short at mania

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

if this all goes down he better have paul heyman in his corner or ill be very upset! :D

• Advertisement

I don't see this as being good for WWE. If he loses his fight, his stock is diminished a great deal in WWE. Not fatally diminished, but diminished nonetheless. It's risky. I'm surprised WWE allowed this reported clause for him.

And if the trade-off is getting Rousey to appear in a match, I'm not sure that's so great tbh because it doesn't look like she has many fights left in her anyway, so they could have waited about a year and signed her up without problems.

Good for UFC, bad for WWE from what I'm seeing. I'll have to let it play out but that's my initial impression. Maybe there will be crossover appeal and there will be gains. Time will tell. But for now...I'm uneasy about it. Brock's one of my favourites right now and I don't want to see his stock fall.

Meltzer now also reporting Brock had a clause put in his deal just prior to WM32 that he could take a UFC fight if he wanted.

Dave getting his breaking scoops in first! Via his mmafighting.com mate Ariel :pac:
    I've already lost interest in Rousey wrestling cause Edmond Tarverdyan is probably going to be her trainer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Brock is big money for WWE but I'm quite tired of his Suplex City shtick.

wonder does this mean hes finished with wwe? id doubt it myself id say the ufc and the wwe be willing to let him double job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Hadn't they ran through a huge number of his dates? I'd say he had them over a barrel and who can blame him, with the way UFC200 has panned out, he stands to make a fortune.

This is clearly a big ass story so split from the news thread.

Wonder who his opponent will be. Doubt he will go straight up against at top guy, so maybe WWE can be confident of a win. How long is left on his WWE contract though as I would worry if I was Vince that this was him testing the water about getting back in once it's (his WWE contract is done).

My prediction for this is josh barnett, kinda makes sense cause hes wrestled aswel

http://www.wwe.com/article/brock-lesnar-compete-ufc-200-prior-return-major-wwe-event

WWE confirming it and that he is also booked for Summerslam

• Advertisement

Depp wrote: »
    My prediction for this is josh barnett, kinda makes sense cause hes wrestled aswel

Hope so I'd watch a 2 hour countdown show of that :D
    WWE released a statement saying it's a one off opportunity & Lesnar is returning at Summerslam on the wwe network (how tacky).
    http://pwinsider.com/article/102466/official-wwe-statement-on-lesnar-ufc-return-and-wwe-status.html?p=1

Sadly nowhere in the statement does it say we're hoping UFC can build his name up again as they clearly don't know how to make or retain the aura of stars

Advertisement