Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC/MMA etc crossover Thread *Spoilers for latest show*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Im not surprised by this at all. I used to do an MMA podcast with Devore and i used to work in Sports TV. I have seen and heard a few things. These are my beliefs below....

I believe that WWE and UFC have been cross promoting for years. UFC was seeing a gap in star power on their roster and WWE are spotting the hottest new sport thats out there. It was done in the past with WCW and NBA players.

A member of the Mcmahon family had met with the UFC after leaving WWE. At the time it was big news at the time. Dana White said nothing came of the meeting. I believe something did come from that meeting.

This McMahon then came to Ireland and invested in an Irish sports company with business men who have a very close connection with the UFC. This was actually reported back a few years ago and originally mistook him for investing with a famous Hollywood actor with a similar sounding name to one of these Irish business men.
    I believe they were going to test a new method promoting fighters using an unknown Irish fighter as a Ginny pig. To which it worked out phenomenally. At this stage a former WWE wrestler was well established within the UFC, but many felt there was a clock ticking with this guy and his ability to preform. (whole other story)
    I believe the decision was then made to send him back to the WWE to rest up and get back to the shape he needs to be in, to compete again. He was originially slated to return to the UFC but after a number of top stars failed drugs tests it was seen as best for him to stay with the WWE and limited dates.
    At this time another wrestler was offered to the UFC. This individual would have to be a big name. Somebody that could possibly compete "well" and sell tickets.Not to mention, to be able to professionally handle the change over. I believe it was seen as best for him to leave the wwe disgruntled, that way he would take his fans with him as well as not loose too much face with UFC fans who dont like outsiders. So far i dont think it has worked out the way they wanted it for this individual. I believe he will also return to WWE within the next 2 years. I believe UFC is looking at other talent in Japan who have experience in pro wrestling and MMA, so they can continue this relationship.

Disclaimer
    These are my beliefs and in no way means that they are true.

thats some next level eddie bravo illuminati sh!t!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

That Ariel Helwani podcast... not quite but feels like a Colt Cabana style dealy

edit: For Dre's theory above WWE should really hire him as an interviewer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

The conspiracy theory thread is that a way bro >>>>>>>>>>>>

That Ariel Helwani podcast... not quite but feels like a Colt Cabana style dealy

think creative would be better they could use someone with his imagination!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Depp wrote: »
    think creative would be better they could use someone with his imagination!

Only to be shot down by Vince at the 11th hour for a much more predicable turn of events.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Only to be shot down by Vince at the 11th hour for a much more predicable turn of events.

to be fair the plans were good, but they just didnt make roman look strong enough! :D:D

to be fair the plans were good, but they just didnt make roman look strong enough! :D:D

"Have him beat Sheamus again, the fans hate Sheamus."

Not a theory. I am just being carful what i say. Its what i believe to be true. As i said i have podcasted in the past with Devore here. Have met top guys in both wwe and ufc. Have taken members of this wrestling forum to ringside seats at ufc as well as moderators from other forums.

If you do a bit of googeling you should be join the dots to dhat i am saying.

Not a theory. I am just being carful what i say. Its what i believe to be true. As i said i have podcasted in the past with Devore here. Have met top guys in both wwe and ufc. Have taken members of this wrestling forum to ringside seats at ufc as well as moderators from other forums.

If you do a bit of googeling you should be join the dots to dhat i am saying.

Eh, that's essentially what a theory is though? This one is pretty hard to believe too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Apparently Helwani's ban has now been lifted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

is this a weird one for me.... but i know why its been done

Hunt is probably one of the best knockout artists in ufc but he is slower than your average fighter so if lesnar shows the same speed that he has had before - then he should be able to get the win

But my question is whats the point for lesnar other than money... like he is saying oh 20 years on and im on a tractor and thinking what if - surely if he beats Hunt would he not think in 20 years - man if i just had another fight after that i could have set myself up for a title shot! Like who is to say if he wins it stops here.... regardless of WWE giving special persmission 'one time only deal'.... for what lesnar and wwe could loose.... its not worth one fight!!

If he looses how does WWE push that?
    If he looses badly he wont get cleared for Summerslam?

Dont get me wrong im excited to see him back in the ufc.... and it should be a good fight..... but im hesitant!

P.S. see Punk is being touted for UFC202 - same card as Conor - would be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,235 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Based on the sparring stories, it's hard to see Punk do anything other than get humiliated, but it'd still be a cool one for him to tick off the bucketlist. A defeat here sees him back in the WWE at some point, I'm sure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

i agree and the sooner he makes his debut the sooner he will be back with wwe

CSF wrote: »
    Based on the sparring stories, it's hard to see Punk do anything other than get humiliated, but it'd still be a cool one for him to tick off the bucketlist. A defeat here sees him back in the WWE at some point, I'm sure of it.

yeah it seems bad from some accounts but sure fcuk it he gave it a go and if he goes ahead with it more power to him, sooner hes back in the wwe the better though hes been missed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

yeah it seems bad from some accounts but sure fcuk it he gave it a go and if he goes ahead with it more power to him, sooner hes back in the wwe the better though hes been missed!

Has he though? Im as a big a CM Punk as anyone but I dont think he has been missed all that much. Pretty much everyone is a good to great wrestler now, so hes not missed in that aspect. The roster is full of indie darlings now, so thats niche is gone. I will say he was a legit main eventer (if not a draw) but I cant really say hes been missed.

Now I fully expect a tonne of ppl to jump in and say "Oh I missed him. Imagine Punk vs Rollins, Owens, Styles, Cesaro etc..." Yes they would be good matches and his return will be big but still I dont feel like he has been missed all that much.

LeeJM wrote: »
    Has he though? Im as a big a CM Punk as anyone but I dont think he has been missed all that much. Pretty much everyone is a good to great wrestler now, so hes not missed in that aspect. The roster is full of indie darlings now, so thats niche is gone. I will say he was a legit main eventer (if not a draw) but I cant really say hes been missed.

Now I fully expect a tonne of ppl to jump in and say "Oh I missed him. Imagine Punk vs Rollins, Owens, Styles, Cesaro etc..." Yes they would be good matches and his return will be big but still I dont feel like he has been missed all that much.

fair point! was really speaking for myself if I'm honest! definitely would be an asset to the wwe though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I miss CM Punk from a character perspective. I know Owens plays pretty much that role but he's not presented near the level (has he lost every feud since being called up?) and doesn't have the ferocious out-spoken promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Punk was very long in the tooth though.

As a wrestler, he was absolutely dialling it in towards the end of his run, but given the circumstances, that's perfectly understandable. I still felt he was always a bit overrated by himself and his biggest fans, you'd swear he was the messiah of pro-wrestling. Yes he was great and I'd love to see him back, but he wouldn't hold a candle to Rollins or Owens these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Dray's post is one of the best and weirdest I've read on this forum. No jeed for cloaks and daggers with a pseudonym on a discussion forum tbh but whatevs :p

I don't know much about what it takes to compete in MMA but I gather that wrestling ability diminishes if you don't keep up regular practise. So unless Brock has been working on his takedowns, sprawl and body control in the last few years I can't see him doing too well relying purely on muscle memory or whatever.

• Advertisement

As a wrestler, he was absolutely dialling it in towards the end of his run, but given the circumstances, that's perfectly understandable. I still felt he was always a bit overrated by himself and his biggest fans, you'd swear he was the messiah of pro-wrestling. Yes he was great and I'd love to see him back, but he wouldn't hold a candle to Rollins or Owens these days.

Punk has the Bret Hart ego thing going on - he believes so much in himself as a legitimate greatest of all time that people then belive that he actually is.

Ageyev wrote: »
    Dray's post is one of the best and weirdest I've read on this forum. No jeed for cloaks and daggers with a pseudonym on a discussion forum tbh but whatevs :p

I don't know much about what it takes to compete in MMA but I gather that wrestling ability diminishes if you don't keep up regular practise. So unless Brock has been working on his takedowns, sprawl and body control in the last few years I can't see him doing too well relying purely on muscle memory or whatever.

wonder does he have to wrestle off vince like Kurt Angle did?:D

Punk has the Bret Hart ego thing going on - he believes so much in himself as a legitimate greatest of all time that people then belive that he actually is.

I'd say that's it alright, especially when you hear how bitter Bret has become when he doesn't have that spotlight anymore.

I'd say that's it alright, especially when you hear how bitter Bret has become when he doesn't have that spotlight anymore.

I like both Punk and Bret Hart a lot. Both of them delivered some great promos and had some great matches but christ, they've mahoosive egos!

I like both Punk and Bret Hart a lot. Both of them delivered some great promos and had some great matches but christ, they've mahoosive egos!

And look at the manner in which they both left WWE, really makes sense when you put it all together.

I'll say one thing about Punk though, he's a legend purely for the calibre of women he's pulled!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Dr Amman's defamation suit against Punk and Cabana kicks off at the end of the month. Does the good doctor still for WWE? Would make a possible post UFC comeback difficult

Didn't see it mentioned but forbes and a few other outlets were running the story about Ronda potentially fighting in the WWE and that Brock's deal might open the door for such a situation. I know we speculated it at the start of the thread but ot really would not surprise me and tbh I would not be shocked if she like Brock and UFC wanted more than just the one and done type deal, afterall she is a huge fan and has talked about wanting to retire from MMA and become a womans champion in WWE in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

I imagine anything is possible right now given the sides are on good terms, but it seems as though the information that's leaked about WWE requesting Paige Van Zant for Summerslam in return for Brock at UFC200 is pretty solid.

I really am not sure what role the WWE would want for her but if it was a match I can't imagine her agreeing to lose under any circumstances to "fake fighters".

That said I wanna see it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Monokne wrote: »
    I imagine anything is possible right now given the sides are on good terms, but it seems as though the information that's leaked about WWE requesting Paige Van Zant for Summerslam in return for Brock at UFC200 is pretty solid.
    Remember how TNA got an extremely uncomfortable Christian to turn up at Sting's induction into their Hall of Fame as compensation for the WWE putting Flair in one of their own HoFs?

Advertisement