Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC/MMA etc crossover Thread *Spoilers for latest show*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Jones was initially treated as the ultimate babyface until he kept ****ing up. It's gas to show how badly it's gone from that bollocks story about saving some woman's purse or whatever before a fight to losing his own purse for the biggest fight of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Jones was initially treated as the ultimate babyface until he kept ****ing up. It's gas to show how badly it's gone from that bollocks story about saving some woman's purse or whatever before a fight to losing his own purse for the biggest fight of his career.

Not only that, but he's also screwed Cormier over, would imagine he wasn't too happy hearing the fight was off after the months of preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So will Brock/Hunt now get a nice bump in there pay checks being the solo main event fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jon Jones has been stung for doping and the Jones vs Cormier fight is officially cancelled. Lesnar/Hunt is now the main event. While Dana and the rest of the UFC are probably furious (and probably be washing their hands of Jones for good this time) this could not have worked out better for Lesnar, Vince and the WWE.

It only works out well for WWE depending on how the fight goes.

The WWE haven't been pushing Lesnar's appearance in recent shows and Dave Meltzer's theory is that WWE got caught out with the opponent being Hunt, as they expected Lesnar would be given someone far handier. He reckons they are not promoting the fight too much as they are seriously worried he will lose.

The fact the Lesnar fight is now more high profile could be very bad for WWE if Lesnar gets KO'd inside a minute. The whole world will see arguably the top WWE draw, their superhuman monster, get flattened.

The more I think about this situation the more I think WWE got outfoxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

To be fair they did tweet this fairly epic promo video earlier:

https://twitter.com/wwe/status/751060733782220800

And this one:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Love if Orton was in the front row of UFC 200 and had a stare down with lesner after his match

No way of ufc promoting WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

To be fair they did tweet this fairly epic promo video

Stephanie promoted it too in a way.....but she didn't have a clue what she was on about tho. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,235 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It only works out well for WWE depending on how the fight goes.

The WWE haven't been pushing Lesnar's appearance in recent shows and Dave Meltzer's theory is that WWE got caught out with the opponent being Hunt, as they expected Lesnar would be given someone far handier. He reckons they are not promoting the fight too much as they are seriously worried he will lose.

The fact the Lesnar fight is now more high profile could be very bad for WWE if Lesnar gets KO'd inside a minute. The whole world will see arguably the top WWE draw, their superhuman monster, get flattened.

The more I think about this situation the more I think WWE got outfoxed.

On the flip side, if he wins the headliner of UFC 200, his attention for Summerslam...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I haven't been watching lately. How has the Summerslam fight been set up?

Was it as simple as "Brock's opponent at Summerslam will be Randy Orton!!". What's the Genesis?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

So will Brock/Hunt now get a nice bump in there pay checks being the solo main event fight.

Yip, it's what they usually do. Put it like this, when Brock was asked about it he said "Merry Christmas to Brock Lesnar". Plus, I highly doubt Vince/WWE simply agreed to a one off lump sum for this to happen. I imagine they also have a percentage of the buys on top of whatever sum they got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Orton's actually a fairly good choice to have at the ready for Summerslam. If Brock loses, it's likely to be a pretty quick knockout, which isn't really that damaging imo (you can chalk it down to arrogance or something, it'd be a lot more embarrassing for him to be by far the weaker person across the full length of two or three rounds imo), having him massacre someone who is still treated quite highly but is really not much of a draw anymore like Orton could work a treat.

Alternatively, if it seems like Brock has lost a lot of value, Orton winning could boost him up enough to fill a gap near the top more convincingly for a while. With Brock's deal winding up at next year's mania, they mightn't want him any more for the money he costs (and, realistically, he'll be able to demand it regardless of what happens provided Bellator are still around)

Lesnar is back to the co-main event. Nunes vs Tate is now the main event and Cormier is fighting Anderson Silva now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

ERG89 wrote: »
    Lesnar is back to the co-main event. Nunes vs Tate is now the main event and Cormier is fighting Anderson Silva now.

Makes sense given that UFC made a point of saying that the Lesnar vs. Hunt fight was a 3 round bout. It would be kind of stupid to have a 3 rounder as main event when the main event on every other card is 5 rounds. Can't imagine either man, particularly Hunt, would fancy stepping it up to a 5 rounder a mere few days before the fight when they've trained for 3 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I see wwe.com will be showing Lesnar's weigh in

Say the weigh in earlier Brock looks like a million dollars. Be great if he does the business against Hunt.

Funny how Brock is now classed as Canadian.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I see wwe.com will be showing Lesnar's weigh in

I watched the UFC weigh in on WWE.com; it was surreal. I know it's a co-branding venture but it made me feel it's like 2001 watching the WWF/WCW Simulcast.

Any idea what time the Lesnar/Hunt fight will start at? Assuming it'll be well into the early hours of Sunday morning.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Any idea what time the Lesnar/Hunt fight will start at? Assuming it'll be well into the early hours of Sunday morning.

We're probably talking 5a.m. Recommend staying off the net and watching it when you wake up!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    We're probably talking 5a.m. Recommend staying off the net and watching it when you wake up!

Cheers dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

It's the co main so it'll be earlier than 5....but still yeah wait till tomorrow!

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »

Watch the card tbh. Best show UFC put together in a long time even with Jones getting removed.
    I'd be shocked if Lesnar vs Hunt makes it out of the first round either way it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If Lesnar loses, I wonder if WWE will incorporate it into the Orton match. Have Randy take the piss out of him and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

dana makes a few interesting points about the future relationship between the ufcand the wwe, an exciting prospect if im honest

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I just hope Brock gives a good account of himself in there but I fear Hunt is going to win by a stoppage.

Depp wrote: »

dana makes a few interesting points about the future relationship between the ufcand the wwe, an exciting prospect if im honest

Has Dana ever stated what he has planned if/when the UFC sale goes through?

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Has Dana ever stated what he has planned if/when the UFC sale goes through?

Still denying it tbh. Funny that they bought the UFC in the same month (March 2001) as WWE purchased & took on huge debt :o
    He didn't really say much about a relationship between the two. Wonder what is the exchange WWE getting a cut of the buys or promotion?
    The Rousey scenario is so up in the air it's hard to know what she is committed to bar movies...

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Back for Summerslam to face Orton, hope both are fully fit for their match

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I haven't been watching lately. How has the Summerslam fight been set up?

Was it as simple as "Brock's opponent at Summerslam will be Randy Orton!!". What's the Genesis?

Sorry for bumping the other Lesnar thread, didn't realise Orton's SS match was being discussed here but yes it seems it was just an announcement of the match, the set up and build

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Back for Summerslam to face Orton, hope both are fully fit for their match

Reawaken the zombie thread for news everyone knows :confused:

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping the other Lesnar thread, didn't realise Orton's SS match was being discussed here but yes it seems it was just an announcement of the match, the set up and build

Ah nay worries, appreciate you seeking out the thread before posting a new one. If it's been over a year create a new one :) but sure all the Orton chatter is in here so I've moved those posts :)

Advertisement