Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC/MMA etc crossover Thread *Spoilers for latest show*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Daniel Cormier is more hated in Vegas than Jon Jones right now. :pac:
    Lesnar fight coming up very soon

Lesnar won 29-27.
    Not a great performance but he did what most thought he wouldn't. Remain conscious

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hopefully he has it out of his system for good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Delighted at that result. It keeps the aura around Lesnar strong and means the Summerslam match won't be affected negatively.

A bit disappointed he didn't come out to his WWE theme though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

best thing about this result is the buthurt its bringing out in the die hards :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Are the Spoiler tags necessary?

If so
    huge amount of sour grapes from all over in the mma forum about Lesnar. "Oh he's on the juice etc". The usual excuses. I'm delighted to see them taken down a peg or two again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Delighted with Brocks performance. 15 mins in there with Hunt and he really wasnt troubled at all

Great day to be a fan of a non legitimate sport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

pity theyve already announced randy, be a perfect time to job him out to reigns :D

The bitterness from 2 or 3 guys in the MMA forum re Brock beating Hunt is magnificent. Reminds me of a certain Barcelona fan in the soccer forum everytime Barca get beaten by a team that doesnt play 107 passes before every shot. Overeem to beat Stipe and then Brock avenge his loss and beat Overeem to win the title again. That would be glorious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Delighted to see him back in action again and his performance, although I reckon Vince wasn't, I taught there was no chance he'd be one and done before it, and there's definitely no chance of that now, and how can he possibly lose any wwe match going forward ;)

Because WWE is pre determined and UFC is not??? Brock losing in WWE is in no way gonna effect his drawing ability as a UFC star and Brock losing on WWE tv/PPV is something we have seen numerous times so its not really a huge deal. If Brock is smart (and he is) he will continue to split his time between WWE and UFC and make as much money as he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

LeeJM wrote: »
    Because WWE is pre determined and UFC is not???

Ah Lee, did you not see the smiley? Of course he's gonna lose matches, and I expect a few more then he did before now

Ah Lee, did you not see the smiley? Of course he's gonna lose matches, and I expect a few more then he did before now

Sorry its been a long emotional night :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

The bitterness from 2 or 3 guys in the MMA forum re Brock beating Hunt is magnificent. Reminds me of a certain Barcelona fan in the soccer forum everytime Barca get beaten by a team that doesnt play 107 passes before every shot. Overeem to beat Stipe and then Brock avenge his loss and beat Overeem to win the title again. That would be glorious

I'm at a loss for words reading some of the comments, it's why I don't bother commenting in the MMA forum despite being such a big fan of the sport since the Ken Shamrock days. It wasn't the greatest fight, especially the second round, and it wasn't the "rock 'em sock 'em robots" fight people were expecting;however Brock looked great and in a much better condition than his last few fights.

I'm at a loss for words reading some of the comments, it's why I don't bother commenting in the MMA forum despite being such a big fan of the sport since the Ken Shamrock days. It wasn't the greatest fight, especially the second round, and it wasn't the "rock 'em sock 'em robots" fight people were expecting;however Brock looked great and in a much better condition than his last few fights.

I fully expect to be banned for what I just posted in the UFC 200 thread but something needed to be said. Its absolutely laughable that these super hardcore MMA fans are reacting like this over Brock. I have been watching UFC since UFC 27. I watched religiously up until 100 then stepped away for a while but have been following again for the last 2-3 years.

And to be fair its mainly one poster but he is just being such a dick re Brock that Im not surprised a lot of the PW regulars have been over to that thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I always find heavyweight MMA to be like heavyweight boxing, very few top class fighters with the right physical abilities will ever compete in that weight category.

Most get by on sheer size and power. Every now and again, in boxing, a former top class amateur comes a long and dominates because they have skill, size and conditioning. Lewis and Klitschko for example.

So when a guy with size and a strong amateur wrestling background appears in MMA it can't surprise anyone when they do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

It can be a bit like banging your head against a wall sometimes over there. Majority are fine and are willing to listen and have a conversation about fit, but there are a vocal minority that just have their opinion and that's the gospel as far as they're concerned, regardless if there are facts presented to them that say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Delighted at that result. It keeps the aura around Lesnar strong and means the Summerslam match won't be affected negatively.

A bit disappointed he didn't come out to his WWE theme though.
    Enter Sandman is the ultimate walkout music though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,235 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That guy has admitted to being a troll account, whereas these guys are genuinely at home seething that this 'ballet dancer' beat a legit tough guy like Mark Hunt.

I love UFC, but not the macho holier than thou bullsh*t that comes from some small sections of the support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

$2.5 million disclosed plus ppv cut- it will add up to roughly what he makes per year with WWE. Another win and he'll probably get a title shot. The man knows his own worth, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

Is $2.5M the biggest base salary in history? I remember reading McGregors $1m from 196 being called the biggest ever. I wonder what % of the PPV he gets.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Pinkman wrote: »
    Is $2.5M the biggest base salary in history? I remember reading McGregors $1m from 196 being called the biggest ever. I wonder what % of the PPV he gets.

Yes biggest base salary in history.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

In Japan so missed the fight live but damn Brock must be walking around (to quote Tom Cruise's Tropic Thunder cameo) feeling like the big dick playa that he is right now. Not many people at all thought he could do it and many thought he was foolish for facing an opponent was Hunt, hell there was even the narrative That the WWE weren't happy with his opponent and yet Brock is victorious.

Can't wait for Paul Heymans first WWE promo for Brock now. He will no doubt nail it and make Brock (not that he needs it really) sound even better before Lesnar murders Orton at Summerslam.

The win also means WWE would probably have loads of negotiating power should Dana come looking to use Brock again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,235 ✭✭✭✭CSF

In Japan so missed the fight live but damn Brock must be walking around (to quote Tom Cruise's Tropic Thunder cameo) feeling like the big dick playa that he is right now. Not many people at all thought he could do it and many thought he was foolish for facing an opponent was Hunt, hell there was even the narrative That the WWE weren't happy with his opponent and yet Brock is victorious.

Can't wait for Paul Heymans first WWE promo for Brock now. He will no doubt nail it and make Brock (not that he needs it really) sound even better before Lesnar murders Orton at Summerslam.

The win also means WWE would probably have loads of negotiating power should Dana come looking to use Brock again.
    Do we know for sure how many UFC appearances Brock's contract stipulates he can do? WWE may not even have any say in a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Watched the fight earlier, and to me, even though Brock hadn't fought since 2011, he looked like he hadn't lost a step..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

WWE need to sign up Anthony Joshua and have Brock v Joshua at Mania.

Joshua is a nobody. He is not the HW savior that Sky Sports would have you believe he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I'd say Brock's gone from WWE after next Mania. His value to UFC now must seriously outstrip what it would be smart for WWE to pay him (his lustre in WWE has been on the wane for a while too as they've ran out of convincing opponents for him).

He'll prolly be back in 2-3 years for a final run though.

• Advertisement

I'd say Brock's gone from WWE after next Mania. His value to UFC now must seriously outstrip what it would be smart for WWE to pay him (his lustre in WWE has been on the wane for a while too as they've ran out of convincing opponents for him).

He'll prolly be back in 2-3 years for a final run though.

UFC have made him feel like a big deal for the first time in years. They probably made more money with him in a month than wwe did in the last few years. I don't think Brock has a title run in him though. He's missed too much time out of the cage despite his performance last night & will struggle with the top guys.
    I'd like to see him fight Barnett or maybe Fedor but I think he'd struggle against Werdum, Miocic, Overeem, JDS or Velasquez

Advertisement