Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC/MMA etc crossover Thread *Spoilers for latest show*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Yeah. I think both going well UFC is probably more attractive to Brock.

He hates the road and even though he is "part-time" it feels like he has made a tonne of appearances in WWE since his comeback.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

LeeJM wrote: »
    Joshua is a nobody. He is not the HW savior that Sky Sports would have you believe he is.

Thanks, I didn't know my interest in Joshua was based on Sky's hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

ERG89 wrote: »
    UFC have made him feel like a big deal for the first time in years. They probably made more money with him in a month than wwe did in the last few years. I don't think Brock has a title run in him though. He's missed too much time out of the cage despite his performance last night & will struggle with the top guys.
    I'd like to see him fight Barnett or maybe Fedor but I think he'd struggle against Werdum, Miocic, Overeem, JDS or Velasquez
    I didn't say anything about a title run though. With a win under his belt, both UFC and Brock can justify at least two more pretty big event bouts. A potential title match (pretty f*cking unlikely imo), would draw crazy money if he got there. I'm sure he'd like to be a title contender, but I'm pretty sure he'd be happy out with a deal that nets him bucketloads of cash however he does.

Brock himself must see that he stands to make more from taking a payday elsewhere for a while before returning to the WWE anyway.

tbh I'm looking forward to the idea of Brock going away for a few years. If they can all do it on okay terms they mightn't **** up his initial return as much as they did this time when he comes back in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not sure if this has been posted already because I've not been around all day, but Cormier (a huge pro-wrestling fan himself) is 100% right on the money here about how Lesnar should be booked from now on.

Especially right about the last part. Lesnar holding the world title again would legitimise the hell out of it and the company too, even with his limited appearances. He should steamroll through everyone until next Mania when his deal runs out and drop it there to make a new star.

martyos121 wrote: »
    He should steamroll through everyone until next Mania when his deal runs out and drop it there to make a new star.

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I'd say Brock's gone from WWE after next Mania. His value to UFC now must seriously outstrip what it would be smart for WWE to pay him (his lustre in WWE has been on the wane for a while too as they've ran out of convincing opponents for him).

He'll prolly be back in 2-3 years for a final run though.

Lesnar's contract with WWE is until 2018. He won't be gone after next year's Mania unless WWE agree to a settlement of some sort.

Ageyev wrote: »
    Lesnar's contract with WWE is until 2018. He won't be gone after next year's Mania unless WWE agree to a settlement of some sort.

Oh? I thought it was another 2 year deal starting April 2015? Did he sign an extension since ? I know some of the terms were updated.

Kinda disappointed if that's the case, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Oh? I thought it was another 2 year deal starting April 2015? Did he sign an extension since ? I know some of the terms were updated.

Kinda disappointed if that's the case, tbh

Lesnar re-signed with the company prior to Wrestlemania 32

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

2.5 mill for lesnar for the hunt fight..... thats a lotta money..... and the promos that wwe got on UFC 200 - gotta think its good for all interests to have him fight again! I know he is getting on to get a title push but if he gets a couple of good fights it wouldnt take to long to have him back in the picture! They kept saying that Hunt was the 8th ranked guy.... so dont be surpised if they do push him up the rankings and give him a title shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

2.5 mill for lesnar for the hunt fight..... thats a lotta money..... and the promos that wwe got on UFC 200 - gotta think its good for all interests to have him fight again! I know he is getting on to get a title push but if he gets a couple of good fights it wouldnt take to long to have him back in the picture! They kept saying that Hunt was the 8th ranked guy.... so dont be surpised if they do push him up the rankings and give him a title shot!

2.5 mil plus a ppv cut aswel he cleaned up! yeah i doubt itll be a one and done after that performance anyway. lot of people think if overeem beats miocic for the title in september his first defense will be a rematch with brock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Yep, skipping the Q for a title shot could be justified with: former UFC champion, feels he was never beaten by a fighter for the championship and was only beaten by diverticulitis. Although Cain Velasquez might disagree with that assessment of things and he would every right to in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Lesnar probably has 18 months left on his current deal

I wonder if they could let him out of it for now, let him focus on UFC for the last few years of his prime, and then have him finish out the deal at a later stage

Making Lesnar stick to his contract will mean an unmotivated Lesnar, don't think any of us want to see that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Lesnar signed a 3year deal before Mania 31. I'd say he probably earned more from the recent fight than he would in a year for WWE. The differences between the two ought to be obvious: he's to train harder for UFC and get hit for real but WWE is guaranteed and he's got probably the sweetest deal ever since he's on limited dates. He essentially has a legit "independent contractor" deal on his own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Already in the MMA thread but for those who don't know...

Brock has been caught by USADA! Maybe he joins Roman when he comes back?!! :pac:

Wonder about summerslam now....

https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/754084200131792896

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can't wait for SteroidSlam now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Potential. Nothing certain yet. Different sport and anti-doping organisation but wasn't Sakho done for something and then cleared?

Still though, if it is true, Vince will have a breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

J. Marston wrote: »
    Potential. Nothing certain yet. Different sport and anti-doping organisation but wasn't Sakho done for something and then cleared?

Still though, if it is true, Vince will have a breakdown.

IF it's true, never mind Vince having a breakdown, he'll have a bloody heart attack.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders did WWE know anything as I wondered why they didn't make a much bigger deal of his win on the last RAW.

Probably not but it did cross my mind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders did WWE know anything as I wondered why they didn't make a much bigger deal of his win on the last RAW.

Didn't they call him the greatest combat athlete in the history of America? Can't get more hyperbolic than that.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Didn't they call him the greatest combat athlete in the history of America? Can't get more hyperbolic than that.

That's true. Just felt they could have done more.Maybe it's best they didn't now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

No WWE are just out of touch. Disaster as he'll have to prove his innocence now. Good luck on the tainted supplement case......he'll have the WWE wellness policy tests to fall back on. The equivalent of the dog ate my homework in an actual legit case.

ERG89 wrote: »
    No WWE are just out of touch. Disaster as he'll have to prove his innocence now. Good luck on the tainted supplement case......he'll have the WWE wellness policy tests to fall back on. The equivalent of the dog ate my homework in an actual legit case.

What about Roman tho?!:eek: :D

Still think there can be a Brock/Roman Tag team!

Drugs Inc ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Will be interesting to see how WWE respond, 37 days til summerslam so they'd need to act quickly if they want to ban him and get him back in time for it.
    Guessing Vince wont be letting anyone expose themselves to 3rd party testing again anytime soon.

"potential failed drug test" is so weird... I'm reading it as "99% chance it's a violation but it's in everyone's interest that they find a loophole to get him out of it"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

"potential failed drug test" is so weird... I'm reading it as "99% chance it's a violation but it's in everyone's interest that they find a loophole to get him out of it"

Thats not what it means at all. He has a chance now to accept the results of the first test or have the B sample tested.

Nothing to do with ''loopholes''.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

What's gone from a win - win situation for them seems to have turned a bit sour for them. From a PR perspective it's a bit of a disaster. If the USADA decide to ban him for two years and WWE respond by either suspending him for 30 days or not suspending him at all because it wasnt a direct violation of their wellness policy it makes their whole system look like a joke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Why announce a potential violation? he either did or didn't and you would assume he did otherwise they are just unnecessarily hurting his rep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Why announce a potential violation? he either did or didn't and you would assume he did otherwise they are just unnecessarily hurting his rep

For legal reasons they have to err on the side of caution with the wording of statements. Hes guilty as hell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Because in a miniscule amount of cases it can not be the fighters fault, ie yoel romeros positive was actually traced back to tainted supplements, Brock is 100000% guilty though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Because in a miniscule amount of cases it can not be the fighters fault, ie yoel romeros positive was actually traced back to tainted supplements, Brock is 100000% guilty though

I still am flabbergasted that Romero got it overturned. But I expect him to change appearance when he fights again. With usada and the ban on IV's you see a huge change already. No better seen that Hendriks who looked like death last weekend.
    You've seen Mir, Silva, Machida, Jones all go down & there will be much more ahead. Certain gyms & fighters have already been declining too.

Advertisement