Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecommerce Package or DIY???

Options
  • 29-01-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

First post in this section of Boards, hope I have the right forum for my question if not please feel free to move it..

In a nutshell, I have been teaching my self to make websites over the past 2 years, am now on my 5th one and so far have got to grips with HTML, CSS, (PHP + MSQL --> to a certian extent)

My current client has already asked for a CMS, which I have provided, they wanted a very stylized design so I opted for a custom CMS which I built based on tutorials found on a website called develop PHP.

http://www.developphp.com/list_php_video.php

Now they want to include an e commerce element in the site, so my question now is should I try and follow the tutorials for this on Develop PHP, which would be time consuming but ultimately give me more experience in PHP and MYSQL, and as long as I put in the work a very flexible system.

Or should I opt for Zen cart or something similar have installed Zen cart on my hosting but to be honest it looks like just as much work, by the time I have stripped everything out and re built it to fit the design?..

Also I have no idea what to charge for this?!? They are a friend so and for me its a learning curve so I want to give her a good price, but if it take two weeks to get to grips with, I have to be fair to my self .

Just putting this out there to see what people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pcbscott

Also should add that the cost of the site to date with CMS is separate, and that they are selling clothes, so while the product range at the moment is small say between 7 + 8 different items with different sizes there will need to be scope to add other lines as their business develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

all depends how fast they want it if they want it if they are not in a hurry then you can take your time doing it if they need it urgently then id say zen cart but you could go for wordpress or joomula these are easy to use

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

tramoreman wrote: »
    all depends how fast they want it if they want it if they are not in a hurry then you can take your time doing it if they need it urgently then id say zen cart but you could go for wordpress or joomula these are easy to use

Vendorshop or payvment should be first step if you want to look after the client. You can fit the site on facebook into theit own website with payvment I think. These services are free and should be a good test of ecommerce for them.then if the test proves reasonably successful role out their own ecommerce.

Thanks, wow was not even aware of the options via face book... will defiantly put that to the client as an interim option, love learning something new!!

They are quite fussy about how they want the site to look, which is great in some ways as design decisions they have made are no doubt better than how I would have interpreted their business.

The products are quite high end so I know that they will be conscious of the image they want to portray, not sure if the FB route would suit their vision, but obviously as a test of the business is a great option.

Time wise they know that I am learning hence, giving them a discount in terms of the extra time it takes me to learn things, and they are a friend so I don't want to rip them off. I think we can accommodate each others time scale requirements, I think I would prefer to learn how the system works from the ground up. If that makes sense.

Vendorshop or payvment should be first step if you want to look after the client. You can fit the site on facebook into theit own website with payvment I think. These services are free and should be a good test of ecommerce for them.then if the test proves reasonably successful role out their own ecommerce.

Just reread that bit about existing side integration.. even better. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

pcbscott wrote: »

Just reread that bit about existing side integration.. even better. :)
    Vendorshopsocial.com

Google Facebook ecommerce solurions, some are paid, others are totally free. Vendor shop is an Irish company with realex payment integration. Aside from design, payment options, social media, google analytics, content etc are critical. If facebook is not part of their visions then you should make it part. Using iframe app you can represent their shop design into theit landing page. You don't need to learn anything new to do this and it will take you a half hour to set up business page and download the Iframe app.

18 months to a year ago facebook ecommerce wasn't really a runner except in particular cases. Now you can run shops and the only people taking cuts are the payment processors and credit card companies.

If you want to look after them strongly push them towards facebook. They don'r need to use it in their social lives, but in small business it's an absolute necessity to keep old customers coming back. Integrate social features such as likes into site. This is all bread and butter stuff. It doesn't need to take over your their web strategy but twoshop fronts is always Beyer than one.

Advertisement