Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best bargains for washing machines.

• 29-01-2012 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody aware of best price for good washing machines at the moment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rubberducky79

I have been looking online and the best I can come up with in my area is a Finlux 8kg 1200spin one in Harvey Norman for €249. Am checking out this forum to see does anyone have experience with this brand? I seem to go through washing machine at an average of one every 3-4 years so have decided will not be investing in expensive machines anymore but at the same time don't want a ball of dirt either! Any advise appreciated!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That sort of spec at the price doesn't inspire much confidence.

I was gonna say that it looks like a Beko, but having looked it up, it's owned by Beko's main rival, Vestel. I guess that's why it looks similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rubberducky79

Agreed but this low end spec is all my price range will reach. I have spent a lot more on machines in the past with them only lasting a few years anyway. I have taken my chances with an extended guarantee of 5 years, parts and labour so hopefully will get at least the 5 years out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Got sorted with a Hoover machine.
    Needed the service guy out for an issue with the drum (wasn't really Hoover's fault and he sorted it)
    One thing he said and it might be of help if you go through machines at that rate Rubberducky, 'the life of a washing machine is everything to do with the loads you put in, if you overdo the weights consistently then the machine will pull it self apart, much better for the life of the machine to do smaller loads more often'. We went for the bigger drum and higher spec in the end, so we'll see. I still strongly suspect that white goods have built in obsolescence. :(

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I still strongly suspect that white goods have built in obsolescence. :(

Yes it has! recently saw a TV programme where they investigated this, the conclusion was it's done to keep people in jobs and businesses operating etc,

In the former East Germany, white goods were mandated to have an operating life of 25 years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Oh no- a Hoover. They have become possibly the worst brand on the market from experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Yes it has! recently saw a TV programme where they investigated this, the conclusion was it's done to keep people in jobs and businesses operating etc,

In the former East Germany, white goods were mandated to have an operating life of 25 years!
    That's counter intuitive, generally you would think when someone is making a machine it would be the case that they try to make it work for as long as possible to get a good name for the company, not make sure it doesn't last beyond 25 years.

That's counter intuitive, generally you would think when someone is making a machine it would be the case that they try to make it work for as long as possible to get a good name for the company, not make sure it doesn't last beyond 25 years.
    My understanding is that most white goods manufacturers design them with a minimum life of 5 years, after that age most products will need some maintenance.

Five years is considered long enough for consumers not to lose confidence in a manufacturer.

Just compare the life expectancy of domestic & commercial products, the commercial unit will do about ten times the work for twice as long relative to the domestic one.

Advertisement