Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Long Can Ireland, Inc Continue To Borrow 400m a week?

• 29-01-2012 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Surely this has to reach critical mass at some point?

What exactly is this money being borrowed FOR?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Where did you get that figure from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Freddie59 wrote: »

What do you think? To pay for public services.

How long can it continue? Until people stop lending it to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

That 400m is just to keep the country's services running.

We're taking in 35bn per year and spending 60bn, it's unfeasible by anyone's standards. We can't keep doing it for ever, so expect more austerity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

We have already borrowed it, the world bank/ECB have loaned us the money till 2014 then we shouldn't have to, that is the plan anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

robman60 wrote: »
    That 400m is just to keep the country's services running.

We're taking in 35bn per year and spending 60bn, it's unfeasible by anyone's standards. We can't keep doing it for ever, so expect more austerity.

Is there a link to that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

And 800,000 of that 400 million is going on one (lump sum?) retirement package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

A bit longer than Greece can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Things are bad alright.
    Hence why people say ireland is f**ked. But of course, thats usually sarcastically met with "why dont you leave then!" statments on here :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

It's a sad day when the soil you walk on, the air you breathe and the turf that you light on cold January nights to heat your cold feet is owned by someone else and you must pay for it because of the greed of people and financial institutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Hootanany wrote: »
    Where did you get that figure from

- €54.5 billion: The cost of running Ireland in 2010.

- €35.25bn: What the Government is taking in, mostly through taxes, this year.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/is-irelands-number-up-136365.html#ixzz1krhwzUAh

So, give or take 10m or so, borrowings of 400m EVERY week.

Something REALLY has to be done about the cost of the Public Sector and Social Welfare. And these ridiculous settlements/lum sum "entitlements" have to be axed.

• Advertisement

A bit longer than Greece can

But how much? Realistically, we are a nation of some 4.5 million souls. This is truly criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

How many minutes to 12 is that? Need to know if we can start cracking heads open yet and feasting on the goo

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

really would depress ya wouldnt it :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

As long as our leaders are criminals and traitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sindri wrote: »
    It's a sad day when the soil you walk on, the air you breathe and the turf that you light on cold January nights to heat your cold feet is owned by someone else and you must pay for it because of the greed of people and financial institutions.

Its not to do with rants about banks etc. Just to run the country we are spending more than we take in.

It social welfare, public service wages, the health service, education and everything else the government spend money on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

You don't actually believe boards mods are all voluntary do you...???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Not really worried debt only really becomes a problem when you cannot service the interest our current debt levels are about 60-70% of Gdp which believe it or not is not to bad for a developed country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't know if it is good news or not but while the country is broke (just like UK, USA, Italy etc) and lots of individuals in the country are broke, other people have a bit of money.

Personal savings in the country while falling recently still amount to something like €100,000,000,000 at present about €87 billion in the banks and €13 billion in state savings including €1.3 billion in Prize Bonds.

http://blogs.myhome.ie/2011/12/14/household-deposits-continue-to-fall-in-irish-banks/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

could be worse, we could be borrowing 30 billion a week like the usa did last year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Average public sector pay is 48k a year here versus 21.5k a year stg in the UK. Our dole and old age pension in Dundalk is double what it is in Newry, so go figure. We do not have economy of scale either, and our embassy in Canada cost what was it to renovate ? 10 million? Oh, and we give something like 600 million a year from our government to the 3rd world, inc nuclear powers like Pakistan. Go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

rossie1977 wrote: »
    could be worse, we could be borrowing 30 billion a week like the usa did last year

I think they have one or two more people than us though! ;)

gigino wrote: »
    Average public sector pay is 48k a year here versus 21.5k a year stg in the UK. Our dole and old age pension in Dundalk is double what it is in Newry, so go figure. We do not have economy of scale either, and our embassy in Canada cost what was it to renovate ? 10 million? Oh, and we give something like 600 million a year from our government to the 3rd world, inc nuclear powers like Pakistan. Go figure.

It is completely nuts. I really fear for our future. And there are people on boards.ie every day trying to defend and justify it, for whatever insane reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

cut everything, who'll gives a sh1t anyway, there gonna do it anyway over the next 3 years, why the hell delay it,

just do it, do beat around the bush, do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

We will keep doing so as long as the civil servents run the country.

Yep. Got it in one.

It is completely nuts. I really fear for our future. And there are people on boards.ie every day trying to defend and justify it, for whatever insane reason.

Hi Freddie. Your thread died a death for 2 hours and you had to revive it yourself. Maybe people are not that interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Yep. Got it in one.

I run the country?! Cool, think I'll eat the child of someone who works in the private sector..

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I run the country?! Cool, think I'll eat the child of someone who works in the private sector..

I think the ones he's talking about are a little above your pay grade. All 15 of them. The ACTUAL Government.

• Advertisement

Hi Freddie. Your thread died a death for 2 hours and you had to revive it yourself. Maybe people are not that interested.

Right. So commenting on a thread is 'reviving it'? FFS get a grip man.:rolleyes:

Its hard to see how it can be fixed.

Thats €21 billion btw. Does anyone actually know what the deficit is. We hear its anything from 12 billion to 25 billion. You hardly hear the same figure twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Is there anything to be said for a mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Nick Guats

I hate it when people say Ireland inc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Two hours is f#ck-all tbh. Threads disappear for weeks to all of a sudden be at the top of the pile again. Happens all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

woodoo wrote: »
    Its hard to see how it can be fixed.

We'll get Enda pissed up and get him to announce to the world that we're building nuclear weapons, and that we'll have no hesitation using them against any country that looks at us in a funny way.

The deficit will be cleared within 24 hours.

Thats €21 billion btw. Does anyone actually know what the deficit is. We hear its anything from 12 billion to 25 billion. You hardly hear the same figure twice.
    http://www.financedublin.com/debtclock.php

Johro wrote: »

Here is the USA version just for comparison. It's very pretty.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Scary stuff. I've started growing my own fruit and veg. May as well be prepared. Couple of chickens, a goat, the good life. ;)

ejmaztec wrote: »
    We'll get Enda pissed up and get him to announce to the world that we're building nuclear weapons, and that we'll have no hesitation using them against any country that looks at us in a funny way.

The deficit will be cleared within 24 hours.
    Meh. We ain't got the money for fireworks.

• Advertisement

Scary stuff. I've started growing my own fruit and veg. May as well be prepared. Couple of chickens, a goat, the good life. ;)

On a serious note if it all goes bellyup like the merchants of doom are saying the only thing of value will be food. No good having a pocketful of gold coins if the economic system collapses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Meh. We ain't got the money for fireworks.

Bluffs are free.

I think the west is going for a wipe the slate clean time pretty soon. Just look at the american debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

I think the west is going for a wipe the slate clean time pretty soon. Just look at the american debt.

How exactly would they do that?:confused:

On a serious note if it all goes bellyup like the merchants of doom are saying the only thing of value will be food. No good having a pocketful of gold coins if the economic system collapses.
    Yup, we may go back to bartering. I got a plumber to install a stove with back boiler in my sis's house in exchange for me fixing his car. Our neighbour keeps hens and swaps fresh eggs for bags of potatoes from a local farmer. Goods for goods, goods for services or vice versa, or services for services, any of those will work.

How exactly would they do that?:confused:

America just won't pay and then we'll all just jump on the bandwagon

US Gross Domestic Product almost equals its National Debt according to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Bluffs are free.
    Except everyone knows we're skint. ;)
    It's all gone way too far, we're dealing with virtual money now, best to just tell the banks to wipe the slate clean and stfu. Start again. Reset.

• Advertisement
Advertisement