Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up your iHas

• 29-01-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

This is the official tutorial from Team Xecuter

The first thing you need to do is READ THE TUTORIAL!

Now, download the Liteon firmware here . It's the latest official LiteOn firmware for your drive. For example, if you have a LiteOn iHAS124-XX, then download the file from the iHAS124 B link. The example file in the tutorial, AL1A.exe, is for the iHAS324. You must use the "B" version for whatever model have. You can also use a higher model version if you want to activate more features. However, if you didn't get a drive with lightscribe, firmware won't enable it, as it requies additional hardware inside the drive.

Connect your drive to your PC or to a USB port if you are using a USB to SATA enclosure or some other USB to SATA adapter.

Run the update that you download above ^^^^^ and reboot your PC or disconnect/reconnect power to your USB to SATA connected drive. Now you are ready to flash iXtreme Burner Max to your iHAS drive.

Download the two utilities that have download links in the tutorial: Flash_Utility.exe and EEPROM_Utility.exe.

The EEPROM utility is used to backup/restore the EEPROM. The Flash_Utility is used to backup and flash/restore firmware to the drive. It's recommended that you back them up, but it's not required. If you ever need to restore the drive back to stock firmware, you can always download the latest LiteOn firmware above and run it.

Finally, we're to the part that you all bought your drives for - flashing iXtreme Burner Max to your drive.

You will use the Flash_Utility file for this. But, alas, the iXtreme Burner Max firmware has not been released yet. It's planned release is this weekend, so you'll have to wait a few more days. At least now, you'll be able to have your drive prepped and ready to go when the firmware rolls out.

There are a couple of very important things to note here.
    - It doesn't look like JungleFlasher is going to be used for flashing the LT Burner Max Firmware to the LiteOn iHAS drives. There are two reasons: the LiteOn firmware flashing program from codeguys.rpc1.org already does the job well, and to keep people from mistakenly using JungleFlasher on their other PC DVD drives and bricking them.

- You will need to ensure your drive has the latest LiteOn firmware on it before flashing iXtreme Burner Max to it. This is so the EEPROM is fully updated or else you might have issues with burning after you've put Burner Max on it. iXtreme Burner Max does not update the EEPROM. (This is for those of you who ask, "Why do we need to put the latest LiteOn firmware on it if we are just going to replace it?")

- If you are connecting your drive thru USB, you need to make sure the drive is being reported properly as an iHAS drive or you won't be able to flash it.

In order for XGD3 games to be burned properly, the new drives with new firmware will have to burn very close to edge of the disc. This area is where the dye (the material where the data resides) is the most inconsistent. The stock firmware in DVD burners has been coded to stop burning well short of the edge of the dye.

A rip of an XGD2 game is 7,838,695,424 Bytes (7.8 GB); A rip of an XGD3 game is 8,738,846,720 Bytes (8.7 GB).
    Notice how the pressed area of data on the XGD2 and XGD3 retail discs appear to be about the same, yet there is a difference of .9 GB of data when ripped. The XGD2 Backup shows the burn area of the 7.8 GB image being about the same as both retail discs.

Notice the burn area of the XGD3 Backup. 8,547,991,552 Bytes (8.5 GB) of the XGD3 image was written to the disc. That just happens to be the exact rated capacity of 8.5 GB DL discs. (Funny coincidence, I know) The difference is about 191 MB that gets cut off (truncated) at the end. Keeping this chunk of data intact on the backup is what iXtreme Burner Max has been created for. If you compare the 2 backups, notice how much area the additional 709 MB (difference between XDG2 and XGD3 images minus the truncated chunk) takes up and it's only 79% of the total additional data required to burn a full XGD3 image. So, the remaining 21% of the truncated 191 MB, has to fit in the rest of the area within the dye. There's not a whole lot of space left.

Cheaper, lower-grade discs have greater areas of inconsistent dye at the outer tracks than higher-grade discs, such as Verbatim do. This isn't an opinion; it's not debatable; live with it. This is why c4eva and his team have reported that only Verbatim discs have been burning error-free. The statement, "But, my cheaper discs have always worked fine," is irrelevant as you will be burning them with a capacity they were never designed for.

For those of you who wonder why bother with a Burner Max drive for XGD3 games when they have been working fine so far: let's hold a contest to see who can guess the exact number of new security checks that fit inside the 191 MB getting truncated by not using one. The winner gets a freshly-banned console; the runner-up gets a profile that's suspended until 12/31/9999.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've removed sections that contain advice on burning game discs. We don't condone/promote/assist with piracy or software theft so the offending information has been removed.

Everything else seems to be technical information regarding XGD3 etc, I suppose that in itself doesn't break any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

EnterNow wrote: »
    I've removed sections that contain advice on burning game discs. We don't condone/promote/assist with piracy or software theft so the offending information has been removed.

Everything else seems to be technical information regarding XGD3 etc, I suppose that in itself doesn't break any rules.

Ok sorry about them two next time I post something I will make sure that it doesnt brake the rules of this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ok sorry about them two next time I post something I will make sure that it doesnt brake the rules of this forum.

No problem, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

EnterNow wrote: »
    No problem, cheers
    There is no way to edit the title on this is there because I spelt up uo

Advertisement