Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Athlon II X4 631 Quad Core

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

somurray wrote: »
    Is the AMD Athlon II X4 631 Quad Core a good processor for a gaming PC build? It looks great value for a powerful quad core processor, I would probably add a HD 6850 for the discrete graphics.

Prices for the AMD 631 look good right now, for example:

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/10689715/art/amd/athlon-ii-x4-631-quad-cor.html
    No point going AMD at the moment, not great upgrade opportunities although that is fairly cheap for a quad, seeming as that was up near 80 euro a few weeks ago.
    Have you already ordered some of the parts for this build? If you haven't, fill this out and you could get a much better build.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The 631 is for socket FM1. This socket is best suited for those who don't want dedicated graphics cards as most of the CPUs (not the 631) come with good integrated graphics. If you were going to go with AMD, you'd want to be looking at an AM3+ motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

who said that you really need quad core cpu for gaming? not many games use 4 cores these days. if they use 2 - great!

so far if you are looking for budget gaming pc, then i3 2100 or 2120 is your best friend. oh, and yeah, your best friend will bring his own best friend -1155 socket,which differently from any AMD socket has huge potential for upgrades: i5 2400 2500 2500k and later on this year - ivy bridge.

we already built good few budget gaming rigs on i3 2100 platform.

*i am not AMD CPU hater, its just they suck monkey balls right now... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Quite a lot of games use more than two cores for gaming, it's just that the i3s are powerful and can keep up with old quad cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Monotype wrote: »
    Quite a lot of games use more than two cores for gaming, it's just that the i3s are powerful and can keep up with old quad cores.

Yes, there are more and more games who now use 4 cores, but things is that CPU plays lesser role with each year. Gaming is almost fully dependant of gpu. Ofc there are games who prefer CPU power ( sc2, civ, f1 2011 etc ), but that is just a drop in sea.

Anyway, I think we bouth agree that i3 sandybridge is better option for any budget gaming rig at this moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement