Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dress code is national dress?!

• 29-01-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I'm going to London with my college's Model UN group and for one of the social events, the dress code calls for 'national dress.' I have absolutely no idea what I'll wear.

When I try to think of Irish national dress, I really just think of Irish dancing costumes and that kind of Celtic design. That's a no-go for me, I've no way of borrowing any kind of an Irish dancing costume from anyone and also, I never even mastered the 1,2,3's, so were I to wear a dancing costume, I'd be afraid of the requests I'd get to showcase some Irish dancing!

Any suggestions? To further complicate the situation, I'm fairly broke so can't afford to spend a huge amount of money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tracksuit tucked into white socks, and baseball cap with its peak aiming skyward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There is no such thing as national dress here. Just turn up neatly dressed and explain that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

unisex-aran-jumper-25-p.jpg

I jest I jest. What about something below?

irishdressfb.jpg

It looks fairly basic so perhaps it could be homemade or various parts could be bought on the likes of eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

This lot might be able to help -http://www.montague.ie/services.html

The offer a sale/hire service for films, TV,historical re-enactors, festivals etc. Jesse de Burca Montague is very nice, approachable, and efficient -she would def be worth contacting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCSuNstkVabb8LUz1SNj_bfw9lfxo4sKCg2mV8zUabjbORWi4OInxQQvya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Don't know if you're male or female, so here are two suggestions:

leprechaun_joe_medium.jpg

sexy-leprechaun-costume.jpg

Just as long as you don't go in pyjamas, which seem to be becoming the national costume.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Has to be PJs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Picture-153.jpeg

I actually like a Aran Jumper idea!

I was in London there last week actually and a Danish girl who is living with my friend was asking me what our national dress is...she couldn't believe we didn't have one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think your best best is to go for something evocative of Irish Lace Crochet which was popular as 'best' wear 100+ years ago in this country. It was made popular during the famine when charities taught women how to make fancy crochet in order to earn money, so you'll have a story to tell anyone who asks about it's origin in Ireland.

This is an antique Irish crochet wedding dress,
    edwardverylaceneilgownt.jpg
    http://antiquedress.com/item2764.htm

And this is an antique Irish crochet tea dress
    2627.jpg
    http://vintagetextile.com/new_page_442.htm

Obviously actual antiques are budget busters but you could easily get something in a style that borrows from them. A lot of high street shops will have it, as will many one off boutiques and you'll find a big selection on ebay.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Dresses-/63861/i.html?_kw=crochet%20dress&_catref=1&_clu=2&_dmd=1&_fcid=99&_localstpos=&_sc=1&_sop=15&_stpos=&_vc=1&gbr=1

ETA: There is a history of crochet in Ireland here, which you might be interested in if you decide to wear it. Interestingly it says that Cork was the capital of crochet making for a while, so as your location is Cork it may be doubly suitable to you.
    Cork was the leading center in Southern Ireland. There was 12,000 to 20,000 girls being employed in its production from 1847. Adelaide School for Crochet, in Cork, became the place where lace was made and sold.
    http://everything-jewels.hubpages.com/hub/The-History-Beauty-of-Irish-Lace-Crochet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I think it's a bit of fun. The leprechaun dress is best I think. Go for something cheap and cheerful anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

Thanks for all the advice. It's a fairly classy affair, so I'll be giving the tracksuits a miss I'd say and similarly, I'm afraid the leprechaun dress would be a bit trasy looking!

I'll try and find some kind of niceish green dress and I'll paint little shamrocks on my face, that'll do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yeah, MUN stuff is usually fairly formal/ dressy, so it'd need to be something good.

Are meant to be going in your own national dress, or the dress of the country you're representing? Just wondering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

An Aran sweater and a tweed flat cap would be the most 'Irish' I think...without being too tacky! Check charity shops and you might get lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

0003a652-970.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well Holy God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

What are the other Irish members of the group going as? It'd be best to have the same theme anyway.

For those interested in accuracy a saffron kilt, and loose shirt worn with a cloak (like the army pipe band) is the nearest thing to a national dress. It was worn by Gaelic Revivalists at the turn of the last century.

Advertisement