Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blu Ray Drive not spinning disc

• 29-01-2012 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

As the title says my ps3 will not spin a disc when inserted. I've ruled it down to being either the laser or the spin motor.

Anyone have or heard of any similar issues ?

Model : 80gb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's likely the laser is burned out, hence the drive won't try to spin up a disc if there is no disc detected.

It's also possible that it's motor problem, but laser issues to my knowledge would far and away outweigh motor issues.

Does it read audio cd's or PS1 games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Nope won't read anything. When I had the drive disassembled and clicked the sensor, one of the lasers would flash a blue/purple color.

Are lasers easy to get hold of ? If not so them i'm sure I could do the job myself.

Nope won't read anything. When I had the drive disassembled and clicked the sensor, one of the lasers would flash a blue/purple color.

Are lasers easy to get hold of ? If not them i'm sure I could do the job myself.

Are there one or two laser apertures in your PS3? Easy repair either way, there's plenty if tutorial videos etc on it you should have no bother doing it

EnterNow wrote: »
    Are there one or two laser apertures in your PS3? Easy repair either way, there's plenty if tutorial videos etc on it you should have no bother doing it

There is two.

Any chance you could recommend me a couple of good websites or even walk-in shops that sell what I'm looking for ? :)

There is two.

Any chance you could recommend me a couple of good websites or even walk-in shops that sell what I'm looking for ? :)

Hmm, if there's two apertures, & even a CD won't spin up, it's likely a motor problem then. Unless both have failed,which would be unusual.

I doubt you'll get parts in any walk in shop, at least not for sane money. I'd suggest Ebay maybe, & stick to verified, reputable sellers. None of that Hong Kong stuff, I've had PS3 laser assemblies dead on arrival from Hong Kong a few times. I usually pay the bit extra now from legit UK sellers to save headaches

• Advertisement

Have just tried a CD, DVD and a game and not any of them spun.

I started the full restore earlier on as recommended on a few websites (backed up as much as I could) and am just waiting for it to finish now.

Have to say though when I opened it up earlier on I was shocked with how much of a dust magnet they are :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Have just tried a CD, DVD and a game and not any of them spun.

I started the full restore earlier on as recommended on a few websites (backed up as much as I could) and am just waiting for it to finish now.

Have to say though when I opened it up earlier on I was shocked with how much of a dust magnet they are :eek:.

send me a pm i should have some double lazer drives in the house

massy086 wrote: »
    send me a pm i should have some double lazer drives in the house

Thanks for the offer man, much appreciated. :)

I'm just gonna send it of to a friend of a friend's repair shop who deal in all that stuff and let them diagnose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Thanks for the offer man, much appreciated. :)

I'm just gonna send it of to a friend of a friend's repair shop who deal in all that stuff and let them diagnose it.
    no probs at all just be prepared to pay a high price some of these shops are asking silly money to repair what is an easy repair

massy086 wrote: »
    no probs at all just be prepared to pay a high price some of these shops are asking silly money to repair what is an easy repair

Of course if it's crazy money for the job I'll probably will end take you up on that offer.

I'll post back here when I know what the issue is with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭veloc123

Of course if it's crazy money for the job I'll probably will end take you up on that offer.

I'll post back here when I know what the issue is with it.

The issue is your blu ray lens is dead hence why the disk won't spin...firstly find out the correct lens you need and order from Ebay UK (Got mine from a guy in the Isle of Man). PS3 blu ray lenses have a really low life expectancy.

veloc123 wrote: »
    The issue is your blu ray lens is dead hence why the disk won't spin...firstly find out the correct lens you need and order from Ebay UK (Got mine from a guy in the Isle of Man). PS3 blu ray lenses have a really low life expectancy.

The OP's laser assembly has two apertures, & even a cd won't spin up. It's unlikely both are dead, which would indicate a motor failure. But it is possible, as lasers are, generally, sh1te.

EnterNow wrote: »
    The OP's laser assembly has two apertures, & even a cd won't spin up. It's unlikely both are dead, which would indicate a motor failure. But it is possible, as lasers are, generally, sh1te.

The two lenses are on the same component and they both become unusable if one dies....mine is a dual layer lens and died at the same time...make sure you get the right lens for the right drive or you will be screwed...

veloc123 wrote: »
    The two lenses are on the same component and they both become unusable if one dies....mine is a dual layer lens and died at the same time...make sure you get the right lens for the right drive or you will be screwed...

I've seen plenty that play ps1 discs & cd's & just not blu rays :confused:

Got PS3 back with a new laser installed :)

Got PS3 back with a new laser installed :)

You should be grand then....you could have done it yourself but it can be tricky...happy days for ya...

Advertisement