Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dummy CCTV

Options
  • 29-01-2012 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I have been considering installing some dummy CCTV camaras with the blinking red LED on my house.

Has anyone any experience of using these to deter anti-social behaviour and teens loitering in their garden?

Do they have an effect?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They stand out a mile. Real CCTV doesn't have a flashing LED.
    Buy some real housing & put that up.
    Take a look at the suppliers sticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

What about one without the LED. There is one I was looking at that tracks movement in a certain range. If someone walks in front of it it will track them. OTT?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Do you have a link to what your looking at.?

I can't find the motion tracker one I was looking at the other day, maybe it was a BS advertisement(On ebay) , as I seen the same camera without the motiong tracking.

I was thinking along the lines of this one

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CCTV-Camera-Fake-All-Weather-use-Very-Realistic-/250685982789?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item3a5e0c8845

I am trying to find one that looks like the big chunky CCTV cameras you would expect the local council to use.

The bracket and cabling is very false.
    The cables couldn't be going anywhere from that position. The bracket looks too light to hold a real camera in housing .
    But is that price is the budget then work away.
    Spend around €100 & get real housing some copex & an obo box . Then it would look the part.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    The bracket and cabling is very false.
    The cables couldn't be going anywhere from that position. The bracket looks too light to hold a real camera in housing .
    But is that price is the budget then work away.
    Spend around €100 & get real housing some copex & an obo box . Then it would look the part.

Thanks for the info.
    I didnt know you could buy housing alone. Budgets not a problem at all, I will spend €€€'s is long as it gives my family some peace at night. Just don't want the hassle of actually monitoring a real camera. Most of the youths are too young to be prosecuted anyway so footage is pretty useless (They're all around 15 ish) but I see some of the neighbours on the road have cameras and they don't seem to go near their gardens.

What is an obo box? I looked at some of the suppliers websites and I can't see anything to do with camera housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

OBO box is a plastic type of junction box that u do your connections in...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

I looked at some of the suppliers websites and I can't see anything to do with camera housing.

Ring a few off the list, they will have plenty in stock.

What is an obo box?

BT-OBO-spec.jpgcopex-hft-dietzel-1.jpg
    I looked at some of the suppliers websites and I can't see anything to do with camera housing.

They all will sell housing on its own.

Cheers yes I know what that is in the image just did'nt know the name. I will call around those suppliers tommorow.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Your welcome. Let us know how you get on.;)

Advertisement