Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending My Home Wireless Network Range With Old Eircom Router Settings

• 29-01-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, i have a zyxel eircom router (black with 1 antenna) downstairs that is my main router (that it has the wan connection connected for internet). It is a 54Mb connection but upstairs i only get 24Mb so i got an old eircom router (the same type as my main one) and have it upstairs and connected to the main one downstairs with an Ethernet cable. I have been fiddling with the setting and it works for the most part, but it regularly says no DSL connection but then after a few mins works again. I am looking for the correct way to simply boost the range of my wireless connection for upstairs.

I have changed the following settings, lets say the main router downstairs is called A and the spare upstairs is called B.

I have gone into both router settings and named them the same SSID name and password. changed the DHCP on router B from server to bridge (or relay cant remember) and have both routers on the same channel.

I had previously had them on other settings with the same issues but as it stands they are set to what i have written above.

any help would be much appreciated!

Regards
    Aaron.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Turn off DHCP on router B
    Put the wirless on B to a differnt channel than A.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Aaron_Ragmaan

Turn off DHCP on router B
    Put the wirless on B to a differnt channel than A.

great thanks ill try that now, should the routers not have different IP address also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Yes they should.
    If router A is 192.168.1.1 then set router B to 192.168.1.2
    also set the range in the DHCP server on router A to start at something like 192.168.1.10...that way there wont be any IP conflicts between the routers.

Yes they should.
    If router A is 192.168.1.1 then set router B to 192.168.1.2
    also set the range in the DHCP server on router A to start at something like 192.168.1.10...that way there wont be any IP conflicts between the routers.

I still seem to be having some trouble with my internet. It not that reliable at all. here are my current settings

88903244.th.jpg

83991043.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You don't, and can't, have a DSL connection on the second modem. If you have this modem connected to the phone line at all, disconnect it.

I can see the B modem is in routing mode, it shouldn't be. If it's trying to route on the same network that already has an active router then you're going to have problems.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    You don't, and can't, have a DSL connection on the second modem. If you have this modem connected to the phone line at all, disconnect it.

I can see the B modem is in routing mode, it shouldn't be. If it's trying to route on the same network that already has an active router then you're going to have problems.

ok so your saying to change the route setting, the only option besides that is bridge. so i assume thats what im supposed to do next. Is there anything else i should know for this or should this work? so just to clarify for anyone ready this in 15 years time! so far i have

2 routers connected via ethernet cable
    router A (main one with internet connection)
    router B (spare router upstairs for increasing signal range)

Name router B's SSID the same as router A and give it the same password but put each of them on separate channels.

Disable the DHCP on router B
    make sure router B has a different router IP address than router A
    Change route mode to bridge mode on router B

ill let you know if this works!! but id imagine there will be some other issue!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭brian_bugle

Aaron,

I'm trying to do the same at home. Did the way you've explained in your last post here work in the end?

Thanks

Advertisement