Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hopelessly overpriced bicycle thread..!!Mod warning - no stolen bike discussion!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Most of the carbon bikes come from china so the quality of a lot of the stuff is quite good. My handlebars and wheels are farsport which is aliexpress but are also UCI certified

I'm not sure about the UCI certification but it may not be what you assume. Much like CE (Chinese Export) over there is not the same as the CE safety standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the UCI certification but it may not be what you assume. Much like CE (Chinese Export) over there is not the same as the CE safety standard.

I'm not sure if there's a similarly easy method for UCI, but just to demonstrate what iwillhtfu is talking about

CE-and-China-Export-1.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

UCI certification refers to the dimensions, not strength or quality.

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/equipment/approval-protocol-eng.pdf

though that does state "the bicycle is a vehicle with two wheels of equal diameter".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

UCI certification refers to the dimensions, not strength or quality.

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/equipment/approval-protocol-eng.pdf

though that does state "the bicycle is a vehicle with two wheels of equal diameter".

Somebody needs to talk to the U.C.I. about downhill mountainbikes. It's quite the fashion nowadays for DH bikes to have wheels of different diameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Somebody needs to talk to the U.C.I. about downhill mountainbikes. It's quite the fashion nowadays for DH bikes to have wheels of different diameters.
    Wasn't it fashionable for a while for TT bikes to have a smaller front wheel? (or did they just look like they had?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

That thing drinks at the Ming Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

Wasn't it fashionable for a while for TT bikes to have a smaller front wheel? (or did they just look like they had?)

I think you are right. Back in the low profile days I think they had 650c on the front and 700c on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

This one I like for a lot of reasons:

- Mega Build Description
    - New equivalent Canyon only a few quid more, or cheaper for a 105 Disc Canyon with Carbon Frame
    - Individual priced components all much cheaper when searched on google

https://touch.adverts.ie/road-bikes/mega-build-all-carbon-t1000-ultegra-bike/20682787

Woeful job on the bar tape - should have finished it just after the bend instead of going all the way on the tops.

Would only offer a grand on that basis...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

CormacH94 wrote: »
    Woeful job on the bar tape - should have finished it just after the bend instead of going all the way on the tops.

Would only offer a grand on that basis...

.....also stem not lined up properly!

Also, the pic reference to the Avenger bike is a different frame profile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Amazon has become completely useless for cycling - almost everything is a similar category of junk

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

bingobars wrote: »

I made the mistake of looking at the other items that have for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Trek Domane AL3 (A Covid Cycle)

I will leave you to conclude whether this was a good deal or not. Have been looking for a reasonable and easy road bike for a year, new or nearly new. Stupid prices in Ireland so I had a good scan of the UK second hand market when I was over there a month ago. Found said bike on Facebook Marketplace. Fella bought it April 2020, 1150 sterling from Surrey supplier, was after 600 for it. Spotless condition. Few extras, clips, good saddle, nice bidon holders. Eventually got it for 450 sterling. He wanted electric replacement bike. Took it out Saturday for first ride. Nice and tight. Plenty of Covid specials about over there, Gumtree and Facebook particularly.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

TopTec wrote: »
    Trek Domane AL3 (A Covid Cycle)

I will leave you to conclude whether this was a good deal or not. Have been looking for a reasonable and easy road bike for a year, new or nearly new. Stupid prices in Ireland so I had a good scan of the UK second hand market when I was over there a month ago. Found said bike on Facebook Marketplace. Fella bought it April 2020, 1150 sterling from Surrey supplier, was after 600 for it. Spotless condition. Few extras, clips, good saddle, nice bidon holders. Eventually got it for 450 sterling. He wanted electric replacement bike. Took it out Saturday for first ride. Nice and tight. Plenty of Covid specials about over there, Gumtree and Facebook particularly.

TT

Any chance he gave you the original receipt. Sometimes a bargain is too good and bike theft is as rampant over there as here 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Any chance he gave you the original receipt. Sometimes a bargain is too good and bike theft is as rampant over there as here 🙈

Yes, original printed receipt, met the guy at his house, original Trek box in his garage and I checked the frame number on the Uk stolen bike register, although after I got home as my phone wasn't working properly at his place. I had been searching the Ads for a couple of weeks in the area so got to know what was out there price wise. I had a bike stolen when I lived in London so am pretty careful.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Decided to sell a mountain bike I built up as despite good intentions I never took it out more than a handful of times and cant see myself using it but once a year. Went on to the sites , adverts , done deal etc to get a rough feel of what it might go for. I'm proper shocked at how overpriced the stuff people are selling is and how much people seem to be paying for fairly low level used bikes when a bit more could get them better or equal brand new , It must be a covid influenced bike supply thing or is it like this always ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Decided to sell a mountain bike I built up as despite good intentions I never took it out more than a handful of times and cant see myself using it but once a year. Went on to the sites , adverts , done deal etc to get a rough feel of what it might go for. I'm proper shocked at how overpriced the stuff people are selling is and how much people seem to be paying for fairly low level used bikes when a bit more could get them better or equal brand new , It must be a covid influenced bike supply thing or is it like this always ?

No, it's absolutely a sellers market at the moment, good time to be shifting a bike. I reckon I could make 50% on what I paid for any of the MTB's here. It'll stay like that until the supply chains start moving again. I was looking at something the other day and expected delivery wouldn't be for 38 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thud

you'll also see inflated prices on those sites to counter the initial low ball offer. if you put your bike up for its actual value expect to be offered 50% of it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

£1k Carbon balance bike

p5pb19773067.jpg
    Specialized has designed what it calls the 'ultimate first bike' with a full carbon version of its Hotwalk strider bike.

The frame, fork, handlebar and wheels are all carbon and the Rhythm Lite tires have also been redesigned for lightness on this bike with the aim of making it as maneuvrable as possible for young shredders. This is the only kids' bike that Specialized has ever made from carbon and as a result, it's also the brand's lightest ever bike, coming in at 4.63 lbs (2.1kg).

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialized-launches-999-carbon-hotwalk-for-toddlers.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Inquitus wrote: »

That is far too heavy. I got the wee fella this 1.9kg and it is only 3.6% the cost.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-nippy-superlight-balance-bike

Eat his dust!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

That is far too heavy.

Maybe ... but it is kinda cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

That is far too heavy. I got the wee fella this 1.9kg and it is only 3.6% the cost.

Eat his dust!

If ever a post matched a thread title, this would be it!

Bravo for your purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Inquitus wrote: »
    I think this seems appropriate🀔

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Eat his dust!
    i think i know which would last longer, too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

i think i know which would last longer, too...

https://twitter.com/conordunnealot/status/1334625371938041856?s=19

This 1000%.
    The abuse my friends kid put his 50 euro Halfords balance bike through over it's life, that stupid waste of money wouldn't last pissing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Eat his dust!

My daughter loves her green one. Great little yoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/canyon-ultimate-cf-8-0-road-bike/22095156

Am perplexed by lads asking for mad money for an old (ish) bike and not evening wiping the thing down, I'd jump to the conclusion that it hasn't been cared for properly if they can't be arsed cleaning it before selling it.

Look at the dust on that yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

CormacH94 wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/canyon-ultimate-cf-8-0-road-bike/22095156

Am perplexed by lads asking for mad money for an old (ish) bike and not evening wiping the thing down, I'd jump to the conclusion that it hasn't been cared for properly if they can't be arsed cleaning it before selling it.

Look at the dust on that yoke

That drivetrain looks like it's never been cleaned! I paid €1450 for a 2016 SLX9 with Campag Record 11 speed in as new condition last year. Way overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

https://touch.adverts.ie/road-bikes/giant-viking-defy-2/22454279

There's a lot going on here. 7 years old with Tiagra. The 'cycle suit' alone has me intrigued. Is it included in the price? Why would it cost €300? I know Clonakilty pudding commands a premium, but still.

Advertisement