Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hopelessly overpriced bicycle thread..!!Mod warning - no stolen bike discussion!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

16 Speed Claris, Alloy Frame, Giant Defy £150,000. It's been on here before, but now yours to buy on ebay with free worldwide shipping.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/IS-THIS-THE-WORLDS-MOST-BEAUTIFUL-BIKE-IN-24K-GOLD-AUTHENTIC-VS1-DIAMONDS-/112118753825?hash=item1a1acc6a21:g:-tcAAOSw9IpXyWRW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Inquitus wrote: »
    16 Speed Claris, Alloy Frame, Giant Defy £150,000. It's been on here before, but now yours to buy on ebay with free worldwide shipping.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/IS-THIS-THE-WORLDS-MOST-BEAUTIFUL-BIKE-IN-24K-GOLD-AUTHENTIC-VS1-DIAMONDS-/112118753825?hash=item1a1acc6a21:g:-tcAAOSw9IpXyWRW

If I got a sudden rush of blood to my head, and decided to gold plate a bike, I think I'd start with a well spec'd bike, rather than one with F.S.A. Tempo chain set, Tektro brakes and Claris group set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If I got a sudden rush of blood to my head, and decided to gold plate a bike, I think I'd start with a well spec'd bike, rather than one with F.S.A. Tempo chain set, Tektro brakes and Claris group set.

I was just thinking that for that price I'd at least want an Ultegra groupset. Ultegra Di2 if I was feeling fancy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Eamonnator wrote: »
    you're missing the point. it's art; you're not intending to enter the tour de france on this bike. the fact that your bike is gold plated will completely outshine your mates who think they're fancy because they're using three year old dura ace.
    the fact that it's gold, a famously heavy metal, will matter not when you're trying to keep up with said friends on a tough climb.

I think it's an ideal winter bike for Beasty........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can't see any issues with leaving that parked in town.

FWIW I asked what size frame it is, hate to disappoint all you tall folk out there but it's a medium!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

FWIW I asked what size frame it is, hate to disappoint all you tall folk out there but it's a medium!

I'm out so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

In the description, it says "no reserve". There are no bids on it, so I bid €200, just to get the ball rolling. They wouldn't accept my offer.

The sellers only have 87.5% positive feedback. I'm not sure, I'd be happy dealing with them anyway.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think it's an ideal winter bike for Beasty........
    Don't build me up to slam me straight back down again:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Inquitus wrote:

Tis fair rotten all the same

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Tis fair rotten all the same

Indeed the Defy is a pretty ugly looking bike, with pretty ugly Geometry, if anything gold plating it just accentuates the awful design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Indeed the Defy is a pretty ugly looking bike, with pretty ugly Geometry, if anything gold plating it just accentuates the awful design.

Now now, I won't have a bad word said about the Defy, its a very good looking bike designed in a functional manner:

Giant%20Defy%20Advanced%20SL.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think i put this in the ugly thread a while back. It belongs here too I'd say. An odd build with a triple 105 at the front too.

http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/speed-bike-full-carbon-magnesium-alloy-wheel-and-disk-brake/10659957

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭alexinkildare

Mother of god !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Weepsie wrote: »
    I think i put this in the ugly thread a while back. It belongs here too I'd say. An odd build with a triple 105 at the front too.

http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/speed-bike-full-carbon-magnesium-alloy-wheel-and-disk-brake/10659957

Fugly just doesn't go far enough
    Not to mention I wouldn't pay 500 for it considering the bog standard kit that's on it

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Weepsie wrote: »

My eyes are so sore right now. Why things like that exist?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the wheels look like they're facing backwards too. is that they way they're meant to look?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Given the back edge of each 'spoke' is flat, I'd say so. Also, note that the cassette is on the correct side...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

you're missing the point. it's art; you're not intending to enter the tour de france on this bike. the fact that your bike is gold plated will completely outshine your mates who think they're fancy because they're using three year old dura ace.
    the fact that it's gold, a famously heavy metal, will matter not when you're trying to keep up with said friends on a tough climb.

I'm not convinced electroplating something automatically turns it into art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I'm not convinced electroplating something automatically turns it into art.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man...

Here's a beauty for everyone to marvel at
    http://www.adverts.ie/11448972
    Enjoy

Just spotted this on adverts there.
    The last picture isn't even of the stand
    http://www.adverts.ie/11523237

heh, 80% price drop after i queried it.

He still hasn't edited his ad tho. I'll be keeping an eye on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

He still wants €100 for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

dvntie wrote: »
    Just spotted this on adverts there.
    The last picture isn't even of the stand
    http://www.adverts.ie/11523237

the cheek of him, after someone mentioned them being on sale in Aldi for €30 he says this one is not from Aldi/Lidl but he follows it up by saying he's not sure where it was bought from...well I know for a fact it's an Aldi/Lidl stand because I have the exact same one at home.
    I had to add my tuppence worth, people like this make me sick.

he seems to have deleted my comment where i put in a link showing the lidl stand.

if you read the feedback on the seller, he seems to sell stuff quite often for his dad, but his replies to negative feedback are great.

• Advertisement

the cheek of him, after someone mentioned them being on sale in Aldi for €30 he says this one is not from Aldi/Lidl but he follows it up by saying he's not sure where it was bought from...well I know for a fact it's an Aldi/Lidl stand because I have the exact same one at home.
    I had to add my tuppence worth, people like this make me sick.

Yep cheeky ****er alright

Advertisement