Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

colt 1911 .22lr

Options
  • 29-01-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering has anyone got/owned/used a colt 1911 .22lr pistol. if so what are your thoughts on it and what did you use it for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I had one in .45acp for target shooting. Nice round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

rowa wrote: »
    I had one in .45acp for target shooting. Nice round.

unfortunatly i cant licence it in that calibre:(

ruger do a 22/45, while it hasn't the looks of the colt 1911 has some of the same features such as the grip angle etc and is probabily much better made then some the cheap replicas.

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

In 1998 you could have bought my Colt Ace - a genuine made-as-a-.22 version of the M1911. Due to a fancy bit of mechanical trickery and a crafty expansion chamber, it had a recoil that was quite a lot more than ANY .22 had a right to be.

The best M1911 look-alike is the one imported here by Low Mills - since you live in a country where handguns are still permitted - at the moment - you'll be able to buy one that still looks like the real deal, not the monstrosity that we have to put up with here on mainland GB.

And stay away from the awful GSG version - the general consensus is that it's a POS.

tac

tac foley wrote: »

And stay away from the awful GSG version - the general consensus is that it's a POS.

tac

Really cause i was looking at one of them and was half tempted

• Advertisement

most of those replica's i have seen are built down to a price zinc-alloy plinkers for kids in the states. buy a ruger or some other good make , they are in a different league.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

tac

That's funny i've heard quite the opposite, and that the GSG is one of the best .22 1911s out there. I was in the market for a .22 pistol last year and spent a lot of time researching my purchase and nearly went for the GSG based on what i had read about them, but i decided against a 1911 style in the end. A quick google reveals countless positive reviews and they are well loved on 1911 forums, so what exactly makes them a POS ?
    Just curious

The Low Mills gun is a solid piece of kit - I've played with one. It seems to be made of steel. The GSG version is mostly pressure die-cast with an insert barrel.

I've seen many reports of the slide on the GSG version disintegrating, and a lack of replacements, too.

You decide.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I'd recommend the Beretta 87T, if you are after a larger frame .22 pistol.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Do you want something good to look at or a fairly decent/serious target pistol? Not being smart. I mean looks on a firearm are important, but so is performance.

A friend was looking at one of these recently so i thought i'd throw it out there as an option.

S&W Model 41.
    130511_01_md.jpg

By all accounts a good/great pistol, in .22 cal. Not too expensive either.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Ezridax wrote: »
    Do you want something good to look at or a fairly decent/serious target pistol? Not being smart. I mean looks on a firearm are important, but so is performance.

A friend was looking at one of these recently so i thought i'd throw it out there as an option.

S&W Model 41.
    130511_01_md.jpg

Really ? I have seen one and was impressed with the quality , what sort of money are they ?

I have a sig mosquito at the moment but it wont do as i want to enter a few competitions and the sig isnt up to it. So i need something better but i dont want to break the bank. yhe colt 1911 was working out around 480.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

S&W Model 41.
    130511_01_md.jpg

I've shot with one of the Model 41 and they are a very good pistol. Nice fit in the hand and accurate as well.

Cost here is €1450 -€1600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Not like a 1911 but the browning buckmark is both a fantastic looking gun and a tack driver to,boot. The 41 is a classy piece of kit but is twice.the price.

B'Man

S&W Model 41.
    130511_01_md.jpg

I couldn't agree more. A totally reliable, well-tried and much-respected target pistol with two barrel lengths to chose from. Mine was made in 1964 and still looked like new the day it was handed in for destruction.

It is a nigh-on perfect copy of the Walther Olympia from the mid-30s' and virtually identical in feel to the Haemmerli 208/210.

I recommend it, if my recommendation has any substance here.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

I recommend it, if my recommendation has any substance here.

tac

+1
    I agree with you there Tac, the Model 41 is a truly great gun and well worth the money. I bought one recently and I cant fault it. It is way more accurate than I will ever be and I imagine it will still be shooting in 30 years time.

Unfortunatly it well out of my budget at the moment

The ruger mk1/2/3 series of pistols or the browning buckmark are the way to go then tommyboy, i had a ruger and its a well made pistol only problem with them is learning to dismantle/reassemble them for cleaning. Cz/ brno are doing a nice target pistol too , but i can't remember the model number.

Its good to see all the positive reviews of the Model 41. Had the opportunity to shoot one a while ago, and really enjoyed it, but thats as far as my experience with them go.

They are more expensive thatn most, but worth it. Also thats new prices. Secondhand would not be as dear. My mate is buying his second hand, and its in perfect condition.

Might be worthwhile to ring around. Drop me a PM, and i might be able to give you a few names of people that have or can locate one for ya.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I'd just like to point out that there are two different model 41 Smith and Wessons: those being made now and the older models.
    The new models are significantly cheaper than the older models are, even second hand.
    Generally, people seem to rate the older models much higher than the newer ones. That being said, the new ones don'e seem to be bad shooters either.

Just bear this in mind when you are looking at them in shops. New is not always better.

Also, stay well clear of the much cheaper S&W 22a, they really aren't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Hibrion wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out that there are two different model 41 Smith and Wessons: those being made now and the older models.
    The new models are significantly cheaper than the older models are, even second hand.
    Generally, people seem to rate the older models much higher than the newer ones. That being said, the new ones don'e seem to be bad shooters either.

Just bear this in mind when you are looking at them in shops. New is not always better.

Well ....

If you down to the woods today - and go to a few competitions - you may find you will get your ass whipped by a 22a. There are a lot of them about and they win most competitions (well the folks standing behind them do - but you know what I mean).

Personally, I learned to shoot on an old and battered Colt Woodsman which was probably older than my Da. It looked like it had been hammer forged in the fires of mount mordor but it ate anything you gave it and was accurate as hell (magazine release was a pain in the hole tho).

B'Man

Interesting to hear, Bman. I'm not a competitive kinda guy, so wouldn't know much about competitions. Anyone I've known who had one wasn't too happy with them. For the saem money, the Buckmark seems a better buy. But each to their own.

The main thing I want to point out, is that there are two model 41s.

Those little colts have a great rep. I've never seen or held one, but I've read countless good reviews of them.

Found it , its the cz 122 sport , i don't know if the super will give you a cert for one though as its not on the famous list.

http://www.sportec.se/center/cz122sport.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

OR for a little bit more have a look at this

A Feinwerkbau AW93. Lovely to shoot and a tack driver. Little recoil and easy to strip, only 2 small screws to take the handle off.

About €2000 here, great value.

AW93inthehand1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hibrion wrote: »

The 22A is a cracking little gun for the price. The version with the 7" barrell is pretty accurate. It's ideal for anybody starting off and plenty of people are still winning competitions with them.

haha.. it's funny how you never hear a good word about a pistol, until you relay the bad reports you've heard!

I find a lot of the bad mouthing of all kinds of firearms is done on american forums, a lot of the american shooters have an attitude that if its not american made then its junk. Its sad as i have seen great firearms being slagged of for no reason other then where they were made , eg cz/brno rifles.
    Another pistol to consider tommyboy is the hammerli xesse, its supposed to be good and not to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Im just wondering has anyone got/owned/used a colt 1911 .22lr pistol. if so what are your thoughts on it and what did you use it for?

I don't know why everyone is suggesting different pistols or talking about the GSG 1911. My understanding is the OP asked about the Colt 1911 .22lr.

OP I have got/used/own a colt 1911 .22lr. It's a great gun, great fun, accurate and reliable. Not a problem at all and in my opinion is better than the GSG model.

No your not going to be the worlds number 1 target shooter with it but then again your not paying ridiculous prices either. It is well worth the money and I highly recommend it.

If you get hooked on that type of shooting and want to seriously compete then by all means splash out 1000 plus for a serious target pistol. Until then, have some fun with the 1911 :) after all shooting is meant to be fun right?

bravestar wrote: »
    I don't know why everyone is suggesting different pistols or talking about the GSG 1911. My understanding is the OP asked about the Colt 1911 .22lr.
    And was advised against it with recommendations of other pistols that for similar or slightly more money would be far better.

I mean why buy a 1911, then need or want something else in a few months to better compete with?
    No your not going to be the worlds number 1 target shooter with it but then again your not paying ridiculous prices either.
    What price is the 1911 in .22lr?
    If you get hooked on that type of shooting and want to seriously compete then by all means splash out 1000 plus for a serious target pistol.
    There is no need to pay "big money" for a target pistol. There are great pistols out there to be bought at good money if a person looks enough.

Its a buyers market, and thats not just a saying. Thing is DO NOT buy on impulse or without looking carefully at everything on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

bravestar wrote: »
    And was advised against it with recommendations of other pistols that for similar or slightly more money would be far better.

I mean why buy a 1911, then need or want something else in a few months to better compete with?
    No your not going to be the worlds number 1 target shooter with it but then again your not paying ridiculous prices either.
    What price is the 1911 in .22lr?
    If you get hooked on that type of shooting and want to seriously compete then by all means splash out 1000 plus for a serious target pistol.
    There is no need to pay "big money" for a target pistol. There are great pistols out there to be bought at good money if a person looks enough.

Its a buyers market, and thats not just a saying. Thing is DO NOT buy on impulse or without looking carefully at everything on offer.

Price of brand new colt 1911 .22lr, 400-450 euro. I agree with avoiding impulse buying but for that price it's hard to beat. When I was getting a pistol I looked at everything on offer, the 1911 did exactly what I wanted and for the right price

Advertisement