Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a landlord.

Options
  • 29-01-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can give some advice in this situation.

Suppose I inherited a house 10 years ago that was previously my family home. I now decide to rent the property to a tenant who is in receipt of rent subsidy. What are my obligations and what tax must I pay on rental income? Is there a rent threshold on the amount of rent charged over which tax becomes liable, or, is the rental income combined to my earnings and taxed as a whole?

I'm asking this question on behalf of someone else whom I know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

The rental income is combined with your earnings and taxed as a whole.

Only thing is that you can set the costs you have in renting, against the income you have.

One word of advice, have a lease agreement in place before incurring costs like additional furnishings, etc. Costs in getting a place ready for a first letting are not able to set off against income for tax purposes if I recall correctly.

Advertisement