Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American accents

• 29-01-2012 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Why are most young Irish people now talking with American accents esp in Dublin?Ive noticed it a lot recently and think its ridiculous!Surely its been put on??Same as the made up d4 accent what is that all about?Nobody spoke like that 20 years ago?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Dora the Explorer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

risteard7 wrote: »
    Why are most young Irish people now talking with American accents esp in Dublin?Ive noticed it a lot recently and think its ridiculous!Surely its been put on??Same as the made up d4 accent what is that all about?Nobody spoke like that 20 years ago?:confused:
    Why do you not use the spacebar after a sentence?

Probably force of habit trying to save characters when texting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Could it be any more ridiculous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Small packets of peanuts on airplanes... etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Because they are West Brit idiots who aspire to the glamour of American culture, a concept that is false, and which they know little about.

Sindri wrote: »
    Because they are West Brit idiots who aspire to the glamour of American culture, a concept that is false, and which they know little about.

.......in your opinion. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Did you ever zip up something really quickly, and it makes a sound that seems to go up a couple of notes towards the end?

That's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Is it not just from listening to it on TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Don't worry about it ? When you hear German accents then you should be concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Why would West Brits put on an American accent, may I ask?

They follow American pop culture, and as teenagers, they aspire to be like their heroes.

mattjack wrote: »
    Don't worry about it ? When you German accents then you should be concerned.

You accidentally a word there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Why do you care what kids talk like?

Superbus wrote: »
    Why would West Brits put on an American accent, may I ask?

West Brits is a relevant term, I didn't think people would understand shoneen, and it's a bit like D4. It just means they take their cultural lead from somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

chin_grin wrote: »
    You accidentally a word there.

Much obliged.:D

Why do you care what kids talk like?
    i didnt say kids? I said young people i think its worse with people in their 20s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

If you think they're bad try the numerous other nations worldwide that sound truly american once they try their hand at English. Media saturation on a global scale from one country in particular was always a danger, but if they're only succumbing to it via that way now if at all then I do yearn for the time when evolution peaked again.. bn a hella come down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

West Brits is a relevant term, I didn't think people would understand shoneen, and it's a bit like D4. It just means they take their cultural lead from somewhere else.

Nope, I'm not going to let you away with that explanation. I'm pretty sure it means they take their cultural lead from Britain. Hence the term.

Maybe we could introduce a new term - East Americans. Though it doesn't have the same disdainful ring to it, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I find it annoying too, but I wouldn't say that most Irish young people talk like that. Many of them frown upon it in my experience.

For some reason lads seem to be less prone to it than girls but that's not to say I haven't heard lads use it.

for the record what other regions here, Limerick aside have adopted the truly cringeworthy 'mommy'?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

It's taken you 15 years to notice this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

OMG! Mine sounds that way because I used to live there. Totally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

i didnt say kids? I said young people i think its worse with people in their 20s
    people in their 20's are still kids tbh.

Superbus wrote: »
    Nope, I'm not going to let you away with that explanation. I'm pretty sure it means they take their cultural lead from Britain. Hence the term.

Maybe we could introduce a new term - East Americans. Though it doesn't have the same disdainful ring to it, unfortunately.

I don't particularly care what you'll let me away with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Domo230 wrote: »
    Why do people from the countryside talk in culchie accent.

The thing is, culchie accents are the genuine accents from the various regions where they're heard. But American accents have no place anywhere in the world, only America. Its ridiculous. Imagine if everyone over 60 in Phibsboro started talking with Latvian accents just to seem socially aloof. Thats how ridiculous it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Why are most young Irish people now talking with American accents esp in Dublin?

Eh, they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

This old chestnut again.

newmug wrote: »
    The thing is, culchie accents are the genuine accents from the various regions where they're heard. But American accents have no place anywhere in the world, only America. Its ridiculous. Imagine if everyone over 60 in Phibsboro started talking with Latvian accents just to seem socially aloof. Thats how ridiculous it is.

I have a terrible culchie accent and I've gotten slagged for it. Whenever I'm in Dublin, someone, usually from the south side remarks that I am a culchie with no apparent worry that I can hear them or that it is kind of offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Not from Dublin are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Domo230 wrote: »
    Why do people from the countryside talk in culchie accent.

Because they're from the countryside. People not from America talking in an American accent makes less sense.

As an aside, does anyone else hate the term "culchie accent"? It makes no sense; there can't be any one "culchie accent", as "culchies" encompass a wide range of people from vastly different regions and dialects. For instance a Cork accent is way different to a Wexford accent, a Donegal accent is way different to a Mayo accent, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Accents change. Language changes. People change. Cultures change.

I'm more disturbed by people who try to freeze-frame everything i.e. staunch conservatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Niles wrote: »
    Because they're from the countryside. People not from America talking in an American accent makes less sense.

As an aside, does anyone else hate the term "culchie accent"? It makes no sense; there can't be any one "culchie accent", as "culchies" encompass a wide range of people from vastly different regions and dialects. For instance a Cork accent is way different to a Wexford accent, a Donegal accent is way different to a Mayo accent, etc...

Other culchies will agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

It's Ross O'Carroll-Kelly's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Cause it's awesome man. Stop hitting out at us mannn, we got feelings too yo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I speak with an American accent, always have. not really sure why, my brothers don't and neither do my parents. Too much TV maybe.

And not one of those fake D4 weird accents, I've actually had people ask me what part of America I'm from.

It's the culture they grow up in and what they aspire to, something to do with being middle class. All pop culture and all the trends are from America and they take their lead from it. It's sad talking to some of them, like talking to Americans or British middle class teenagers. Their attitudes and beliefs are different. Hardly Irish any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Get them angry enough to shout and watch their real accent come out.

• Advertisement

People ask me WTF where the **** my accents from, Glasgow / Liverpool / north Ireland / dublin .. I like to think mostly the latter, cos it is. my council housed friend's tightknit family of staunch republicans just dismiss it as 'english'. Then they have a session

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I hate to hear an Irish persontalking with a yankaccent if I hear some moron dj on the radio with his fake yank twang I change channels

Abi wrote: »
    This old chestnut again.
    Boards.ie was started about 12 years ago so im sure most threads have been done a good few times since then? Except for breaking news items.
    Silly statement really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

phasers wrote: »
    I speak with an American accent, always have. not really sure why, my brothers don't and neither do my parents. Too much TV maybe.

And not one of those fake D4 weird accents, I've actually had people ask me what part of America I'm from.

Why dont you make an effort to normalise it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Boards.ie was started about 12 years ago so im sure most threads have been done a good few times since then? Except for breaking news items.
    Silly statement really

Boards.ie also have a search function. Not so silly now, eh?

Abi wrote: »
    Boards.ie also have a search function. Not so silly now, eh?
    Ok so no more threads started unless its breaking news. Im sure boards would get boring then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Ok so no more threads started unless its breaking news. Im sure boards would get boring then

People do come up with new ideas, new twists on old subjects, or raise old subjects in response to new information, new, surveys etc. Your thread fits none of those and "I have a prejudice about x accent" has been done many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Get them angry enough to shout and watch their real accent come out.

:D..funny yet so true

People do come up with new ideas, new twists on old subjects, or raise old subjects in response to new information, new, surveys etc. Your thread fits none of those and "I have a prejudice about x accent" has been done many times.
    Ok so the best thing for you and Abi is not click on these overdone threads then it wont annoy you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Too much of The Hills, Laguna Beach and that kind of rubbish. Sit them down to some good old Jerry Springer. Then lets hear them talk like Yanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement