Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American accents

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

risteard7 wrote: »
    Ok so the best thing for you and Abi is not click on these overdone threads then it wont annoy you

You still have to click in to see if there's anything new, but thanks for the advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Sindri wrote: »
    Because they are West Brit idiots who aspire to the glamour of American culture, a concept that is false, and which they know little about.

The west Brit thing obfuscates your point a bit but I agree that American culture is glamourised in a lot of the media which the people in question consume. I also agree that American culture, or at least that aspect of it which this media portrays, is far from glamourous. The culture of the youth in continental Europe is much more appealing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

Does notion of literary language exist in Ireland? Asking seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Niles wrote: »
    As an aside, does anyone else hate the term "culchie accent"? It makes no sense; there can't be any one "culchie accent", as "culchies" encompass a wide range of people from vastly different regions and dialects. For instance a Cork accent is way different to a Wexford accent, a Donegal accent is way different to a Mayo accent, etc...

But you're ok with the term "American accent"? Do you think someone from Alabama has the same accent as a New Yorker, for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Conchir wrote: »
    But you're ok with the term "American accent"? Do you think someone from Alabama has the same accent as a New Yorker, for example?

Sheeeeeyat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

pow wow wrote: »
    Totally.

Goddddddd get with the times lyke O-M-G, its not totally, it's totes.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

God Damn it butt head, this is the 51st state.
    Get with the program fratt boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So many accents to choose from. American is such a vague term. Just like Irish accent is kind of a vague term.

People that sound like they still live on a cotton plantation, bug the **** out of me.

People that try to sound gansta "You Brah. Brah. You mad Brah? What's up Dawhg? Yo." Bug the **** out of me.

People that sound like Boomhauer? I find them adorable.

People from New York that are overzealous douchebags about their Italian ancestry, bug the **** out of me.

The list rolls on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

America has kids that think theyre japanese. Not just the irish with these issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

RichieC wrote: »
    America has kids that think theyre japanese. Not just the irish with these issues.

That's racist, just because they have squinty eyes, that doesn't make them Japanese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RichieC wrote: »
    I wont lie I've been known to demand Staples at my job in a japanese accent before. Shtapuls! I need Shtapuuls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Because they have no sense of cultural identity to begin with along with the glamourised american culture we can't but see every day. Tv3 however is more brit influenced but thats recent however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Draaaaawls, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Conchir wrote: »

That's an interesting point. It's a very specific accent that people seem to be putting on - it might be more interesting if they did diversify in their accent usage. You don't hear many Irish people talking in a Texan accent for example.

However, it should be easier for Dublin folk to work out what accent the "culchie" is using than for an Irish person to work out what particular part of the US a particular accent comes from.
    Overheal wrote: »
    People that try to sound gansta "You Brah. Brah. You mad Brah? What's up Dawhg? Yo." Bug the **** out of me.

Personally when it comes to gangster speak I prefer doing it 40s style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

newmug wrote: »
    But American accents have no place anywhere in the world, only America.

So by place in the world, it's America ..?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Maybe they do it to divorce themselves from the type of people who hate it.

The type who want to 'celebrate Irish culture' as if it exists, the 'Little Islanders'.

Of course the American accent influences them what do you expect...Irish culture is just generic....

Do you drink Coca Cola??? Do you ever eat Cadbury's? Or Mars?

These things are British or American. And accents are influenced by what you hear everyday.

The more older people hate it...the more they want to annoy you.

Where does 'YEAH' or 'OK' come from??

That is American slang...Irish people or British people never said it until 'the talkie' film came about.

Thing of all the Americanisms YOU use everyday.

I suppose it would have sounded pretentious to people then too.

Canadian French is influenced by Parisian French.

There is a transatlantic linguistic drift...... and with the power of American culture it is there.

Unless we just all become one big country called Europe.

Otherwise we would just be this tiny narrow minded island full of old grouchy people who give out about accents all the time....

Advertisement