Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering from the dell website

Options
  • 29-01-2012 8:19pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this right place to post this but maybe some1 here will know anyway.
    So I'm planning to order something off the dell website in the few days but I notice if I go through the "employee's and students" section I'll get it for that bit cheaper.
    So me being a student does anyone know do I need to sign up for anything beforehand to avail of the student offer? provide some sort of proof or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Never, ever, buy anything from Dell's website. Always call. You can haggle, and probably get a decent discount too*. It depends what you're trying to order - it usually works best with systems, but it can be applied to most things.

As regards your actual question, I've no idea, sorry.

* I remember calling about an Alienware laptop. Specced it out with your man, came to €2,650, and straight off, without any prompting, he offered €2,250. I then got him down to €2,050. Didn't end up going for it, but just an example of what can be had.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Serephucus wrote: »
    Never, ever, buy anything from Dell's website. Always call. You can haggle, and probably get a decent discount too*. It depends what you're trying to order - it usually works best with systems, but it can be applied to most things.

As regards your actual question, I've no idea, sorry.

* I remember calling about an Alienware laptop. Specced it out with your man, came to €2,650, and straight off, without any prompting, he offered €2,250. I then got him down to €2,050. Didn't end up going for it, but just an example of what can be had.

Kool I'll call under the pretense of enquiring about the discount and see if I can get anything off

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Can you tell us how you get on with that?

I newer knew you can haggle with big companies like dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'd be reluctant to buy on the phone as I'd be thinking that they'd swindle in cheaper parts while having it in writing in front of you, it's clear what you are getting. Then again, that's good savings with the laptop.

I've found in the past that you can often get the same product quoted at about three different prices on their website by following different path links. It's worth checking out the dell deals and coupons thread in the bargain alerts forum as there's usually 5 or 10% off most stuff nearly all the time if you ask for it, with better deals on occasion.

If it's peripherals like monitors that you're after, you can usually find them cheaper elsewhere.
    If it's a desktop PC, build your own.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Ya its laptop I'm looking at and ya your right I have found about 3 different prices for it following different links on the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Monotype wrote: »
    I'd be reluctant to buy on the phone as I'd be thinking that they'd swindle in cheaper parts while having it in writing in front of you, it's clear what you are getting.

Easiest solution there is simply to have them email you a quote, which you can then call up and reference to someone else. They also (IIRC) send you a link to your spec which you can buy online. It's not like it some back-alley transaction; you get sent a full spec list with your order as normal, if the parts aren't what you paid, you call up and complain as always.

A further way to save money is to call after you've placed your order and say you need it for X, or by Y date, and usually they'll give you next-day shipping for free.

A further money saving thing is to call saying you're thinking of returning the laptop, that you're not very happy with it (did this with a Vostro a couple of years back that was quite underwhelming performance-wise) and a lot of the time they'll refund you money to get you to keep it.

(Yes, I have got this down to a science. :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Never, ever, buy anything from Dell
    I agree wholeheartedly. I think Dell as a company have gone to the dogs of late. They're easy and convenient but do some shopping around outside the Dell website to put their stuff into perspective, I'd also look at the business PCs as they're not a full of junk software as the consumer end stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

A further money saving thing is to call saying you're thinking of returning the laptop, that you're not very happy with it (did this with a Vostro a couple of years back that was quite underwhelming performance-wise) and a lot of the time they'll refund you money to get you to keep it.

You scab! :eek: :pac:

If they used all this spare money floating around, they could offer cheaper products to start with instead of building an atmosphere of mistrust!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Easiest solution there is simply to have them email you a quote, which you can then call up and reference to someone else. They also (IIRC) send you a link to your spec which you can buy online. It's not like it some back-alley transaction; you get sent a full spec list with your order as normal, if the parts aren't what you paid, you call up and complain as always.

A further way to save money is to call after you've placed your order and say you need it for X, or by Y date, and usually they'll give you next-day shipping for free.

(Yes, I have got this down to a science. :P)

what a sneaky bastard! :D when i grow up i want to be just like you ! :D

Advertisement