Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does "randomly selected" mean with regards to a tax refund application?

Options
  • 29-01-2012 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,

I'd like a little clarification on something please. I made an application via www.rentrelief.ie for rent I'd paid 3 years ago. The whole process seems to be taking a while (I applied in November), so when I queried this with them, they informed me :

"It means that the submission was randomly selected for further inspection. This is a random process and unfortunately can happen to anyone."

Now,
    I'm a bit concerned as to what this might mean. I'm very new to all of this, and although it may sound silly to some people, my father committed suicide 6 years ago due to financial/revenue/bankruptcy issues, so this is probably making me more anxious than it ought to!

What does this specifically mean? Will the revenue be looking for further information/tax records from me, or will it simply mean my claim for rent allowance will be turned down? Just a little clarification please as to what further checking would mean - thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭relax carry on

aywkubttod wrote: »
    Hello,

I'd like a little clarification on something please. I made an application via www.rentrelief.ie for rent I'd paid 3 years ago. The whole process seems to be taking a while (I applied in November), so when I queried this with them, they informed me :

"It means that the submission was randomly selected for further inspection. This is a random process and unfortunately can happen to anyone."

Now,
    I'm a bit concerned as to what this might mean. I'm very new to all of this, and although it may sound silly to some people, my father committed suicide 6 years ago due to financial/revenue/bankruptcy issues, so this is probably making me more anxious than it ought to!

What does this specifically mean? Will the revenue be looking for further information/tax records from me, or will it simply mean my claim for rent allowance will be turned down? Just a little clarification please as to what further checking would mean - thanks so much!

A certain percentage of all claims are subject to higher level checking. This can mean proof of the claim being requested from the claimant, receipts etc. It can also mean that a Revenue official just needs to look at the claim without any further involvement from you.
    All it is, is a security process, as most everything can be claimed online now by any normal PAYE worker without resorting to an accountant or third party company. It's just to prove that there isn't a lot of fraudulent/incorrect claims being submitted. The same process is applied to paper based claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aywkubttod

A certain percentage of all claims are subject to higher level checking. This can mean proof of the claim being requested from the claimant, receipts etc. It can also mean that a Revenue official just needs to look at the claim without any further involvement from you.
    All it is, is a security process, as most everything can be claimed online now by any normal PAYE worker without resorting to an accountant or third party company. It's just to prove that there isn't a lot of fraudulent/incorrect claims being submitted. The same process is applied to paper based claims.

Well that sounds like a relief! :) I've my old rent books as proof, etc...
    I think I tend to panic over anything official like this, as I don't keep stuff like bank statements or whatever. So it's likely that any further checking will be in relation to the rent relief claim, rather than a massive audit or review of my life history..?
    How paranoid do I sound! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

I was randomly checked also in relation to a claim for tax relief. I was asked to submit documents to support my claim. Did that. No problem. Sorted.

Advertisement