Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi Pack Pub Rip Off

Options
  • 29-01-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Last night I headed out for a few pints with my mates, something I've been looking forward to for a while, was my first bit of spare cash and free night in months and I was hoping for a good old time.
    Anyway, got the the pub (wont mention the name) and ordered a pint of Bulmers. The barman went off came back with a pint in a glass, handed it to me and said "4.80". Been a while since I was out but it was 4.25 last time I was in, but its recession and prices went up (figure that one out) so I handed it over.
    Next time I went in I asked for the same again, this time when he came back he had a can stuffed in a glass with some ice and asked me the same again. Grand so, went out, went to pour and found the can had a red ring around the top saying "not to be sold separately". He had gotten me a can from a multipack out the front in the off license. So next time I went in I asked what the deal was. He said nothing, I then asked could I go out to the off license, buy the cans and bring them in since thats what he was doing, he said "No, and if you do we'll throw you out."
    I'm pretty sure their not allowed do this, sell single cans, for full price. I could have bought a 8pack for 12euro in the offy, yet he was charging me 4.80 a pint! A CAN!
    Who would one report this to? I dont mind paying for my drinks in a pub, and I have no issue with the price because it a rare occasion I go out and have a few drinks and my local (not where I went last night) are now charging less then they used to for a pint, a pint pulled from the taps! If he was charging less a pint, maybe a euro more a can then I'd be fine but hes upped his price and is giving out multipack cans that arent even kept in cold storage.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If you asked for a pint 568ml, and we're sold a can 500ml and still charged for a pint, he broke the law.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They can sell cans at whatever price they want, if you don't like it, don't pay it.

You can report the selling of multipack items individually to the manufacturer (C&C) but in all honesty, why do you care? For starters, the quality of the drink isn't any different if it's from a multipack. And if they didn't use cans and sold pint bottles you could damn sure you'd be paying more than €5 for it and there'd be no noticeable taste difference.

Comparing the price in the off license isn't right either as you really don't know how much it costs to the run the pub when you factor in wages, electric, glassware, water, taxes etc. You wouldn't compare the price of a steak from Tesco with the price of a steak from a restaurant.

And lastly, complaining here is kind of pointless, you should speak with the manager or vote with your feet and go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I don't understand why he gave you a can from the off licence when you ordered a pint?

I don't understand why he was selling you cans to drink in the pub in the first place?

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I don't understand why he gave you a can from the off licence when you ordered a pint?

I don't understand why he was selling you cans to drink in the pub in the first place?

Higher profit margin I'm guessing. Or he may have just run out of draught/bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Yes if i went to my local and asked for a pint of bud, and he went and got me a can and poured it in a pint glass id wrap it around his neck.
    so why has he done this in the first place did you asked him for a pint?

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    Higher profit margin I'm guessing. Or he may have just run out of draught/bottles.

Its strange for a pub to be selling cans for drinking in the pub, theres no way they ran out of both bottles and draught and if that was the case he would have explained that to the OP and offered the can instead.

I'd love to know where the first pint came from. God knows where he got that.

He didn't deal with the "ill just get cans from the offo" comment to well either lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I often seen this happen, and don't really mind cos the pint bottles are usually more expensive to buy at the bar anyway.

What makes me laugh about it is the people who think their hangover are worse/the bulmers different etc because they were drinking cider from cans as opposed to draught/pint bottles and vice versa. Maybe I am wrong but is it not all the bulmers in different packaging

Cans and bottles are the same once poured into a glass but in my experience draught tends to be poorer quality unless the pub is constantly selling it. Place I work in Donegal would go through 1 keg a month so you'd never know how long it'd be lying there and the end result would often be a flat pint unless a good bit was run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There are probably licensing issues with you buying cans in the offie and consuming them in the pub. (perhaps someone else can confirm).

In short, the landlord can sell alcohol from whatever source he pleases. Those "Not for individual resale" signs are printed by the manufacturer, and have no legal basis. The only thing you can do here is complain to C&C about this incident. Personally, I wouldn't take any offence at this.

What I would object to is paying for 568ml and receiving 500ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

go back in during the day and ask for a manager/ owner and see what they have to say about it. if you're not happy with what they say then name and shame them. there are plenty of pubs out there that believe in providing good service so give them your hard earned money.

also i wouldn't accept a drink that i didn't see being poured or one with the mixer added already...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't understand why more pubs don't sell cans. Its really odd, and many people have a bizarre hangup about even the thought of cans in pubs, yet have no problem at all drinking cans at home, or at a BBQ etc.
    Birdie086 wrote: »
    What makes me laugh about it is the people who think their hangover are worse/the bulmers different etc because they were drinking cider from cans as opposed to draught/pint bottles and vice versa.
    Usually the kegged drinks are less processed, less additives or less heat treatment as they are usually sold quicker after kegging than cans. Also heineken in kegs is completely different as it is Irish brewed stuff, years ago you could get cans of heineken brewed here, but the bottles and cans are from holland now. Most of it is down to mythology though, its mad the stuff people blame hangovers on, and swear off beers without realising all the other factors in a hangover, esp. lack of food.

I don't see why you would not mention the pub, you are just telling people what they did.

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't understand why more pubs don't sell cans. Its really odd, and many people have a bizarre hangup about even the thought of cans in pubs, yet have no problem at all drinking cans at home, or at a BBQ etc.

Cans are a better value alternative to bottles, and are purchased from off licences for that reason. I personally would prefer a bottle to a can, I think most people would agree.

When I'm in a pub I'll always get draught unless the quality is very poor or theres a bottled product that I want and its not available on draught. Cans could be very popular and a great addition to a night club and are already sold in on campus student bars but I can't see any reason for the regular pub to stock cans of bud or heino. Its not like they would be available any cheaper then the draught equivalent. They'd be better off using that shelve space for some craft beer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

I dont wanna mention the name of the pub because the owner is a vindictive prick who'd have me and anyone I know banned from the pub for mentioning it.
    He knows he's in the wrong but he'd throw you out for alot less if he took to not liking you.
    Yeah also you guys make a good point, we're not getting the full amount of what we pay for and its usually flat because its kept in the offy out the front in direct sunlight half the time, no refrigeration.

They can sell cans at whatever price they want, if you don't like it, don't pay it.

You can report the selling of multipack items individually to the manufacturer (C&C) but in all honesty, why do you care? For starters, the quality of the drink isn't any different if it's from a multipack. And if they didn't use cans and sold pint bottles you could damn sure you'd be paying more than €5 for it and there'd be no noticeable taste difference.

Comparing the price in the off license isn't right either as you really don't know how much it costs to the run the pub when you factor in wages, electric, glassware, water, taxes etc. You wouldn't compare the price of a steak from Tesco with the price of a steak from a restaurant.

And lastly, complaining here is kind of pointless, you should speak with the manager or vote with your feet and go somewhere else.

Well you misunderstand my point.
    1. I'm not complaining, I'm simply asking for information on this. I know what he's doing isnt right, so I'm asking peoples opinions.
    2. He isnt allowed sell cans from multipacks as single pints for the price of a pint.
    3. If a shop was selling cans from a multipack singularly they'd get in trouble for it.
    4. The price comparison is valid because hes walking 12 foot from the pub into the off license picking up the can and bringing it in, yet i cant do the same because he'd turf me out on my arse if i were to bring in cans, like he's doing.

Also since when cant people air their grievances on boards? And the manager is the one doing this, hes the pub owner.
    He's been doing this for a long time. And one other thing, draft tastes different then a canned pint. And since the cans are not kept in a fridge they were flat and tasteless. Also I did leave after that, but the issue is thats my second local (like I said when I'm out its where we go).
    Hes not meant to be doing it and I do factor in the price of running the business but again, what hes done, is wrong.

dudara wrote: »
    There are probably licensing issues with you buying cans in the offie and consuming them in the pub. (perhaps someone else can confirm).

In short, the landlord can sell alcohol from whatever source he pleases. Those "Not for individual resale" signs are printed by the manufacturer, and have no legal basis. The only thing you can do here is complain to C&C about this incident. Personally, I wouldn't take any offence at this.

What I would object to is paying for 568ml and receiving 500ml.

Hes even upped the price thats what i care about, paying more for less. The pub and offy are all one, its barely 12 foot from the register in the pub to the register in the off license. He hasnt had kegs of anything in a long time, he's just constantly reselling cans. I think he keeps Guinness on draft at the minute but thats it. He got new Coolers taps put in and they havent been used once in 8 months.

OP just drink in a different pub, surely thats the worst in the vicinity

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Does he issue receipts? Or is he selling it as a can and screwing the tax man and us.

ted1 wrote: »
    Does he issue receipts? Or is he selling it as a can and screwing the tax man and us.

Nope your lucky if you get your change back off this man, let alone a receipt.

Problem is the other pubs are also clubs and i dont wanna have to wear shoes to go into have a couple pints. Its one of the last pubs left in the area that hasnt a dress code now. The rest all have some sort of dance floor or club thing in them, and all i want is a quiet pint and a chat!

Oh also when he puts it into the machine you can see its not coming up as a draft pint ... maybe?

Edg3 wrote: »

Problem is the other pubs are also clubs and i dont wanna have to wear shoes to go into have a couple pints. Its one of the last pubs left in the area that hasnt a dress code now. The rest all have some sort of dance floor or club thing in them, and all i want is a quiet pint and a chat!

So just socks and sandels then? ;)

Ive come across this kind of publican before, the "if they dont like the way I conduct my business they can **** off" type. Id love to know what town has a number of clubs blaring music 7 nights a week and only one normal pub? If you dont like the pub and really dont like the owner stop giving him your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

i dont wanna have to wear shoes to go into have a couple pints.

There's nothing quite like a barefoot pint!;)

• Advertisement

Ah i've tried but my white socks keep getting all dirty!

I've tried the other pubs before but their all to noisy. Now I see why this one is always so quiet!
    Its been my hangout with my mates for over 10 years now, so its kinda hard to give up going to it. But I'm getting fairly sick of paying more then I should be. I could have gotten 8 cans in the off license for what I paid for 4 and drank them in his house, but its not the same. And I wanna do my bit for the small business, but hes not making it easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Last night I headed out for a few pints with my mates, something I've been looking forward to for a while, was my first bit of spare cash and free night in months and I was hoping for a good old time.
    Anyway, got the the pub (wont mention the name) and ordered a pint of Bulmers. The barman went off came back with a pint in a glass, handed it to me and said "4.80". Been a while since I was out but it was 4.25 last time I was in, but its recession and prices went up (figure that one out) so I handed it over.
    Next time I went in I asked for the same again, this time when he came back he had a can stuffed in a glass with some ice and asked me the same again. Grand so, went out, went to pour and found the can had a red ring around the top saying "not to be sold separately". He had gotten me a can from a multipack out the front in the off license. So next time I went in I asked what the deal was. He said nothing, I then asked could I go out to the off license, buy the cans and bring them in since thats what he was doing, he said "No, and if you do we'll throw you out."
    I'm pretty sure their not allowed do this, sell single cans, for full price. I could have bought a 8pack for 12euro in the offy, yet he was charging me 4.80 a pint! A CAN!
    Who would one report this to? I dont mind paying for my drinks in a pub, and I have no issue with the price because it a rare occasion I go out and have a few drinks and my local (not where I went last night) are now charging less then they used to for a pint, a pint pulled from the taps! If he was charging less a pint, maybe a euro more a can then I'd be fine but hes upped his price and is giving out multipack cans that arent even kept in cold storage.

I dunno, total mystery :rolleyes:

I dunno, total mystery :rolleyes:

well i dont mean i said same again, i said, "another pint of bulmers please" :D

Cans are a better value alternative to bottles, and are purchased from off licences for that reason.
    And they would be purchased in pubs for the same reason.
    I personally would prefer a bottle to a can, I think most people would agree.
    I prefer bottles but am often not willing to pay the difference, this is why I reckon they appear to sell more cans in offies, and would sell more in pubs.
    Its not like they would be available any cheaper then the draught equivalent.
    Why not? my local eurospar stock 5% heineken from the scottish market alongside the 4.3% cans, the 5% is a good bit cheaper. Draught heineken is brewed here and many hate it as its so different in taste. Kegged beer costs a lot here, I would expect it is often available cheaper in cans than kegs. AFAIK there is also nothing to stop them selling cans/bottles of lidl brand beers in pubs. Publicans have posted in a few threads and they are paying well over the odds for bottles from distributors -this is why they wrongly believe all these supermarkets are selling lots of beers below cost -its a bit worrying that they are this ignorant.

I would gladly drink lidl bottles of perlenbacher before any of the draught beers available in my 3-4 nearest pubs to me.

I was in a pub a year ago who had no draught at all by the way, just cans, no bottles.
    2. He isnt allowed sell cans from multipacks as single pints for the price of a pint.
    He can, but if you ask for a pint he should have said he has no pints and ask if a 500ml can will do. The only thing he legally did wrong was serve 500ml instead of the pint.
    3. If a shop was selling cans from a multipack singularly they'd get in trouble for it.
    A particular seller might refuse to serve them, but thats the only "trouble", the distributors he could continue to buy off are probably cheaper anyway.
    4. The price comparison is valid because hes walking 12 foot from the pub into the off license picking up the can and bringing it in, yet i cant do the same because he'd turf me out on my arse if i were to bring in cans, like he's doing.
    That is like asking to buy a bag of chips in a chipper with a cafe attached and expecting to be let in next door and eat them sitting at a table. On his side it is similar to serving people in the cafe with brown bags of chips rather than plates.
    Also since when cant people air their grievances on boards?
    They can, but since when can people not explain why it is happening. If you just want an unchallenged rant there is a ranting & raving forum where people are banned if they give a reasonable reply to your complaint.

Thanks for covering all my questions :) i wasnt sure about the laws when it came to multipacks in pubs and resale, now i am. The pint thing was the main issue here. So hes not even selling me a full pint.
    They can, but since when can people not explain why it is happening. If you just want an unchallenged rant there is a ranting & raving forum where people are banned if they give a reasonable reply to your complaint.

I was only pointing out that someone who misread or didnt fully read a comment had a go at me because they thought i was complaining when i was only asking a question after telling a story. I wasnt ranting & raving about it, only telling the story and seeing what i could do about it. I was basically told to not complain and go someplace else, when my original question was, could i do anything about it.

This comment. I wasnt complaining at the start but asking a question and airing a grievance.

You covered all my main questions there and now i know. I was sure he couldnt resale multipack cans individually, i figured that only because of the red band saying "not for individual resale".

And they would be purchased in pubs for the same reason.

I prefer bottles but am often not willing to pay the difference, this is why I reckon they appear to sell more cans in offies, and would sell more in pubs.

Why not? my local eurospar stock 5% heineken from the scottish market alongside the 4.3% cans, the 5% is a good bit cheaper. Draught heineken is brewed here and many hate it as its so different in taste. Kegged beer costs a lot here, I would expect it is often available cheaper in cans than kegs. AFAIK there is also nothing to stop them selling cans/bottles of lidl brand beers in pubs. Publicans have posted in a few threads and they are paying well over the odds for bottles from distributors -this is why they wrongly believe all these supermarkets are selling lots of beers below cost -its a bit worrying that they are this ignorant.

I would gladly drink lidl bottles of perlenbacher before any of the draught beers available in my 3-4 nearest pubs to me.

I was in a pub a year ago who had no draught at all by the way, just cans, no bottles.

How much cheaper do you expect the cans to be? There is noway a pub would get in cans of Heineken and offer them for any more then 40-50c cheaper. If they where cheaper at all. If a pint is €4.50 and a can €4 what are you going to buy?

I've never come across anyone hating draught Heineken but tucking into bottles because of taste, unless they are suspicious of draught beer in general (which the odd person is).

Does your eurospar have seperate tags and completely seperate prices for 4.3% and 5% Heino?

I hate Heineken in general but thats a personal preference :)

You can buy multipacks of bulmers i think in tesco at the minute, 6 or 8 cans for 12euro (i think) that makes them 2 euro a can (ish) was a few weeks ago i seen it so its not the freshest in my mind.

To be honest there is a huge taste difference in most drinks in different countries. I've had bulmers in 4 different countries, from draft, cans and bottles and none taste the same. Its alot sweeter in england and the north (magners) and its more appley (yes its a word) in the Czech republic. But thats just my experience. I spend more and more time in Germany so I've become a beer drinker because getting decent cider is pretty tough over there.
    The main thing is this is the only pub I get server a can in when I ask for a pint. Usually they either have it on draft or if they dont have draft they'll offer me a bottle or a can, and price it different. Not that i go drinking alot but again, just from my experience. I dunno if its right or wrong how their doing it, i know their suffering due to the likes of tesco undercutting prices because their buying and selling massive amounts so they can sell it cheaper, but I just feel ripped off when i get a can, for the price of a pint and I'm not getting what I originally asked for.

patwicklow wrote: »
    Yes if i went to my local and asked for a pint of bud, and he went and got me a can and poured it in a pint glass id wrap it around his neck.
    so why has he done this in the first place did you asked him for a pint?

just now seen this comment, genius :D thats plan B :D

How much cheaper do you expect the cans to be?
    this old thread had some costs from the sunday business post
    Geuze wrote: »
    Price of 50L keg of Guinness, according to the SBP article is 131.66. This includes duty of 32.99. Of course, this is an ex-VAT price.
    So with VAT @ 23% it is €162 for 50L which is 100cans, €1.62 per 500ml can with VAT but there is obviously going to be wastage on a keg. Guinness is typically one of the cheapest mainstream pints bar beamish & the newbie tuborg/fosters/tennants/bavaria pints. I am certain heineken costs more than guinness per keg, if you look at any keg supplier online to homes this is the case.

Cans of heineken are often around the €1 mark these days, so I expect a publican could easily source for lower than €1. In my local tuborg is €3.60 and I think heineken is €4.65, so about €1 difference while a can can be bought for that price! -something doesn't add up...
    If a pint is €4.50 and a can €4 what are you going to buy?
    Probably the can TBH, it may depend on the particular drink (e.g. stout) but I have no problem with cans or bottles. Some lad & his mates did blind tasting between cans & bottles in some other thread and it was split pretty even as to which was better.
    I've never come across anyone hating draught Heineken but tucking into bottles because of taste?
    I know a few who do, I would have it the odd time myself and can taste the difference, I have no real preference though.
    Does your eurospar have seperate tags and completely seperate prices for 4.3% and 5% Heino?
    Yes, clearly marked out, the barcodes would be different for scanning too. I expect any reps coming in would be raging. And its not like they can say it is some inferior import, both are brewed in amsterdam. It really does expose the fact that people should not jump and accuse the end seller of being the ripoff merchant, it is often the manufacturer of goods changing prices in different regions.

• Advertisement

It really does expose the fact that people should not jump and accuse the end seller of being the ripoff merchant, it is often the manufacturer of goods changing prices in different regions.

I'd change the name of the topic if i could.
    What gets me is he used to sell bottles when he had no draft, that was fine with me. But now he doesnt even stock draft or bottles. Only cans.
    I see you make a really good point, both ways, about the restaurant and chipper. I dont expect to get a can from the off license when I go into the pub, just as much as I dont expect my Chinese dinner in the restaurant to come in tin foil and a strippy plastic bag to my table.
    So we've established he can sell cans, but not as pints because their is less in them. But again, what can be done? If anything. I used to pay the same for a bottle as I did for draft, and I wouldnt be complaining if he showed up with a bottle. (bottles are nicer, i think the can taints the taste)

Advertisement