Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Bill Problem

Options
  • 29-01-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I posted the following to the Meteor forum online this evening:

" Hi, I signed up for the Billpay Smart Lite Eur 30 (Eur 15 online) after being a Meteor Pay As You Go for a few years now. I received a bill just last week of €112.29 for one month. I called to query this straightaway as I certainly didn't use my phone anywhere near enough to warrant this.

I was told that when signing up, whoever processed it didn't add on the free Meteor Calls and Texts, so therefore any and all calls and texts ate into the regular free minutes and texts, which is where the astronomical €112.29 came from. I didn't actually go over my allowances at all, and the bill should only have been the standard €15. I was told this would be refunded onto my account and more than likely stopped going from my account on Feb 1st when the payment falls due.

I checked my account online this evening out of curiosity and saw that I am still charged for Meteor calls and texts so I called Customer Care to query it. I asked Nick (customer care) if the refund was applied and what balance would be leaving my bank account on Feb 1st and he said the full €112.29, but the the €97 would stay on my account as credit for future balances. This in itself is an absolute disgrace. I applied to have €15 a month come out as that is what I can afford at the moment. Absolutely cannot have €97 more come out and stay on my bill as 'credit'. I am on a 30 day €15 a month contract for a reason.

I then questioned why the Meteor calls and texts were still being charged and he assured me that this had been corrected and even if it hadn't, I would be 'credited' when I received my next bill. An even bigger disgrace.

I will need to have that money refunded to my bank account right away and the bill corrected. It was an error in processing which caused this, and therefore a Meteor fault. "

Has anyone experienced this with Meteor and was it resolved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

JGEP wrote: »
    I posted the following to the Meteor forum online this evening:

" Hi, I signed up for the Billpay Smart Lite Eur 30 (Eur 15 online) after being a Meteor Pay As You Go for a few years now. I received a bill just last week of €112.29 for one month. I called to query this straightaway as I certainly didn't use my phone anywhere near enough to warrant this.

I was told that when signing up, whoever processed it didn't add on the free Meteor Calls and Texts, so therefore any and all calls and texts ate into the regular free minutes and texts, which is where the astronomical €112.29 came from. I didn't actually go over my allowances at all, and the bill should only have been the standard €15. I was told this would be refunded onto my account and more than likely stopped going from my account on Feb 1st when the payment falls due.

I checked my account online this evening out of curiosity and saw that I am still charged for Meteor calls and texts so I called Customer Care to query it. I asked Nick (customer care) if the refund was applied and what balance would be leaving my bank account on Feb 1st and he said the full €112.29, but the the €97 would stay on my account as credit for future balances. This in itself is an absolute disgrace. I applied to have €15 a month come out as that is what I can afford at the moment. Absolutely cannot have €97 more come out and stay on my bill as 'credit'. I am on a 30 day €15 a month contract for a reason.

I then questioned why the Meteor calls and texts were still being charged and he assured me that this had been corrected and even if it hadn't, I would be 'credited' when I received my next bill. An even bigger disgrace.

I will need to have that money refunded to my bank account right away and the bill corrected. It was an error in processing which caused this, and therefore a Meteor fault. "

Has anyone experienced this with Meteor and was it resolved?
    If there is a meteor direct debit set up on your bank account you should cancel it in the morning by going into your bank and telling them that you are in dispute with meteor over payment of this incorrect amount!

Your bank must not allow disputed or incorrect amounts to be taken from your account! Unfortunately if it is the very first debit from meteor(the initial payment) tha bank are unable to stop it but must refund you the amount as soon as you request it! They must refund your account within 24hours.

Then it is up to meteor to provide you with a correct invoice and you can set up a new direct debit for the payment whenever they get their sh1t together!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

People need to become far more assertive in respects of their rights under the direct debit system. Unfortunately your bank who has a big role to play in protecting your rights under the system are more than likely to be completely unaware of their responsibilities in this respect and of your rights - so before you visit your bank print off this page:

http://www.ipso.ie/section/section/YourRightsasaPayer

And in particular be aware of this:
    You are entitled to request a refund of any variable direct debit which exceeded the amount which you could reasonably have expected, subject to you so requesting your bank within a period of 8 weeks from the date of debiting such direct debit to your account; your bank is entitled to ask you to provide factual elements relating to your request for a refund

and this:
    You can request your bank to refuse a direct debit payment on your account up to close of business the day before the direct debit is due to be paid from your account

Companies have to be made realise that the existence of a direct debit mandate is not an entitlement to pillage a customers account as they wish.
    There is absolutely no entitlement to take an excess amount and credit it to your account. It is your money and your account and they are only entitled to access your account with the proper advance notice and take amounts that are in accordance with the dd scheme rules

Meteor by its participation in the scheme has agree to the following:
    Originators must put in place reliable systems and which will ensure:
    o the issuance of correct advance notification as appropriate of amounts to be debited
    o that Direct Debits as issued conform to Payer instructions and the Rules of the Scheme
    o that disputed amounts are not debited

My emphasis.

I am sure many people with bad experiences of the dd system will smile wryly when they read this and wonder when it will ever happen!

IRECC will seek to ensure that maintaining the integrity of and trust in the Direct Debit Scheme will bea foremost guiding principle in all deliberations in relation to the Scheme. In this regard, it is an intrinsic and fundamental element of the Scheme that each Payer will have an assurance that when he/she/it provides a Direct Debit Instruction, procedures are in place under or pursuant to the Scheme to protect his/her/its interest.

Just to clarify Dub45 as far as this
    You can request your bank to refuse a direct debit payment on your account up to close of business the day before the direct debit is due to be paid from your account
    the bank cant stop the very first payment of a direct debit as they have no record of the debit until it is presented for payment and is then listed as a direct debit on your account, but they should refund the payment within 24hours when instructed to do so!

Also one other thing is that companies are being accused of re-presenting cancelled DD's but I feel it is more likely that the company has got several DD's set up on the customers bank account!

Recently I checked my on-line banking and looked through the DD's and noticed there was 4 different debits for Meteor, each time you upgrade or change your price plan etc they get bank details to set up a new direct debit, I had given permission for this. I promptly cancelled all debits and have since set up a single new debit!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Just to clarify Dub45 as far as this
    the bank cant stop the very first payment of a direct debit as they have no record of the debit until it is presented for payment and is then listed as a direct debit on your account, but they should refund the payment within 24hours when instructed to do so!

Also one other thing is that companies are being accused of re-presenting cancelled DD's but I feel it is more likely that the company has got several DD's set up on the customers bank account!

Recently I checked my on-line banking and looked through the DD's and noticed there was 4 different debits for Meteor, each time you upgrade or change your price plan etc they get bank details to set up a new direct debit, I had given permission for this. I promptly cancelled all debits and have since set up a single new debit!

If it is clearly stated in your entitlements then it is up to the bank to make it happen - it is as simple as that.

The banks have no record of the awful dd+s simply because they do not hold the mandates.

The so called "ddplus" is a disastrous system which causes lots of confusion for the banks and if they cannot operated it then they should not participate in it.

It doesn't matter whether the companies have several dds set up on an account or not - they are still working off the same mandate. I think if you check your bank records you will find several dd details set up and when you check further you will find that this happens even if you don't change your mobile plan etc. It seems to be an administrative thing. Incidentally companies don't usually look for a new mandate each time the pricing changes.

I have confirmed with IPSo that there is no system in place to capture a cancelled dd when it is resubmitted. This is a disgrace as the banks are supposedly required by the dd scheme rules to have such systems in place.

When a bill payer cancels a dd they explicitly withdraw permission from the company concerned to access their account at any time again and also of course use the personal information provided. There should be zero tolerance of cancelled dd's being resubmitted and they should be automatically reported to the Gardai as attempted theft.

Just for the record:
    Paying Banks:
    o must adhere to the Rules of the Scheme
    o must put in place processes which will ensure that unauthorised, refused and/or cancelled
    Direct Debits are intercepted and returned immediately on presentation
    o must promptly present indemnity claims arising under or pursuant to the Scheme
    o must assist its customer, to the extent practicable, in the resolution of disputes arising under or
    pursuant to the Scheme
    o must inform the Sponsoring Bank if an Originator is not adhering to the Rules of the Scheme

The processes required in step 2 above are not in place -its a disgrace.

The ulster bank had no trouble catching and blocking a Bord Gais Debit they tried to submit after I had requested by phone and in writing that they cancel it!

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The ulster bank had no trouble catching and blocking a Bord Gais Debit they tried to submit after I had requested by phone and in writing that they cancel it!

It seems to be largely a matter of luck. There definitely are no automated procedures in place (I have am admittance of this in writing) and it depends on them catching it manually.

I was in Ulster Bank during the week complaining that they did not stop a dd from Meteor in December where I had not got the correct advance notice. I gave the branch a few days notice, I even received a phone call from the branch confirming it would be done and yet they paid it!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭JGEP

I just spoke to Ulster Bank Customer Care and they are putting a cancellation order against it, they cancel against reference numbers though, so if Meteor were to come in with another ref number, the funds would leave my account on the Wed and Ulster Bank would return them on the Thurs without Meteor having gotten a penny!

Thanks very much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Now to tackle Meteor…….

• Registered Users Posts: 28,226 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Get onto meteor as well though and tell them what your doing, tell them you've requested that this direct debit is blocked and can they re-issue you with a new bill and with the error's corrected and you will pay that straight away. I'd advise put it in writing, give them 24hrs and if no response follow up with a phone call.

Your going to run into a little problem though I think, bills usually run on a monthly cycle so it's take them a month to re-issue you a new bill. In the mean time they'll probably cut off your service for not paying the bill. You should clarify with them what will actually happen when you don't pay the bill. Are you going to be left without service until a new bill is generated.

If it was me i'd port my number away to another provider today so you don't get caught out.

Get onto meteor as well though and tell them what your doing, tell them you've requested that this direct debit is blocked and can they re-issue you with a new bill and with the error's corrected and you will pay that straight away. I'd advise put it in writing, give them 24hrs and if no response follow up with a phone call.

Your going to run into a little problem though I think, bills usually run on a monthly cycle so it's take them a month to re-issue you a new bill. In the mean time they'll probably cut off your service for not paying the bill. You should clarify with them what will actually happen when you don't pay the bill. Are you going to be left without service until a new bill is generated.

If it was me i'd port my number away to another provider today so you don't get caught out.

Are you seriously suggesting that the op break their contract?

dub45 wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that the op break their contract?

Well he's between a rock and a hard place. If I was stuck on the rock i'd rather have a functioning phone number, something he won't have if he cancels the DD. Either which way is a break of the contract.

• Advertisement

Well he's between a rock and a hard place. If I was stuck on the rock i'd rather have a functioning phone number, something he won't have if he cancels the DD. Either which way is a break of the contract.

Nonsense - not paying an inaccurate dd is not breaking a contract. In this case the op has notified meteor of their errors and they have refused to comply with their obligation under the dd scheme not to debit disputed amounts.

As I have pointed out before the existence of a dd mandate is not a license for companies to pillage their customers' accounts.

Meteor are in the wrong if they cut off the use of the phone due to their own mistakes/incompetence. And the OP will not be in breach of their contract in fact meteor are breaching the contract by overcharging and not rectifying immediately.

OP get in touch with meteor credit control, customer care wont want to put you through but be persistent, explain the situation to them and especially about you now cancelling the debit as you cant afford to pay for their mistake and tell them they will be in breach of your contract with them if they cut your service over the non-payment.

dub45 wrote: »
    a dd mandate is not a license for companies to pillage their customers' accounts.

And that's why he's correct to cancel the direct debit if he can't lump up the cash until he's refunded, he needs to have a plan in place if they restrict services. What do you advise after stopping the debit?

The way I see it he has 2 options after blocking the debit, (a)leave his number on the network and risk loosing it unless meteor agree not to cut services while his account is in collections and the new correct bill is generated.

Option (b) He's on a 30 day contract, with a €15 termination charge so it's not more expensive to leave than stay , he can always port back to the deal once the billing error is corrected and ask when doing so for a refund of the €15

Here's billing errors about said bargain, all posted in a row from the bargain alerts thread related to this deal.

29-12-2011, 12:17 #322
    Slunk

My meteor page says my bill is 47 euro. DD hasn't come out yet as the bill was dated 24th. Might be delayed but i won't be impressed if they take that amount. Better be a mistake

fulhamfan

I too signed up to 15 a month deal and duly got a bill for 30 + 7 for VAT. Less than pleased but some helpful folk on this forum suggested emailing stuff@meteor.ie and to them I say a huge thanks. All sorted with no hassle whatsoever and I have to say response time; nature of respond were excellent so while they seem to be an organizational disaster, their customer service via that email route is as good as I've seen with any of the phone companies. Here's hoping it's all plain sailing from here on in as it really is a great offer and will save me a bomb.. Happy new year one and all

trevortronics

I had been mis-billed too for this offer. Sorted in a matter of minutes by using the stuff@meteor.ie email address

TerrorFirmer

They took over €150 out of my account in August that they were not entitled to and I still haven't got it back do best of luck with that!
    I've had nothing but trouble with Meteor with day one. My first bill was supposed to be for 30 (plus whatever I had incurred through usage), it was DD and one day I saw that 120 had been taken. No idea how it even happened, given that I don't really ever make calls and never use data (and I had 200 minutes calls and 2gb data to cover even the odd time), took ages for it to get sorted as well. Recently got a bill for a similar amount, and again, no data used and maybe 30 minutes call time tops, not sure what the hell is causing it but it's happened a few times too often so I'm moving to another network.

And that's why he's correct to cancel the direct debit if he can't lump up the cash until he's refunded, he needs to have a plan in place if they restrict services. What do you advise after stopping the debit?

The way I see it he has 2 options after blocking the debit, (a)leave his number on the network and risk loosing it unless meteor agree not to cut services while his account is in collections and the new correct bill is generated.

Option (b) He's on a 30 day contract, with a €15 termination charge so it's not more expensive to leave than stay , he can always port back to the deal once the billing error is corrected and ask when doing so for a refund of the €15

Here's billing errors about said bargain, all posted in a row from the bargain alerts thread related to this deal.

29-12-2011, 12:17 #322
    Slunk

My meteor page says my bill is 47 euro. DD hasn't come out yet as the bill was dated 24th. Might be delayed but i won't be impressed if they take that amount. Better be a mistake

fulhamfan

I too signed up to 15 a month deal and duly got a bill for 30 + 7 for VAT. Less than pleased but some helpful folk on this forum suggested emailing stuff@meteor.ie and to them I say a huge thanks. All sorted with no hassle whatsoever and I have to say response time; nature of respond were excellent so while they seem to be an organizational disaster, their customer service via that email route is as good as I've seen with any of the phone companies. Here's hoping it's all plain sailing from here on in as it really is a great offer and will save me a bomb.. Happy new year one and all

trevortronics

I had been mis-billed too for this offer. Sorted in a matter of minutes by using the stuff@meteor.ie email address

TerrorFirmerN

They took over €150 out of my account in August that they were not entitled to and I still haven't got it back do best of luck with that!
    I've had nothing but trouble with Meteor with day one. My first bill was supposed to be for 30 (plus whatever I had incurred through usage), it was DD and one day I saw that 120 had been taken. No idea how it even happened, given that I don't really ever make calls and never use data (and I had 200 minutes calls and 2gb data to cover even the odd time), took ages for it to get sorted as well. Recently got a bill for a similar amount, and again, no data used and maybe 30 minutes call time tops, not sure what the hell is causing it but it's happened a few times too often so I'm moving to another network.

Lump up the cash? What planet are you on? Meteor are obliged to bill the correct amounts. They have absolutely no right to help themselves to an interest free loan from their customers. Meteor and other participating companies gain considerable advantage from participating in the dd scheme the least that we can expect from them is that they comply with the terms of the scheme.

I would recommend that the op pays the monthly amount that he is contracted for. He should email meteor for the record and tell them what he has done and why. Also contact them by phone if he can get through.

Most importantly I suggest that he contacts the dd manager at IPSO (www.ipso.ie) with a view to making a formal complaint about meteors behaviour and requests that IPSO ensure that he is not cut off.

The op could also point to the other cases that you have highlighted here as evidence of the way people are treated.

One of the huge problems with the dd system is that companies can behave as they wish with no fear of sanction with the consequences for customers that we see reported on boards.ie with monotonous regularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

of all the networks i have used, i found meteor to be awkward to deal with
    ie when you ring 1905 sometimes can take 20 mins to get an answer.

you cannot pay a bill online, the way they bill appears overly complex, i was on 30 day contract, and when i ported away, i got bills like clockwork for 7 months, despite not being a customer, and also it took about 30 phone calls to them for the bills to stop!

i wouldnt go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

They have done this to all customers who took up the offer, me included. Don't bother calling them, use the email on the website to get it sorted & kick up some fuss.

Advertisement