Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad experience at Chapters Bookshop Parnell Street, Dublin 1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

Finneen wrote: »
    The next time I'm in Chapters .....

Maybe you shouldn't go in there again. Then you wouldn't be so upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

cloud493 wrote: »
    How do you buy a DVD without taking it off the shelf?

cannot say I have had that experience but the second hand dvds are selling at 5 euro. in some cases you can get them cheaper new. most places would want to shift dvds as they are becoming outdated.

I think down stairs with its new books is better value than its second hand stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Grievous wrote: »
    Haha, I know the guy you are all on about. I don't know him personally but I am going in to Chapters years.

It's wierd, because Chapters is one of my favourite bookstores ever (C'mon, no amount of ****ty staff could ruin how awesome their second hand section is).

I think I remember another member of the staff there saying to Mr Obnoxious about some guy leaving his CV in and he responded by saying "I asked him out on a date, and he said no, he clearly didn't want the job!).

Yes, rude and imposing and intimidating, but that moment made me laugh in a horrible bosses sort of way.

I've been going to Chapters for about 15 years. When I was a student I loved going to their downstairs, second-hand section in Abbey Street and having a good root around. I remember in late 2006/early 2007 I had just started going out with a girl (a fellow book-lover) and feeling excited bringing her for her first visit to my Mecca, only to be devastated by the "Closed" sign on the door- but then being amazed at the size of the new store on Parnell Street. Even though the second hand section was quite smaller than it is now, I remember thinking at the time it was the largest second hand bookstore I'd ever been in. Happy memories :)

I did bring a couple of books there to trade one time, but they wouldn't accept them, for a variety of reasons. To be honest, I think seeing as how their second hand prices are so low, you can't reasonably expect to get anything but rock bottom prices for them. At the end of the day, you are bringing them there because you want to get rid of them- they aren't necessarily going to be as desperate to have them.

As for the comments about that certain individual, I know who you are talking about :D I remember being upstairs one time and hearing two other members of staff talking about him, questioning whether it was natural for someone to be so fussy (not the term they used, but "fussy" is the only polite word I can think of :))

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I have been trading with Chapters since the early 1990's, there are at least two strong personalities in their store. I am sure both of them feel they are entitled to their opinions.

If you need to trade then unfortunately the in house credit is the best value. There will be something a customer can eventually put it towards. One novel, map, travel guide to a place they are going to or uncherished Christmas Present.
    The range is very good and only online have I bought specific books cheaper.

In 2001 the nombre un asked a French member of staff if a 1993 Michelin Map de Paris was too old. "yes, far too old" was the reply. If a business is denying Irish Tourists accurate information on Paris, where do we go from here.

The lift has been out of order, which an inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Desmond_T

Here' a copy of a letter I have written to chapters, about my bad experience there last Friday (November 23rd, 2012):

To Whom It Concerns:

I wish to draw attention to your acceptance policy, and the implementation thereof, of secondhand books at your shop.

Last Friday (November 23rd) I went in to sell two hardback books for credit, in your upstairs department, and the woman behind the counter (whose name I did not ask for, but who I will hereinafter refer to as ‘Tweedy Bitch’, or TB for short), informed me: “These books are new, we only take secondhand books.” I was rather flummoxed at her logic, but managed to inquire: “I don’t understand: if I’ve owned them, then they are secondhand.” To which she replied, “No, I’m not taking them.”

So I make my way out, and it is only as I am halfway down the stairs that the penny drops: she thinks the books are stolen. I decide to go back to the counter to say my piece: “You think they’re stolen, don’t you?” To which Tweedy Bitch replies: “I didn’t say that.”

I then explain: “I’m a book reviewer, that’s where I get them from.” To which TB has the audacity to respond: “Why didn’t you say that?”, as though the onus is on me to prove the books were not stolen. So I retort: “You didn’t ask.”
    This terminated our exchange, with no apology forthcoming.

The point is that TB presumed the books were stolen, yet would not give me an adequate explanation as to why she would not accept the books. Furthermore, she implied that it was up to me to prove the books are not stolen, even though I was completely unaware of her suspicions.

I am not accustomed to being treated like a common thief, nor as a receiver and seller of stolen goods. I have been reviewing books for nigh on twenty years, for a wide variety of Irish and international newspapers, magazines, and journals:

http://www.desmondtraynor.com/books.html

yet never before have I encountered such an obnoxious and condescending attitude in selling unwanted books, or books I have multiple copies of, which presumes an ulterior and illegal motive for selling newly or recently published books.

Suffice to say, I will not be buying or selling in Chapters ever again. My only regret is that I have done business there in the past, and spent money there (all of which seems to count for naught). In future, I will stick to favouring southside secondhand bookshops with my custom, such as The Secret Book and Record Shop, on Wicklow Street, with whom I enacted a much friendlier transaction later in the day, for the same books). A quick internet search shows that your (bad) reputation goes before you:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056533617

I will also be letting all my colleagues in the National Union of Journalists know about my negative and humiliating experience in chapters, which will hopefully do some more damage to your business, however slight.

Yours sincerely,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I would encourage you to omit the nickname for the staff member from your letter.

Regardless of her attitude, noone will take a letter seriously where you resort to insulting a member of staff through name calling. There is no need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'd agree with that. Name calling wont get you anywhere. Although I will add my business in chapters has decreased significantly recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

A Single thread on a single forum with people defending chapters itself doesn't really count as a bad reputation on the internet.

Naming calling & region snobbery is really unbecoming of a person & will get your complaint zero attention.

And the complaint is a bit silly really imho.

If they'd said they suspected the books were stolen you'd be up in arms at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Agent J wrote: »
    If they'd said they suspected the books were stolen you'd be up in arms at that.

Absolutely.

I have also bought what were obviously 'Advance reading copies' in the second hand setion before the books official release date so I'd imagine they would have no problem taking them if you had said you were a reviewer first.

From talking to people who work in bookshops there seems to be a fair amount of theft and attempted sales to other shops. It would seem good practice for Chapters to query sales that encourage theft from other bookshops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Desmond_T wrote: »
    Here' a copy of a letter I have written to chapters, about my bad experience there last Friday (November 23rd, 2012):

To Whom It Concerns:

I wish to draw attention to your acceptance policy, and the implementation thereof, of secondhand books at your shop.

Last Friday (November 23rd) I went in to sell two hardback books for credit, in your upstairs department, and the woman behind the counter (whose name I did not ask for, but who I will hereinafter refer to as ‘Tweedy Bitch’, or TB for short), informed me: “These books are new, we only take secondhand books.” I was rather flummoxed at her logic, but managed to inquire: “I don’t understand: if I’ve owned them, then they are secondhand.” To which she replied, “No, I’m not taking them.”

So I make my way out, and it is only as I am halfway down the stairs that the penny drops: she thinks the books are stolen. I decide to go back to the counter to say my piece: “You think they’re stolen, don’t you?” To which Tweedy Bitch replies: “I didn’t say that.”

I then explain: “I’m a book reviewer, that’s where I get them from.” To which TB has the audacity to respond: “Why didn’t you say that?”, as though the onus is on me to prove the books were not stolen. So I retort: “You didn’t ask.”
    This terminated our exchange, with no apology forthcoming.

The point is that TB presumed the books were stolen, yet would not give me an adequate explanation as to why she would not accept the books. Furthermore, she implied that it was up to me to prove the books are not stolen, even though I was completely unaware of her suspicions.

I am not accustomed to being treated like a common thief, nor as a receiver and seller of stolen goods. I have been reviewing books for nigh on twenty years, for a wide variety of Irish and international newspapers, magazines, and journals:

http://www.desmondtraynor.com/books.html

yet never before have I encountered such an obnoxious and condescending attitude in selling unwanted books, or books I have multiple copies of, which presumes an ulterior and illegal motive for selling newly or recently published books.

Suffice to say, I will not be buying or selling in Chapters ever again. My only regret is that I have done business there in the past, and spent money there (all of which seems to count for naught). In future, I will stick to favouring southside secondhand bookshops with my custom, such as The Secret Book and Record Shop, on Wicklow Street, with whom I enacted a much friendlier transaction later in the day, for the same books). A quick internet search shows that your (bad) reputation goes before you:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056533617

I will also be letting all my colleagues in the National Union of Journalists know about my negative and humiliating experience in chapters, which will hopefully do some more damage to your business, however slight.

Yours sincerely,

You come out of this far worse then they do.

From your letter I fail to see how the staff were "obnoxious and condescending attitude" to you. It's your letter that is "obnoxious and condescending" if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

I have never had a bad experience in Chapters,

just say lioke,

I then explain: “I’m a book reviewer, that’s where I get them from.” To which TB has the audacity to respond: “Why didn’t you say that?”, as though the onus is on me to prove the books were not stolen.

With all due respect, if it's something you're trying to sell, the onus is on you to prove the goods are not stolen.

I don't think geographical snobbery or calling people names will get you anywhere either, to be honest.

To dukedalton:

Indeed, I should have gone into the shop and said:

"Madam, I'd like to sell these books for credit. And by the way, they are NOT stolen."

The geographical snobbery and name-calling is intentionally offensive, in response to the offense caused to me.

To hooplah:

They didn't query it. They presumed.

I'd agree with that. Name calling wont get you anywhere. Although I will add my business in chapters has decreased significantly recently.

Why is that, if I may ask?

For your further delectation, if anyone is still interested, here is the response I got from manager Jarlath Gregory, and the comments I returned to him, in blue:

Dear Mr. Gregory,

Thank you for your reply to my complaint. Find my responses below.

Yours sincerely,

Desmond Traynor

Sent: Wednesday, 28 November 2012, 9:46:30
    Subject: Second hand department

Dear Mr Traynor

Firstly, we are under no obligation to buy yours or anyone else's books at all, and each decision made in our second hand department as to which books to buy are made on a case by case basis.

Indeed you aren't. But your staff could still be civil to customers.

Secondly, at no point did my colleague suggest or imply that you had stolen anything.

Her "Why didn't you say that?" gives the lie to that assertion. As does, "These are new, we only take secondhand."

Thirdly, to refer to my colleague in such a sexist and derogatory way is unacceptable.

If the description used was offensive, that was my intention, in retaliation to the offense caused to me. Also, since when is it sexist to refer to a woman as a 'bitch'? Is it also, therefore, sexist to call a man a 'bastard'?

We trust this will be the end of the matter.

Indeed it will, as I will never darken your doors again.

Yours sincerely

Jarlath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

The geographical snobbery and name-calling is intentionally offensive, in response to the offense caused to me.

Wow. If a child did that they would be rightly repremanded. An Adult doing it is something else.

Remember it's your perception of such not objective fact & based on the handful of responses here few other see it your way.

Chapters response is bang on with it's response. My only minor quibble with it is that this

"Thirdly, to refer to my colleague in such a sexist and derogatory way is unacceptable. "

Should have been the first point & probably only point. You give your complaint zero creditablity when you resort to quite literally childish tactics of name calling however justified you think you might be.

You are digging yourself a bigger hole here. Take a step back & really look at this situation objectively. I strongly suggest you let it go.

To dukedalton:

Indeed, I should have gone into the shop and said:

"Madam, I'd like to sell these books for credit. And by the way, they are NOT stolen."

I find it best to not go around being intentionally offensive to people. Generally makes life a bit easier. And by being intentionally offensive, you have lost any moral high ground you might have had, and as a result got the polite PFO letter you quote above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I'm sure they are gutted you wont be back. Serious attitude there Desmond.

Agent J wrote: »
    Wow. If a child did that they would be rightly repremanded. An Adult doing it is something else.

Remember it's your perception of such not objective fact & based on the handful of responses here few other see it your way.

Chapters response is bang on with it's response. My only minor quibble with it is that this

"Thirdly, to refer to my colleague in such a sexist and derogatory way is unacceptable. "

Should have been the first point & probably only point. You give your complaint zero creditablity when you resort to quite literally childish tactics of name calling however justified you think you might be.

You are digging yourself a bigger hole here. Take a step back & really look at this situation objectively. I strongly suggest you let it go.

I have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I have.
    Well, by providing the link to this thread in your mail, you at least will let Chapters see all these negative responses to your letter. You must really believe it's a well written piece, and that everyone else's opinion on it is unfounded, in that case.

ixoy wrote: »
    Well, by providing the link to this thread in your mail, you at least will let Chapters see all these negative responses to your letter. You must really believe it's a well written piece, and that everyone else's opinion on it is unfounded, in that case.

I have nothing to hide.

But you weren't going to get anywhere with that attitude. My reason for not shopping there anymore is like you, I have received extreme amounts of discourtesy from their employees, so I go on amazon for my books now. Still not the right way to protest it.

But you weren't going to get anywhere with that attitude. My reason for not shopping there anymore is like you, I have received extreme amounts of discourtesy from their employees, so I go on amazon for my books now. Still not the right way to protest it.

So, how do suggest I protest it? Like you, I am protesting with my feet. I am just drawing attention to the fact, beforehand. What's the right way to go about it, in your opinion? You are not protesting it at all, except with your buying power. Ultimately, I don't care that much. I'm just letting other people know what they're like...I guess in the vague hope that they won't shop there either. :)

With buying power. Simple as. If they piss enough people off, they'll be their own downfall.

With buying power. Simple as. If they piss enough people off, they'll be their own downfall.

Cool. So let other people know that they are pissing you off.

I am. I'm posting about it here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I assume they make a judgement call on the person and/or the books. I expect they can't win though, some people will be offended if they tell them directly, that they/and their books are suspicions, or they simply turn them away with some other reason, as in this case.

I am. I'm posting about it here :)

Only after my more extreme response encouraged you to do so. Looks like my more extreme reaction was the right way to go about it.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    I assume they make a judgement call on the person and/or the books. I expect they can't win though, some people will be offended if they tell them directly, that they/and their books are suspicions, or they simply turn them away with some other reason, as in this case.

??? The human touch?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement