Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad experience at Chapters Bookshop Parnell Street, Dublin 1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Desmond_T

cloud493 wrote: »
    Well you might have got somewhere, if you hadn't descended to name calling.

I doubt it. The might of an uncaring faceless organisation versus little old me?

BostonB wrote: »
    If you are suggesting there's no way to establish your credentials or deal with people in a mature responsible manner then I can't agree.

I had already been dealt with with a shrug of the shoulders. No amount of complaining about a rude employee, even in the politest possible terms, is gong to see any action being taken against that employee, or reversal of that employee's decision.

He's insulted because they refused his books. That's the crux of it.

No, I was insulted by the manner in which they refused them.

Is name calling and ganging-up the same thing? :confused:

Anyway, it's a discussion board, people put forward their opinions, mine being that Desmond handled the situation in a bad way, and actually made Chapters seem reasonable. This is fairly impressive, considering the bad experience many of us have had at the hands of a particular person working the 'help' desk.

You clearly have a higher tolerance level than mine for this sort of thing.

Denerick wrote: »
    I got to admit, when I read this I thought of Ignatius O'Reilly. I suspect that wasn't intended. Which makes it all the more precious. (Incidentally I don't even like a Confederacy of Dunces, mostly because I presumed no such character could possibly exist, though this 'complaint' may have tipped that theory on its head.)

A Confederacy of Dunces is one of my favourite comic novels. We clearly have very different senses of humour. I trust you meant 'precious' in its positive, approving sense.

• Advertisement

ali123 wrote: »
    We had a terrible experience with Chapters. My bf bought me 2 'new' books for Christmas but it turned out I'd already read them. He went back to the shop and was told that they were second hand and they would not exchange them. I find this disgusting. His receipt does not show second hand, he bought them downstairs with the new books and the were not second hand prices. When closely inspected there is a slight crease down the spine of both. So it would seem that Chapters are selling some of their least worn second hand books as new. Buyer Beware!

Indeed! Nefarious activity and sharp practice much in evidence at Chapters, Parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Desmond_T wrote: »
    I have.
    = From a month ago.

So much for letting it go.

We had a terrible experience with Chapters. My bf bought me 2 'new' books for Christmas but it turned out I'd already read them. He went back to the shop and was told that they were second hand and they would not exchange them. I find this disgusting. His receipt does not show second hand, he bought them downstairs with the new books and the were not second hand prices. When closely inspected there is a slight crease down the spine of both. So it would seem that Chapters are selling some of their least worn second hand books as new. Buyer Beware!

You aren't entitled to a refund or exchange if it's a simple case that you have already read them. A shop may offer store credit out of good will but thats at their discretion. It's to stop someone just buying a book/DVD reading it & bringing it back within a couple of weeks.

As for the secondhand book part. I'd be surprised, Any of the secondhand books part i've bought recently there are clearly marked & they all have to be bought downstairs now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ali123

Maybe so but most shops will offer you store credit on christmas presents its called goodwill. Plus the receipt clearly states book 9.99 as opposed to second hand which normally shows up on second hand purchases. Clearly something is amiss.

Agent J wrote: »
    = From a month ago.

So much for letting it go.

Well, I get e mails alerting me to new posts, so I drop in occasionally. Don't I still have a right of reply, even if I have 'let go'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...No amount of complaining about a rude employee, even in the politest possible terms, ...

Unless you've tried something how would you know.
    No, I was insulted by the manner in which they refused them.

Er no, you said you were flummoxed, no mention of being insulted in the original exchange. You only became insulted afterwards because they wouldn't make an exception and accept your books. While the policy makes no sense to me, it makes no sense to take something as a generic store policy so personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Maybe so but most shops will offer you store credit on christmas presents its called goodwill. Plus the receipt clearly states book 9.99 as opposed to second hand which normally shows up on second hand purchases. Clearly something is amiss.

Yeah i clearly mentioned goodwill that in my reply
    Agent J wrote: »
    A shop may offer store credit out of good will but thats at their discretion.

It would be in a stores interest to do but it's a judgement call.

9.99 does sound high for an average secondhand book but it depends on the book.

If you seriously think they have done what you have said then i would strongly recommend pushing this further. Contact NCA and see what they say. Complaining on a forum does nothing but vent steam.

http://www.nca.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ali123

Thanks for the advice think I will do this. We do frequent the shop a lot but I have never seen second hand books for sale downstairs. To be honest I'm more upset that we were sold them as new in the first place than about getting the money back, it just seems very dishonest.

I don't disagree with you. But like Agent J say they don't have to give you an exchange because you've read them already. Sucky policy certainly. The reason given seems nonsense though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

A Confederacy of Dunces is one of my favourite comic novels. We clearly have very different senses of humour. I trust you meant 'precious' in its positive, approving sense.

No, I meant that you were unintentionally mimicking Ignatius O'Reilly, which I find precious (which in turn has forced me to re-examine the novel, as I previously hadn't thought that such a character was remotely plausible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Does anyone know how long I should be waiting when I ordered a book off them? I ordered said book 3 weeks ago, paid in cash at the time, haven't heard a sausage off them since. Tried calling them yesterday, but nobody answered the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Thanks for the advice think I will do this. We do frequent the shop a lot but I have never seen second hand books for sale downstairs. To be honest I'm more upset that we were sold them as new in the first place than about getting the money back, it just seems very dishonest.
    Devils advocate here but are you sure they didn't meant they're second hand now, Ie that they can't be put back on the shelf to be sold as new, so they can't give you the full price back and take a loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Devils advocate here but are you sure they didn't meant they're second hand now, Ie that they can't be put back on the shelf to be sold as new, so they can't give you the full price back and take a loss?

Surely they only become second hand after the person has read them- in this case that didn't happen.

dukedalton wrote: »
    Surely they only become second hand after the person has read them- in this case that didn't happen.

Generally things are 2nd hand as soon as they leave the shop.

That said most shops have an exchange policy if thing are as new. But they don't have to.

I think thats an presumption too far.

I think thats an presumption too far.

Why? If you buy something new and it's returned unused...

• Advertisement

Because there's no seals or anything I suppose. Not saying they're right or wrong, just that consumer law can be awful strange sometimes. I don't claim to know the answer.

The store doesn't have to accept it.

The store doesn't have to accept it.

I didn't say they do.

Unless you've tried something how would you know.

Er no, you said you were flummoxed, no mention of being insulted in the original exchange. You only became insulted afterwards because they wouldn't make an exception and accept your books. While the policy makes no sense to me, it makes no sense to take something as a generic store policy so personally.

Flummoxed because I was insulted. Also because no store policy was explained to me. I assure you, I can find other places to sell books. If Chapters don't want them, they could be polite about it.

I didn't say they do.

But that the crux of it. It actually doesn't matter if they are 2nd hand or not.

Denerick wrote: »
    No, I meant that you were unintentionally mimicking Ignatius O'Reilly, which I find precious (which in turn has forced me to re-examine the novel, as I previously hadn't thought that such a character was remotely plausible)

That's it: I AM IGNATIUS O"REILLY.

PS Is it actually possible to 'unintentionally mimic' someone?

mim·ic
    Verb
    Imitate (someone or their actions or words), typically in order to entertain or ridicule

Which implies a degree of volition in the process.

Just wondering by-the-by: Does any other Dublin bookshop inspire quite as much negative comment on here as Chapters does?

Just wondering by-the-by: Does any other Dublin bookshop inspire quite as much negative comment on here as Chapters does?

By what arbitrary measure?

You mean like this?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80145333&postcount=1

That's it: I AM IGNATIUS O"REILLY.

PS Is it actually possible to 'unintentionally mimic' someone?

mim·ic
    Verb
    Imitate (someone or their actions or words), typically in order to entertain or ridicule

Which implies a degree of volition in the process.

Yes. I would have thought that was common knowledge.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7931299/Humans-subconsciously-mimic-other-accents-psychologists-claim.html

http://mcakins.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/dare-to-be-different/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqq3e03EBQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 doctork

I visited Chapters for the first time last week, having heard good things. Was really surprised at the rudeness of the staff. The man at "Customer Service" silently pointed at the check-outs when I approached him, and then laughed out loud and pointed again when I didn't quite follow his direction.

A simple "the check-out is over there" surely wouldn't have been too difficult. I would have thought that customer-service is the one strength that bookshops have over online stores, and would have expected a lot better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement