Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad experience at Chapters Bookshop Parnell Street, Dublin 1.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Forever And Ever

cloud493 wrote: »
    I went into him on saturday when I was buying the new Max Hastings book, had 5 or 6 books in my hands, and I just said to him scuse me where the books :)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gerardrodgers

I like their collection of books. Staff and manager mostly formal and not remotely polite. Sharp and cutting with comments and not very helpful. I don't like in particular having to deal with manager and I feel his attitude and management style most definitely rubs off on staff. On phone manner a disaster, really rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TwoGallants

I remember going in one time to buy a book by William Golding, 'The Inheritors'. He typed it in his gizmo and then said he could order it in specially for me. I politely declined. Then he said something along the lines of 'you must be really interested in getting this book'. He seems a little crazy to be honest. With people like that, its better to pity them than to be angry with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Benji1974

I went to Chapters today to get some last minute Christmas presents. When I walked into the shop the security alarm went off, a man approached me and asked if I could come with him to the desk so he could deactivate whatever was activating the alarm. Fair enough, I went with him to the desk and he asked for my backpack, which he scanned but nothing (it was empty anyway). He then asked if I had keys, which I gave to him but nothing so he asked me to go back to the door with him again.

I reminded him I had walked into the shop and he said he knew but it was just store policy. I told him I would rather just shop but he said I couldn’t. I asked him if he was being serious and he said yes. I was already really embarrassed as everyone was looking so I asked him again if he was sure I wasn’t allowed to shop and he said he was. I left and went home, as I was really annoyed.

I called the shop to ask for the manager to report what happened. The man who answered said he was the manager so I started to explain to him what had happened but he cut in just as I said ‘we have the right to check bags’. I told him that wasn’t the issue and asked if I could explain but he kept repeating over and over ‘we have the right to check bags’ which was very frustrating.
    I asked for his name so I could address a written complaint to him. He refused to give his name but said he was the owner and manager. I asked about five times for his name but he kept refusing. That was as far as I got. He hung up the phone on me.

I did not even get to tell him what happened and nothing will be done and I now know that writing a letter will be pointless. I know it sounds silly but I am so upset about this and so shocked that I need to vent. I must say I am so glad I read this thread as it all makes better sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

It's a fantastic shop but their customer service is shockingly bad. It's almost like they want to turn people away. They don't deserve to get anyone's business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Benji1974

I have to say the staff in Chapters are always nice and helpful except for the smart Alek with the glasses at the information desk. He’s sarky for no good reason and seems a bit off so I’ve always just avoided him. I know he is the one I spoke to on the phone.

I found out the manager’s name from a friend and called back to confirm that it was he that I spoke to and it got even weirder.

The same man answered so I started explaining again who I was, before I could finish he cut me off and said ‘it Christmas eve, I don’t have time to discuss this.’

I asked if I was speaking to (…..) and he repled ‘I can neither confirm nor deny this’. I asked again and he repeated ‘I can neither confirm nor deny this.’

It's all so strange. I just find it sad and pathetic that someone behaves like that, dismissing and talking down to people and creating trouble and for what.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Benji1974 wrote: »
    I went to Chapters today to get some last minute Christmas presents. When I walked into the shop the security alarm went off, a man approached me and asked if I could come with him to the desk so he could deactivate whatever was activating the alarm. Fair enough, I went with him to the desk and he asked for my backpack, which he scanned but nothing (it was empty anyway). He then asked if I had keys, which I gave to him but nothing so he asked me to go back to the door with him again.

I reminded him I had walked into the shop and he said he knew but it was just store policy. I told him I would rather just shop but he said I couldn’t. I asked him if he was being serious and he said yes. I was already really embarrassed as everyone was looking so I asked him again if he was sure I wasn’t allowed to shop and he said he was. I left and went home, as I was really annoyed.

I called the shop to ask for the manager to report what happened. The man who answered said he was the manager so I started to explain to him what had happened but he cut in just as I said ‘we have the right to check bags’. I told him that wasn’t the issue and asked if I could explain but he kept repeating over and over ‘we have the right to check bags’ which was very frustrating.
    I asked for his name so I could address a written complaint to him. He refused to give his name but said he was the owner and manager. I asked about five times for his name but he kept refusing. That was as far as I got. He hung up the phone on me.

I did not even get to tell him what happened and nothing will be done and I now know that writing a letter will be pointless. I know it sounds silly but I am so upset about this and so shocked that I need to vent. I must say I am so glad I read this thread as it all makes better sense now.

I had a similar experience a number of years ago, which was all the more frustrating as I had been a regular customer of the store for years. Ironically, if I'm looking for a new or recently released title I won't buy from Chapters because of those damn security tags they stick into their new books!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This Chapters thread is like a soap opera. The next time I go to Dublin, I'll have to visit this shop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Benji1974 wrote: »

They don't have the right to search your bag nobody does apart from gardai, you can ask someone to open their bag to look in but they cannot search it. They don't have a leg to stand on. It's funny because I've set their alarm off before going in with DVD's I wanted to sell, the guy said it was fine and just to tell the people at the second hand desk what happened, it went off when I was leaving too and he let me go. You have every right to be pissed off. Their second hand section is good but the selection down stairs isn't. You're better off going to Hodges Figgis who have a better selection and a bargain basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

I shop in Chapters a fair bit. Thankfully I've managed to avoid having any dealings with ****head.

The chap with the glasses and ponytail upstairs is bang on. Sold a few books there a while back and got into conversation with him. He's a bit of craic.

There's another young guy upstairs that always looks like he'd rather be somewhere else. Saw him going to Rammstein once, so he's alright. The girls at the counter downstairs are always nice in fairness.

Must think of something to ask yer man. Curious now . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Ironman76 wrote: »
    I shop in Chapters a fair bit. Thankfully I've
    There's another young guy upstairs that always looks like he'd rather be somewhere else. Saw him going to Rammstein once, so he's alright. s.

Lol, definitely sound so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

porsche959 wrote: »
    Sounds like he might be high-functioning autistic.

What I mean by this is the repetition of phrases over and over, e.g. "We are allowed to check your bag", rigid manner of communication that kind of thing. On the other hand he could be just rude or alternatively he could fancy himself as a high-minded intellectual literary type who views dealing with the general public as beneath him.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Iggy154

porsche959 wrote: »
    What I mean by this is the repetition of phrases over and over, e.g. "We are allowed to check your bag", rigid manner of communication that kind of thing. On the other hand he could be just rude or alternatively he could fancy himself as a high-minded intellectual literary type who views dealing with the general public as beneath him.

A writ for defamation would soon sort him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Incidentally, Chapters do have a very active twitter page. I'd suggest if people feel they have a grievance they might get more joy if they engage with Chapters on that public forum, rather than getting nowhere talking to you know who.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I used to go into Chapters all the time when it was on Abbey Street. Sold books there & practically lived in the second-hand basement. Didn't like it as much when it moved. Yes the section for second-hand was bigger but it seemed to lose some of the lovely feel it had back on Abbey Street. I mainly either buy ebooks or books online now. I'm not really over that part of the city much anymore due to work etc but slightly interested to go & see this guy now. I have a vague memory of him from back in the day but think I might need to take a trip in soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Crazy to think the old Chapters is now the twisted pepper nightclub

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Crazy to think the old Chapters is now the twisted pepper nightclub

Was it not the outdoor sports shop beside the christian reading place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Birneybau wrote: »
    Was it not the outdoor sports shop beside the christian reading place?

There were 2 on Abbey St - Twisted Pepper was the Video Games/Vhs Video/Cassette/Cd/Vinyl part

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MarkElsewhere

In Chapters today, and rude manager was doing his thing, giving out to a young female staff member. I was a couple of aisles over so didn't hear the whole thing. The female staff member seemed to be saying very little that I could hear, but his end of the conversation came through loud and clear. He ended up with "I'm sick of your backchat" and "I can [I didn't catch this word] any member of staff anytime I want, just you remember that." The shop was busy, and this took place at the information desk, audible to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

In Chapters today, and rude manager was doing his thing, giving out to a young female staff member. I was a couple of aisles over so didn't hear the whole thing. The female staff member seemed to be saying very little that I could hear, but his end of the conversation came through loud and clear. He ended up with "I'm sick of your backchat" and "I can [I didn't catch this word] any member of staff anytime I want, just you remember that." The shop was busy, and this took place at the information desk, audible to all.

I applaud your quick action in immediately signing up to an internet forum to let us know about this scurrilous behavior. I look forward to your future postings. God speed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 MarkElsewhere

I applaud your quick action in immediately signing up to an internet forum to let us know about this scurrilous behavior. I look forward to your future postings. God speed!

I suppose you're being sarcastic, but I was taken aback by the behaviour and thought it worth noting. You're not him, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I suppose you're being sarcastic, but I was taken aback by the behaviour and thought it worth noting. You're not him, are you?
    Nope. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This thread needs to stop. Make a complaint to the store, to the owners. Boards is not the place.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement