Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation Irish

• 29-01-2012 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

I might have said this before, But I'm pretty rubbish at biology, so I've been worrying about doing it on the leaving cert. Someone suggested doing foundation irish, cos he said its mostly ticking boxes, sounds good to me.

The question is, is it easy to learn? I was never much cop at foreign languages, took french for 5 years don't know a word of it, but ticking boxes, easy peasy. Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

An ordinary Irish A is 20 points, if you're going to count it.Provided you have at least six honours/pass level subjects,I don't see why you shouldn't do foundation level Irish.
    It is very easy to learn and get the grasp of.There is no listening section as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No I have 4 honours, one ordinary. I'd be looking for irish just to pass it essentially.

cloud493 wrote: »
    No I have 4 honours, one ordinary. I'd be looking for irish just to pass it essentially.

I would then strongly advise you to do Irish at ordinary level then.This would be purely for points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DeanO990

If you can get the points with the 6 subjects then do Foundation Irish, however look into the college you want to go to first. In some colleges you need Irish at ordinary level to get in. I was the same last year, I just couldn't do languages so I just did Irish at foundation and got my points and my college place. Some subject aren't for everyone.

I'm not one one for biology or maths, I'm sure I could get points on the 5 other subjects. I just know, I will fail biology out right, I've got a chance on irish like.

• Advertisement

Irish at foundation level for counting points?

No, for the 6 subjects effectively. I'm eligible for DARE as well, so that'll help with points too.

No, for the 6 subjects effectively. I'm eligible for DARE as well, so that'll help with points too.

Exactly what is DARE if you don't mind me asking?

'The Disability Access Route to Education (DARE) is a college and university admissions scheme which offers places on a reduced points basis to school leavers with disabilities. DARE has been set up by a number of colleges and universities as evidence shows that disability can have a negative effect on how well a student does at school and whether they go on to college.'

And I have a diagnosed mental health issue, so I've been confirmed as eligible.

Combining DARE with the 4 honours is great,but I still think you should do Irish at an ordinary level.

• Advertisement

But I've never done Irish, nor am I Irish. 5 months to pick up a language?

But I've never done Irish, nor am I Irish. 5 months to pick up a language?

You could've mentioned that earlier on in the thread you know...

Thought I already did :rolleyes:

Thought I already did :rolleyes:
    No you didn't .
    If you came here after you were eleven you can get an exemption.

Yeah, I only turned up in 2010. I'm saying foundation irish, instead of biology, cos I hate biology, and you need 6 subjects minimum.

Yeah, I only turned up in 2010. I'm saying foundation irish, instead of biology, cos I hate biology, and you need 6 subjects minimum.

I guarantee you that you will get more points in biology then you ever would in foundation level Irish.
    Maybe something like technical drawing instead of irish would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Is your mother language on the Leaving Cert? If it is then do it and you will get rather easy points!

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Is your mother language on the Leaving Cert? If it is then do it and you will get rather easy points!

That is a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Your mother tongue doesn't actually have to be a leaving cert. language, if it's a language of the EU then they'll let you sit an exam in it!

It is a good idea. Except British isn't a separate language unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

British isn't a language at all.
    How about Art? You might do badly on the written exam, but you might get a few marks on the practical - are there even points for Foundation Irish?

There are twenty points for an A in foundation Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lisa94

hey im just here to ask if it is true that there are 20 points available for an A in foundation level irish in the leaving cert?? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

lisa94 wrote: »
    hey im just here to ask if it is true that there are 20 points available for an A in foundation level irish in the leaving cert?? :)

Not according to the CAO, sorry. Looks like the only Foundation Level subject that qualifies for points is Maths and that's only for certain colleges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

If you only came here that recently ago how don't you have an exemption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

He probably does, but he needs to do it for the minimum 6 subjects / points since he doesnt think he can do biology.

Thats the one. Minimum 6 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lisa94

thanks ive been hearing its 20 points for an A but nobody is quite sure i am terrible at irish and i have orals this week i am so screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

There are no points for foundation Irish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement