Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring a van to move furniture

Options
  • 29-01-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Any ball park figures? What might a 250mile round trip be? Is the price by the distance? Don't need a big removal van, just a small one for a limited amount of furniture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

You don't say what part of the country you're in, but I hired a van for the weekend from National Car Rental in Ballycoolin, Dublin. They do a very cheap weekend deal. I think it's €70 + VAT for the smallest van (Transit Connect) and €90 for a slightly bigger one. Plus you have to pay for fuel to return it full. I don't think there's a mileage limit so your 250-mile round trip wouldn't be a problem.

Due to a misunderstanding we ended up returning it late on the Monday and paying an extra half-day's rental as a penalty. But it's good value and I would use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

hibby wrote: »
    You don't say what part of the country you're in, but I hired a van for the weekend from National Car Rental in Ballycoolin, Dublin. They do a very cheap weekend deal. I think it's €70 + VAT for the smallest van (Transit Connect) and €90 for a slightly bigger one. Plus you have to pay for fuel to return it full. I don't think there's a mileage limit so your 250-mile round trip wouldn't be a problem.

Due to a misunderstanding we ended up returning it late on the Monday and paying an extra half-day's rental as a penalty. But it's good value and I would use them again.

Ok, so you drove the van yourself. Not sure I'd fancy taking on to drive a van myself. I need to transport a suite of furniture from Meath to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Oh, that's a different question. I don't know how much a van with driver would cost.

But self-drive is worth considering. I'm a car driver, and I had no problem driving a fairly big van (LWB Transit). My wife wouldn't be the most confident driver, and she was surprised how easy it was. Really, it's very like driving a car. Only bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd say ask companies in Waterford so they will come up to Meath and then "drive home" again.
    Give these fellas a ring and get some quotes http://www.goldenpages.ie/q/business/advanced/where/County%20Waterford/what/movers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Rented a van off enterprise last week. Got it sat morning till Mon for 97 Euro. Approx 45 for a day. Great value I thought. Had my brother to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Is there a free ads paper in your area, my local one always has "man with van" adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bobfoster

I know a man and van who does removals from Ireland to and from England. Not sure if he does removals within Ireland but you could check him out. He was recommended to us by a colleague and the move went very well. Here's a link to his site www.andythompson.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

paddles wrote: »
    Ok, so you drove the van yourself. Not sure I'd fancy taking on to drive a van myself. I need to transport a suite of furniture from Meath to Waterford.
    I've used someone from Mallow to do this before as well, although it was office furniture in my case. He came, packed up all the stuff in the van, drove it to Waterford and unpacked it all. Can't remember the exact cost but can remember thinking it was very reasonable at the time. Send me a PM if you want his number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

http://www.vantasks.ie/

Cormie is on boards, he'll sort you out

Have used him twice

Feck, the OP asked for info five weeks ago, probably a bit late now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

There's also the option to hire a van trailer. A few places do them daily for €20-30. A lot less hassle in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 08103178

Hey, does anyone know of any van rental companies that do relocation's from Ireland to Britain? I'm moving from Dublin to Edinburgh at the end of August. I would like to drive my stuff over and not have to drive the van back! Any info would be great.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

08103178 wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know of any van rental companies that do relocation's from Ireland to Britain? I'm moving from Dublin to Edinburgh at the end of August. I would like to drive my stuff over and not have to drive the van back! Any info would be great.
    Cheers

No one does this. The van would be useless to the company in the UK on Irish plates. Plenty of companies do removals to UK but not the self-drive option you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bobfoster

08103178 wrote: »
    Cheers

Try Andy Thompson. Man with a van based in England. Does UK - Ireland removals so probably does removals from Ireland to Scotland too ...worth a go

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭digit1

Get on to www.shiply.com. You will need to register to get quotes but this should work out by far the cheapest way to do it. There are van guys quoting for work at very very cheap rates. You will need to select the country section in the drop down box but you should start getting quotes within minutes.

Advertisement