Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rashers & Sausages - Butcher Recommendations

Options
  • 29-01-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Was well impressed with the rashers I bought in Furlong's butchers in Wexford town recently. Large, decent thickness, slightly salty, traditional style rashers which don't shrink when you cook them and are keenly priced.

Tried another rasher from an Enniscorthy butcher recently and they shrunk up something awful. Not in the same class unfortunatley.

If anyone has any recommendations in relation to their favourite butcher's rashers or sausages (within Wexford of course) then please share.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I know you mean Furlongs but just so others know it's now called Butchers Block.

I think the Specially Selected Sausages in Aldi are great, 1.99 for 9, they are made by Olhausens and taste good.

Y'know Pettits Supervalu's Sausages are pretty good too (closest I've had to Superquiin who for me are the best).

They have really good streaky bacon in Lidl - Glensallagh is the brand, at, I think, 1.49 a pack

But the best back dry cured bacon for me is from a small crowd called O'Neills from near Enniscorthy. I bought it in Karoo in Kilrane before and I saw it yesterday in Pettits supervalu, when I was in there, it's 4.99 for about 8 thick cut slices and it's really good, none of that white crap come out of as it dry cured. Very nice stuff.

Getting hungry now !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I think the Specially Selected Sausages in Aldi are great

Yes, these are my favourites at the moment... I think they are identical to the Dunnes Simply Better (I know these are made by Olhausens) but are more keenly priced.
    But the best back dry cured bacon for me is from a small crowd called O'Neills from near Enniscorthy. I bought it in Karoo in Kilrane before and I saw it yesterday in Pettits supervalu, when I was in there, it's 4.99 for about 8 thick cut slices and it's really good, none of that white crap come out of as it dry cured. Very nice stuff.

Will check them out... when I get through the 4 packs I bought in Furl.. sorry, The Butcher's Block, yesterday ;)

Anyone around doing their own black pudding from scratch?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Precious1

Wonder if Butcher's Block carries chorizo exported from Spain?
    Fell in love with the locally made chorizo on our vacation to north-western Spain last spring.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Yes, these are my favourites at the moment... I think they are identical to the Dunnes Simply Better (I know these are made by Olhausens) but are more keenly priced.

Will check them out... when I get through the 4 packs I bought in Furl.. sorry, The Butcher's Block, yesterday ;)

Anyone around doing their own black pudding from scratch?

Thanks!

Not that I've heard, infact I'd say deffo not. If you like the BP with barley in it then Kellys of Newport, Mayo is your only man (you'll get it in Kates farm shop - last time I saw it I think about 3 euro for some - not cheap).

I think there are now only 2 Irish producers of BP that use Irish Pig Blood, the rest are using imported stuf to make the pudding.
    Precious1 wrote: »
    Wonder if Butcher's Block carries chorizo exported from Spain?
    Fell in love with the locally made chorizo on our vacation to north-western Spain last spring.:)

Doubt it some how but y'know that Aldi/Lidl do Chorizo in packs in the chiller section, have never tried but got it before for the OH and went down a treat. Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

If you like the BP with barley in it then Kellys of Newport, Mayo is your only man (you'll get it in Kates farm shop - last time I saw it I think about 3 euro for some - not cheap).

I'll give it a try. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Precious1

vicwatson wrote: »
    Doubt it some how but y'know that Aldi/Lidl do Chorizo in packs in the chiller section, have never tried but got it before for the OH and went down a treat. Worth checking out.

Sounds good. Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

To add to your breakfast platter you got try Rudd's White (or black) pudding. Old school style. Have to say im totally converted. They sell them in Petitts. maybe in Tesco too.

Advertisement