Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone any good or do I have better options?

Options
  • 29-01-2012 11:02pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm looking to change my phone, I have a samsung galaxy which is about 2 years old, nothing really wrong with it, just fancy a change.

I'm with 3 on contract and pay the minimum monthly amount, I'm considering getting the iphone 3 - but is it any good.
    I don't have a large budget and can get this for about 20 euro with only a 5 euro increase in my monthly bill.
    I don't go over my text or phone limit (on the 90mins plan), I do use the internet to check emails and facebook, google etc...
    Is this worth getting or do I have better options.
    My only real criteria is that is has a decent enough camera.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

There is an iPhone, an iPhone 3g, an iPhone 3GS, an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4s.

Which one are you talking about?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Hogzy wrote: »
    There is an iPhone, an iPhone 3g, an iPhone 3GS, an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4s.

Which one are you talking about?

Sorry didn't realise there was more than one iphone 3. its the 3gs thats on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Is this worth getting or do I have better options.

Title changed to reflect this

Sorry didn't realise there was more than one iphone 3. its the 3gs thats on offer.

A 3GS is not an upgrade from the Samsung Galaxy S. In fact i would consider it a downgrade. The specs on the Galaxy S would be better than the 3GS.

Why are you interested in a phone with 3yr old tech?

cos I can't afford an iPhone 4, and to be honest I don't really care about 'techy' stuff.
    Guessing the answer to my question is don't bother upgrading till I have a bigger budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I'd stay away from 3GS. Bit old now and can be slow with iOS 5. Best bet is to look at the 4 or 4S if you can afford it.

Otherwise if you want something different try out a WP7. The HTC Radar is a good value offering or wait for the Nokia Lumia 710. Get a HTC titan or Lumia 800 if you want something better. WP7 phones might not have the 'horsepower' of the newest Android phones but by god they feel a lot faster.

EDIT: Three only have the omnia 7 now. The new Omnia W is out now so that would be a better option. You'd buy it outright for cheaper than what Three charge. Personally i'd get off Three. I've heard nothing but horror stories.

cos I can't afford an iPhone 4, and to be honest I don't really care about 'techy' stuff.
    Guessing the answer to my question is don't bother upgrading till I have a bigger budget

Id say save a bit and upgrade then. Stick to the android phones if your budget is limited. You will get a fantastic android phone that has equal spec to the latest iPhone for half the cost of an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Then I think you should avoid the whole Android vs iPhone drama and focus on this.

www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=best+camera+phone

http://www.goodmobilephones.co.uk/news/top-5-camera-phones-best-camera-phones-2011~92/

TBi wrote: »
    Personally i'd get off Three. I've heard nothing but horror stories.

What are the alternatives, are there any who are much better? I personally find 3 better than I did O2, but I guess that's not saying a great deal

What are the alternatives, are there any who are much better? I personally find 3 better than I did O2, but I guess that's not saying a great deal

Meteor. They are cheaper than 3 and have fantastic Sim Only deals.

200 Mins, 200 Texts, 1gb Data and free meteor calls and texts is only €15 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Hogzy wrote: »
    Meteor. They are cheaper than 3 and have fantastic Sim Only deals.

200 Mins, 200 Texts, 1gb Data and free meteor calls and texts is only €15 per month.

I'm on meteor too, i'd recommend them aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

i find meteor very good also...have a galaxy s plus and on €20 pm i get
    unlimited texts to any network( i txt more than talk) and 1gb data which is plenty because theres wifi in lots of places now

Advertisement