Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats in my box?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Are those 7.62s for the likes of a AK-47?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Are those 7.62s for the likes of a AK-47?

Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Once you don't do an Anders Breivik!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭dasa29

So when are you getting your Bren LMG:D.

As to why some of the mags are marked 28 Rnds it is to do with the spring not been able to take 30Rnds and still function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Good to see someone has their 2012 end of the world priorities right. There's no point having a years supply of canned food if you've no way to defend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

seanmacc wrote: »
    Good to see someone has their 2012 end of the world priorities right. There's no point having a years supply of canned food if you've no way to defend it.

heheh, Its really starting to look bad, I don't really consider myself a "prepper" or SHTFer or survivalist, but for some reason I keep acquiring the various accoutrements associated with such behavior!

My wife calls the safe, my "hole of shame", insofar as she'd be mortified if anyone saw its contents.

dasa29 wrote: »
    So when are you getting your Bren LMG:D.

In about 2-3 weeks!
    I cant wait.
    As to why some of the mags are marked 28 Rnds it is to do with the spring not been able to take 30Rnds and still function.

So the spring looses its "springy-ness" and doesn't have enough force to feed 30 rounds up but is OK with 28?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

harmoniums wrote: »
    In about 2-3 weeks!
    I cant wait.

So the spring looses its "springy-ness" and doesn't have enough force to feed 30 rounds up but is OK with 28?

Yeah, more or less. Unlike most magazine fed weapons, if the springs fails to maintain pressure on the stack, instead of a simple failure to feed, gravity will dump rounds into the action, causing some nasty jams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Looking at this makes me jealous! Would love a shot of the bren again!!!

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Looking at this makes me jealous! Would love a shot of the bren again!!!

If you're ever over stateside give me a PM, I'll take you to the range!
    I've been trying to collect the range of small arms the Irish Army have fielded over the years, so far I have:

A bunch of FF marked No1Mk3s
    A bunch of "Irish Contract" No4M2s
    A few Webleys, in 455 and 38
    A FN-FAL (well actually an L1A1, but its as close as I can get)
    A BAP
    A Steyr Aug copy by Microtech.

Soon to come, the Bren
    I'm also trying to get a Semi-Auto converted FN-MAG, but these are rare.

One cool piece I picked up is a german naval luger surplussed out from Irish Army stores, one of 21 on the shelf.
    The operating theory is that it was taken by the arresting party (along with the other 20) from Roger Casement when he landed in Kerry, put into stores, then transferred to the free state army and then surplussed put in the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

harmoniums wrote: »
    If you're ever over stateside give me a PM, I'll take you to the range!
    I've been trying to collect the range of small arms the Irish Army have fielded over the years, so far I have:

A bunch of FF marked No1Mk3s
    A bunch of "Irish Contract" No4M2s
    A few Webleys, in 455 and 38
    A FN-FAL (well actually an L1A1, but its as close as I can get)
    A BAP
    A Steyr Aug copy by Microtech.

Soon to come, the Bren
    I'm also trying to get a Semi-Auto converted FN-MAG, but these are rare.

One cool piece I picked up is a german naval luger surplussed out from Irish Army stores, one of 21 on the shelf.
    The operating theory is that it was taken by the arresting party (along with the other 20) from Roger Casement when he landed in Kerry, put into stores, then transferred to the free state army and then surplussed put in the 90s.

Thats some collection and the theory about the Naval Luger is probably right and a true unique part of Irish history.My favourite weapon from my time in RDF/FCA in 90s was the Bren-then FAL-then Carl Gustav.Most of the CG I got to use were pretty worn out and loose by that stage but could still put a smile on my face:D I think its the only firearm from our offical history your missing??:confused:
    Any pic of the Naval Luger please:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

My favourite was the Lee Enfield, mk4 I think it was, you'd have some sore shoulder after a day at the range firing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

What's the Bren like to fire? No smart replies like "pull the trigger"! Unusual thread it has to be said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

.303's and Bren mags. Noice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

By the time I was in the FCA the brens were in their final days, I remember being informed of the 28 round thing as a rule but that 25 was the operating norm those days.

roundymac wrote: »
    My favourite was the Lee Enfield, mk4 I think it was, you'd have some sore shoulder after a day at the range firing that.

I have found its all in the hold, too loose or not in the pocket of the shoulder allows the rifle to pick up speed and recoil into the shoulder harder.
    If you hold it right and fairly tight, 303 isn't that bad.

I've got an old 1900 RIC carbine that weighs maybe 60% of a No4.
    That one will punish you if you're sloppy on your hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement