Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aion - Free to Play

Options
  • 29-01-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

I havent seen a thread on this so not sure if I missed it or it just hasnt been reported here.

http://www.aionfreetoplay.com/website/
    There's good news for all Daevas and those who wish to become one: from February 2012, Aion will be switching to a free-to-play model. The monthly subscriptions will be dropped and the basic game content will be available to you for free from the start. Additionally, we will be offering special packs that offer you further liberties: for example, opening your own store and collecting an unlimited daily amount of aether and essences.
    The existing players have special reason to be happy - they will be rewarded for their loyalty and can look forward to bonuses! More information on this can be found in the 'Free-to-Play Model' section.

At the same time as the switch to free-to-play comes a change in publisher. In Gameforge, NCsoft has a strong partner at its side in order to further develop and constantly improve Aion. The Gameforge team will not only be responsible for the new servers but will also take on responsibility for the operation and support of the game. We are always open to questions, suggestions and criticism, with the aim that we can mould Aion to incorporate your wishes.

You can find answers to many new features and any questions you may have in the FAQ. Information on many different topics has been gathered there with the hope of clearing any doubts you may have. If you have any questions that aren't answered, or should your expectations have not quite been met, you are more than welcome to send us an email to support@aionfreetoplay.com. Our support team will get back to you as soon as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

alot of the failed mmos goin free to play.i forsee rift goin free to play this time next year. maybe even swtor will go free to play in about 2 years time..

shame aion sucked though or id go back and try it for a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

CyberJuice wrote: »
    alot of the failed mmos goin free to play.i forsee rift goin free to play this time next year. maybe even swtor will go free to play in about 2 years time..

shame aion sucked though or id go back and try it for a month

I don't think so about rift, 85 million gross in 10 months from a new company is amazing, they also have gained 100 million in further investments, what they are doing is working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Limericks wrote: »
    I don't think so about rift, 85 million gross in 10 months from a new company is amazing, they also have gained 100 million in further investments, what they are doing is working for them.

Where did you see that figure? Is it accurate?

That's pretty impressive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Pretty sure rift wont be F2P for a very long time.
    More and more wow raiding guilds are switching to rift for the simple reason raiding is more difficult and thus more rewarding than what wow raiding has become.
    Yes those figures are accurate, ive seen articles about it on a few sites the last couple of weeks.
    Trion have on many occasions said rift will not be going f2p anytime soon and saying the game is doing well financially and they have no reason for it to go free 2 play at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

anyone got a spare beta key?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

Peetrik wrote: »
    anyone got a spare beta key?

a beta key for aion? the game has been out for a few years mate,beta ended long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

They are running beta testing for "aion free to play", on different servers than 'aion' at the moment.

If anyone got a key dumped in their spam folder I'd appriciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Dcully wrote: »
    More and more wow raiding guilds are switching to rift for the simple reason raiding is more difficult and thus more rewarding than what wow raiding has become.
    Yes those figures are accurate, ive seen articles about it on a few sites the last couple of weeks.
    Trion have on many occasions said rift will not be going f2p anytime soon and saying the game is doing well financially and they have no reason for it to go free 2 play at this time.

Aion #21 on the xfire gaming charts and Rift #42. No idea how much faith can be put in the chart though. It seems hard for any MMO to retain their initial subscription numbers and alot seem to move to the F2P model as they can make more money this way. Ìt wouldnt surprise me if Rift was to do the same altough I dont think it will be for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

QUOTE]

I'd like to see some references for that one, not to call you out but I've heard the exact opposite, with WoW raids being more challenging.

Alot of top riading guilds moved to Rift and came straight back, Manaflask.com had a good podcast last year about it. They typically do a roudntable with officers from the worlds top raiding guilds bi weekly and I vividly remember the one on Rift and how they all went and tried it, and left.

I havnt heard a peep of Rift from anyone in the WoW community for a long time : /

In relation to Aion, its still massive in Asia, but it just wont catch on in Europe. Its WAYY too grindy. Some gorgous effects, lovely apperances and art work, but just too much grind.

Might reinstall to give it another look see, considering I spent 50 quid and didnt play it more then a week

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

TheDoc wrote: »
    QUOTE]

I'd like to see some references for that one, not to call you out but I've heard the exact opposite, with WoW raids being more challenging.

Alot of top riading guilds moved to Rift and came straight back, Manaflask.com had a good podcast last year about it. They typically do a roudntable with officers from the worlds top raiding guilds bi weekly and I vividly remember the one on Rift and how they all went and tried it, and left.

I havnt heard a peep of Rift from anyone in the WoW community for a long time : /

In relation to Aion, its still massive in Asia, but it just wont catch on in Europe. Its WAYY too grindy. Some gorgous effects, lovely apperances and art work, but just too much grind.

Might reinstall to give it another look see, considering I spent 50 quid and didnt play it more then a week

Im only relaying what ive read on the official forums recently.
    Having said that if you listen to wow players they will say they are gaining all the rift guilds and vice versa.

Personally i havent raided in wow in over 8 months,it still enjoyed it but felt it was getting a tad too easy.
    Rift raiding however is offering a different challenge that feels to me more difficult.
    Im still a wow fanboy, ive quit so many times yet always come back as nothing seems to be able to keep my attention longterm quite like it but to be fair Rift is making a fair fist of it,massive amount of content both for raiding hardcore or casual and ofcourse solo play, the world events are fantastic.

Aion F2P? I might aswell avail of it since i too bought the game on release.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

TheDoc wrote: »

This was my problem with it as well. I remember getting to mid 20's, but it was such an absolute grind to get through levels, i quit. There weren't even enough quests in certain area's, and you had to grind mobs just to get through some zones.

Might have suited the Asian market, but not us. Looks great though, and i enjoyed the flying aspect of it.

Likewise I also found it grinding when you got to lvl 25+. I do believe there was work put into it to remove the grind altough this was a couple of months after its european release and I had stopped my subscription. I do plan on installing it again thought as I did believe it had a lot of potential and I really enjoyed it in its early levels.

Anyone do any reading up on any requirements past subscribers need to do? I saw something about having to trasnfer to a new server....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 diamondsny

Yea, it's free to play now because it's awful!

diamondsny wrote: »
    Yea, it's free to play now because it's awful!

Any games you do like?

Advertisement